• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I'd lookup the items on an auction site like shopgoodwill.com because you can get an estimate of what things are actually selling for. When you check, make sure you search "closed auctions" that ended in the last 90 days. I prefer that site over ebay because you can have fake or manilpulated posts.

I have no idea how to value furniture.

Good luck.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    We had Lawson's in Danville take care of my Mom's items for us when she passed in 2020. She liked to buy stuff but never sold anything. It took 2 and 1/2 large box trucks full to haul all the stuff to the auction house. As others have said, get all charges that will be applied up front. There was a charge for the trucks, loading and unloading, sorting and a percent ( I think it was 40%, her stuff wasn't worth much) for the auction house. My experience with auctions is usually you get pennies on the dollar with some exceptions. If you are needing to get more, an auction is not the way to go, but it will take a lot more work on your part. Good luck.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: are you retired?

You've stated that you need the money.

There's a market for everything in the right space - like Ebay - as has been mentioned.

If *I* were retired, I'd give selling piece-meal a go on Ebay.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Not technically retired, but no longer working so have plenty of free time.

I don't really NEED much money or top dollar, I just don't want to let anything with reasonable value go without knowing how much it's really worth or unnecessarily being sent to the dump.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not technically retired, but no longer working so have plenty of free time.

I don't really NEED much money or top dollar, I just don't want to let anything with reasonable value go without knowing how much it's really worth or unnecessarily being sent to the dump.
    Then I would suggest learning and setting up with eBay also.
    My girl hussles, after her regular job, maybe 2 hours on weekdays, taking 3 to 400 pictures over a few days and then posting items for sale.
    Weekends are for garage, estate, Goodwill Buy the Pound and regular stores. Auctions when possible.
    I drop off her packages that ship daily, ups to our local cvs and the post office.
    When you think about items in your home she has items like junk jewelry, salt and pepper shakers, christmas do'dads, old glass paperweights. She averages 350 to 500 listed items. If she can get it in a shipping bag or box it gets listed.
    She does very well reselling.
    If you pay attention when at junk sales, goodwill and other places you see loads of people rooting through items while on there phone. They are all resellers seeing what that .25 cent to $10.00 item has sold for.
    Almost daily I see silly stuff he bought for .25 to a 1.00 sell for 9 to 40 bucks.
    I gave ger my shipping table and she orders most shipping supplys off Prime and I replace usps boxes for her when I drop off packages going out.
    Hers just some of her stuff that in the needs to be listed for sale.
    20221201_114743.jpg

20221201_114853.jpg

There are eBay groups for support and learning that game.
    Its fun to set your phone up to alert you when you've sold and item and again when you've been paid. Her alerts sound like an old cash register. Other people in her office yell "Show me the Money" when it ching chings twice.
    Plus it will keep you busy, make you learn from mistakes, and every week you will be gaining legroom in your home.

Top Bottom