• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    It's been 7 years now since I lost my wife (RIP) and need to de-clutter my house and possibly think about moving on to a different place since the equity in my home is near an all time high.

How can I separate junk from possibly valuable items? i.e my wife had a lot of vintage costume jewelry. I know some of it can be valuable but most is likely junk.

Other examples include a large collection of depression glassware - black amethyst and a solid Cherry bedroom suite, etc.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    In my house im a minimalist, in the garage or shop im a horder.
    In the house it it hasn't been used in say two years, I get rid of it.
    If my boys dont want it, eBay or Facebook Marketplace to be sold.

I to have a bunch of my gmothers pink glass and plated silver.
    Im not sure if there is a market for it any longer?
    I look at what items have sold for on eBay, that will give you a good idea of what things are worth.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yeah, me too. I hoard tools, car parts, reloading supplies and computing equipment.

But the uneeded furniture, jewelry and dishware has to go and I hesitate to junk anything that might be of value since I could use the money.

And yes, there's not much market for much of it nowadays since the young crowd only wants shiny new things. It seems a shame to just junk alot if it's historical (or antique). Much of it was made long ago and will never be made again.

Maybe I'm just to sensitive to waste like that and I should get over it.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    The auction response is the easiest method. Have an experienced auctioneer walk through the house, point out everything you want to get rid of, he’ll either haul items off and try to get top dollar for a piece of the action, or tell you it’s junk and should go to the landfill.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Do you have a consignment shop/treasure mart where you are at?
    There are several flea markets around here that consign things, so I could try that route.

I'm just lost in this domain, I have no idea how to seek out competent auctioneers/assessors and not sure if I can afford such a service at the moment depending on the cost/commissions.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    There are several flea markets around here that consign things, so I could try that route.

I'm just lost in this domain, I have no idea how to seek out competent auctioneers/assessors and not sure if I can afford such a service at the moment depending on the cost/commissions.
    The part that scares me is, I now have a shop I really dont use any longer.
    To allow an auction is just frightening to allow so many I dont know into my world.
    So many really expensive smalls that can easily walk away. I would kirk out before it was over.
    My ex added to the pink glass along with like 75? Hallmark metal Peddle cars nib that were 40-$75.00 each, they are now worth 25% of what we paid.
    Along with boxes full of nib Hallmark tree ornaments.
    I'll be glad when my sons buy homes and I can start dropping off truckloads to them.
    Heres your safe son, and a planer, scroll saw and a 20" bandsaw.
    Love you, see you next weekend.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I'm with you on that.

And I don't really have any family to pass them on to.

I have a niece and that's about it. I doubt she'd want any of it.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    My sister and I had Estate Solvers handle the sale of my mother's items last year.
    They are two sisters located in Evansville that set up, photograph list for auction, action items, distribute items and collect funds.
    They were very honest and straight forward with us.
    They may be able to handle your items or refer you to someone in your area, if they don't travel that far.
    My mom had a bunch of collectable items that my sister and I just didn't know anything about. Some odd items brought way more than we thought. Then some items we thought were big didn't sell for much.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Alot of Collectibles / Junk depends on the Market

A Phantom of the Opera Music Box ornament can be $500 or $5 depending on When and Who

Ebay- Phantom Monkey Music box
    My girl does eBay as a side gig, it is shocking what some items sell for. A $20.00 Nascar jacket biught in Matthews at the bridge festival for 20 bucks sold for 175.00
    This non working Merry Go Round was bought for 5 bucks. It had a few bad plastic drive gears, a 15.00 Amazon bag of gears and it sold for $220.00
    20221130_131020.jpg

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    It's been 7 years now since I lost my wife (RIP) and need to de-clutter my house and possibly think about moving on to a different place since the equity in my home is near an all time high.

How can I separate junk from possibly valuable items? i.e my wife had a lot of vintage costume jewelry. I know some of it can be valuable but most is likely junk.

Other examples include a large collection of depression glassware - black amethyst and a solid Cherry bedroom suite, etc.
    Is the bedroom suite kingsize or queensize?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Queen. It is a dresser w/mirror, 2 end tables and a coffee table.

I guess not technically a bedroom suite, but a collection of cherry furniture.

cherry_dresser.JPG cherry_table.JPG

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I can help haul if you pay me in attic Arisakas, which I am told is the standard currency of such labor

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    If you are in Indy call Christys auction house on the south side. They do a lot of those kind of estate auctions. They will come in assess your items then they can move them to their location for auction. They don't require any out of pocket money, its a percentage of the sale taken before they issue you a check. I don't remember the exact percentage but you don't have to deal with any of it. My wife is supposed to call them and have my stuff auctioned if anything were to happen to me.

Top Bottom