• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Gurss thats what I get for trying to type with a Dachshund on my lap. Heres what I was trying to state. My apologies

Most of us that do rotate ammo probably change more than needed That said, My Agency changes out every 90 days and u used ammo in the is is3d case at the 5 year mark for training and qualifications. For my off duty stuff I change about every year If its a gun (primarily one that doesn't get the taken in and out constantly. Like a Model 15 revolver and another gun we keep I rarely change them out but maybe 5 year mark. But they aren't getring cycled or loaded/unloaded either

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Gurss thats what I get for trying to type with a Dachshund on my lap. Heres what I was trying to state. My apologies

Most of us that do rotate ammo probably change more than needed That said, My Agency changes out every 90 days and u used ammo in the is is3d case at the 5 year mark for training and qualifications. For my off duty stuff I change about every year If its a gun (primarily one that doesn't get the taken in and out constantly. Like a Model 15 revolver and another gun we keep I rarely change them out but maybe 5 year mark. But they aren't getring cycled or loaded/unloaded either

:): That makes sense! Glad you're okay. :yesway:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

Is this the same dog that ate your homework? lol

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've had most all my SD ammo for the same period of time. What I carry varies on the weapon I'm carrying.
    I have some 15 yr old ammo (approx) I'm still using. It's been stored properly.
    My 1911s seem to have the oldest ammo. IF It's still nice and shiny I don't worry about it. I do have to watch out for short rounds after removing and rechambering multiple times. I've had .45acp almost 1/8" shorter than recommended OAL due to rechambering too often.
    I haven't had any issues on my SD carry ammo. Ever. I do use the barrel drop test occasionally when I pull down my SD guns for cleaning, maintenance, and inspection. This usually done more out of boredom than out of necessity.
    I should know better than put this in print but I've got some .45acp fmj from 1952 in some of my mags in my shoulder rig. I have a lot of this ammo and I've probably fired over 5K rounds. NO problems. Again, my ammo has been properly stored. It's fired off soon if I get it wet or in the winter if I'm in and out with a lot of temperature change. I worry about condensation with it.
    I still shoot frequently. Bottom line... I don't worry about the age of my ammo. SD or practice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I ordered a decent supply of my chosen EDC ammo about a year ago. I swap out every year at the beginning of the year. I've thought about rolling my own and that would probably change how often I rotate it out but for now it's Fed HST refreshed annually.

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    Long story short. I date the ammo I purchase with a Sharpie. Deep cleaned out a car last fall that I sold. Found about half of a box of Golden Sabers dated 10/2014 that fell between the split back seat upppers. Almost 6 years of winter/spring/summer/fall/hot/cold/dry/humid. Shot them about a month ago. All went bang.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I've had most all my SD ammo for the same period of time. What I carry varies on the weapon I'm carrying.
    I have some 15 yr old ammo (approx) I'm still using. It's been stored properly.
    My 1911s seem to have the oldest ammo. IF It's still nice and shiny I don't worry about it. I do have to watch out for short rounds after removing and rechambering multiple times. I've had .45acp almost 1/8" shorter than recommended OAL due to rechambering too often.
    I haven't had any issues on my SD carry ammo. Ever. I do use the barrel drop test occasionally when I pull down my SD guns for cleaning, maintenance, and inspection. This usually done more out of boredom than out of necessity.
    I should know better than put this in print but I've got some .45acp fmj from 1952 in some of my mags in my shoulder rig. I have a lot of this ammo and I've probably fired over 5K rounds. NO problems. Again, my ammo has been properly stored. It's fired off soon if I get it wet or in the winter if I'm in and out with a lot of temperature change. I worry about condensation with it.
    I still shoot frequently. Bottom line... I don't worry about the age of my ammo. SD or practice.

Ammo that is stored properly will likely outlive us, ammo that is carried on your person daily, should be rotated out-of-service at some regular interval because your person is not ideal storage conditions.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Sadly...my 'annual' ammo trade-out is done on January 1st...old habit from many years ago!
    This got me thinking on maybe doing it every 6 months...
    January 1st and July 4th seem to be pretty good dates for me to be able to remember consistently!

Which brought me to the next question, "How old some of the ammo in my house???"
    I went through and looked and I still have some from the late '90's that's still hanging around...
    Including some of the original Black Talon stuff in .357 magnum...but I've also got some of the newer T-Series ammo!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Sadly...my 'annual' ammo trade-out is done on January 1st...old habit from many years ago!
    This got me thinking on maybe doing it every 6 months...
    January 1st and July 4th seem to be pretty good dates for me to be able to remember consistently!

Which brought me to the next question, "How old some of the ammo in my house???"
    I went through and looked and I still have some from the late '90's that's still hanging around...
    Including some of the original Black Talon stuff in .357 magnum...but I've also got some of the newer T-Series ammo!

Well we have some that must be at least 40 years or older. One of these days I am going to try to date it. My wife inherited it from her Grandfather.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well we have some that must be at least 40 years or older. One of these days I am going to try to date it. My wife inherited it from her Grandfather.

40 years? Heck, that's practically brand new! :): I've got some 8mm Mauser ammo (okay, I know it's not "carry ammo") from 1937. Still goes bang. Of course it's corrosive. That stuff was made to last a long time.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ammunition does not have a "use by" date or shelf life. Unless physically damaged it does not cease to be functional. My daily carry ammo was carefully assembled by me in 1990. I have absolutely no doubt it will fire just fine. That said - I would never place that kind of faith in factory produced ammunition after seeing rounds with no flash hole in the case, primers loaded upside down and sideways or no powder from major brand names like Winchester and Remington.......

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Ammunition does not have a "use by" date or shelf life. Unless physically damaged it does not cease to be functional. My daily carry ammo was carefully assembled by me in 1990. I have absolutely no doubt it will fire just fine. That said - I would never place that kind of faith in factory produced ammunition after seeing rounds with no flash hole on the case and no powder from major brand names.

I fully agree, almost 30 years ago I went to The Gun Barn Gun store auction, in Anderson and bought loads of stuff. The old man was a High Power shooter long ago, I bought a paper drum that floor sweep comes in almost full on FA 1923 primed brass that was in his garage a long long time. I have a few hundred left and if one chambers one I am quite sure it will POP when struck.
    I have primers and ammo my dad and grandfather loaded before I was born in 58 that still goes bang.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have factory fodder from the 40’s that my dad gave me that shoot just fine. We shot the 38 S&W just the other day. The lead is corroded but I wiped them off with steel wool and the shot fine.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I carry daily on my person. IWB and a spare mag on the other side. I work with the gun on and I sweat like the fat man I am. It has a tendency to make the ammo and mags look not so fresh. I pull the mags once a week and wipe them down, but I still get rust on them.

Have decided that I will cycle thru my ammo after maybe six months and I replace the mags once a year. I just move them to the range bag.

Coincidentally I shot my carry ammo yesterday on a spontaneous range trip with the spouse. It all went bang. Fresh ammo in there now.

Top Bottom