• ...and so much more!
  • VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Good Day!
    I've got a couple of rifle rest bags that I want to fill with sand. I've got a Protektor #14 bunny ear bag and a #2 Owl ear bag. Anybody know how much "heavy" sand I'll need to fill both ofthese? Sinclair sells 15lbs in a kit, but I don't know if these will be enough.
    Thoughts?

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Someone earlier this summer on INGO suggested using cut-offs from jeans for bags. We used some cut-offs from khaki's that we turned into shorts. Worked well but heavy. Will probably mix 50/50 sand with sawdust on the next one.

Dad likes to sew.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I have made lots of bags/rests using old blue jean material and play ground sand. The playground sand or fine silica sand works well due to it being heavy and forms well.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    While I can't answer Vince's question, I will say this thread has given me an answer.

Every time I wear out a pair of jeans I cut the legs off. It's a nice big piece of usable cloth so I don't want to toss it out, but I've never found a use for it. Now I know what I'm going to do with them.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    While I can't answer Vince's question, I will say this thread has given me an answer.

Every time I wear out a pair of jeans I cut the legs off. It's a nice big piece of usable cloth so I don't want to toss it out, but I've never found a use for it. Now I know what I'm going to do with them.

^^^^ Same here, I don't know why I didn't thing about this before. The cut off's will be a perfect size..^^^^^

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    ^^^^ Same here, I don't know why I didn't thing about this before. The cut off's will be a perfect size..^^^^^

The actually are a perfect size. Sew up one end completely, sew the other end with about a 1" opening for a funnel, fill to desired level and sew the 1" hole shut.

Quick and easy sandbag that is actually pretty good.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The actually are a perfect size. Sew up one end completely, sew the other end with about a 1" opening for a funnel, fill to desired level and sew the 1" hole shut.

Quick and easy sandbag that is actually pretty good.

One of the 4H kids did this for our shooting club about 10 years ago. She did a bang up job (no pun intended), we're still using them. Complete with bedazzles......

Top Bottom