• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    When hunting I put a piece of para cord on it that is neon yellow. Ever set a knife down while field dressing? they blend right into the leaves.

For a lost knife I just ask my son in law. Had a Kershaw Leek that I really liked and lost it. Bought another and moved on. Fast forward 5 years the Kids needed a bigger vehicle and I sold them the Expedition we had at the time. Son in Law was cleaning it out and called....the knife was under the seat.....

Don

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Actually more to that story. My shooting buddy who is gone now saw the Leek and bought one. He paid like $5 more than I did so I had to remind him every chance that came about that. When I lost mine, I found one on sale so the difference was even greater which triggered even more commentary. I misplaced the replacement and he had the upper hand until a gun show we were at had one that was engraved as a giveaway for company that went out of business. Bought it new for half price and I was back ahead. The argument about whether out qualified because it was engraved ensued.
    He traveled for business a lot and had to admit sending it home from the airport a couple times which added to the harassment of cost.

In the end I found all of them and had 4 of them. Unfortunately my friend succumbed to cancer just before he retired. Miss him a lot at times.

Don

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    About 25 years ago I lost a Sog Autoclip, on the north side of a 40 acre field, a pass or 2 in from the road, just north east of the hog barns. You know. Over there.
    Had laid it on an implement tire and then drove off.
    12-15 years ago my brother found it so I still have it.

To my memory that’s the only knife I’ve ever lost.

I’ve seen employees loose a lot though. It’s about attitude, priorities, and keeping your wits about you. Very easy to stick a knife in a trench wall and then finish your work and jump out.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I used to carry my grandfather's Case XX knife until I lost it in the yard somewhere. I was sick to myself. Took me a week or two to get around to buying a replacement then I found the one I lost. I was looking on ebay for one identical to my grandfather's knife and realized it was worth a nice chunk of change and was made from 1954 to 1957. I kept carrying the new one and stashed the grandfather's knife away to give to one of kids or grandchildren.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I don't loose knives when I'm away from the house but I do loose knives when I'm working around the property.

I use Tile brand location tags for my wallet and keys so after loosing my 3rd knife I attached a Tile to my chore knife. Outside of chores I carry a different knife. It is cumbersome and I don't think Ill keep it long term. I still think of it as a trial.
    If I do keep it I'll change the zip tie for something smaller.

1670417576352.png

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I’ve got knives that I’ve carried for decades never lost. Others lost’m in a week. I’ve found those with pocket clips to be most prone to losing they catch on everything you sit or rub on. Belt holsters seem to me to be the least likely for me to loose. I’ve lost at least one for a year squirrel hunting and found it next season. Tried the buy hi dollar and you will pay attention to it approach that didn’t work. I’ve lost almost all of my knives while working cattle because their is so much going on it’s easy to put down for a second and never think about it till you need it. Now I just EDC a cheap S&W and buy 3, 4 at a time from SMKW. 10 bucks each. Don’t lose a bit of sleep over it. Some show back up, others meh….JMO

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    I actually used to lose the cheaper ones, and haven't lost more expensive ones.

Removing pocket clips is actually a great idea. A lot of companies also offer "Gentleman's folders" and some of those fit better in the pockets.

Great thread OP :thumbsup:

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I put reflective tape on everything big enough for it to stick to but small enough to carry around.
    By your profile pic I presume you're a hunter.
    I'll avoid losing knives by not using a hunting knife with a camo handle.
    If I'm on my knees field dressing a deer after dark, in rough grass or in the woods and I set a camo knife down for an instant I'll probably never see it again.

I like bright orange handles on hunting knives I use for deer.

Top Bottom