• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What’s the range you spend on your EDC?

• $1 - $75

Votes: 29 34.9%
    • $76 - $150

Votes: 27 32.5%
    • $151 - $250

Votes: 20 24.1%
    • $251 - $400

Votes: 12 14.5%
    • $401+

Votes: 4 4.8%
    • Blade steel, fit & finish. Whatever it costs

Votes: 3 3.6%
    • I carry bacon daily

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Correct , got hired on right out of college, I am very fortunate to love my job.
    I would have loved to worked in Tipton just for the metal knowledge that was available.
    As you know, The rest of it just sucked.
    My limited knowledge stops after T1, 4140 round and DM stock, AR 400 and AR500.
    When first drilling AR500 plate the engineers at Champion Drill and I became phone friends. I ended up buying a Jauncy 4x4 and using flooded carbide tipped annular cutters and lock drills.

Part of my business was building and rebuilding Vibratory Plow Blades.
    Some metals are darn smart. lol

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I carry different knifes on different days depending on if there is a Special Task I need to do

Favorite is a Stanley Mini 3.5" ... great for opening boxes and under $5 if I loose it ...

View attachment 211008

I think I just discovered a new EDC? Just what I want. Affordable and easily replaceable that I'm not shy of using roughly to take away from precision sharpness needed for the next thing...

20221125_192210.jpg

Honestly though, it was the bitholder that sold me to start with.

Last edited:

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I think I just discovered a new EDC? Just what I want. Affordable and easily replaceable that I'm not shy of using roughly to take away from precision sharpness needed for the next thing...

View attachment 239806
    I would love a utility knife like that one that's assisted opening. Milwaukee could probably find a way to fit a battery on there too. Or at least some pack out clips...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I would have loved to worked in Tipton just for the metal knowledge that was available.
    As you know, The rest of it just sucked.
    My limited knowledge stops after T1, 4140 round and DM stock, AR 400 and AR500.
    When first drilling AR500 plate the engineers at Champion Drill and I became phone friends. I ended up buying a Jauncy 4x4 and using flooded carbide tipped annular cutters and lock drills.

Part of my business was building and rebuilding Vibratory Plow Blades.
    Some metals are darn smart. lol
    So in true INGO fashion (see avatar), I’m going to jack this thread…

Wondering if you could help me out?
    I’ve been pondering a wear question on a piece of equipment for a while… it’s a wheel trencher, Hydromaxx 2600 company link - https://portindustries.com/

On the side of the digging wheel, made up of ‘buckets’, there is a tooth holder that accepts a backhoe bucket tooth. These teeth are wearing faster than normal, and getting more expensive. They do take some serious impacts from rocks, while digging out the trench to the right width.
    My question is would it be feasible to weld a 2 1/2” wide by 4” long piece of AR 500 to the tooth holder and build that up as needed?

How do you build up plow blades and would any of that apply?

BF1957DA-59CB-450F-B0EE-D478DF41434E.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So in true INGO fashion (see avatar), I’m going to jack this thread…

Wondering if you could help me out?
    I’ve been pondering a wear question on a piece of equipment for a while… it’s a wheel trencher, Hydromaxx 2600 company link - https://portindustries.com/

On the side of the digging wheel, made up of ‘buckets’, there is a tooth holder that accepts a backhoe bucket tooth. These teeth are wearing faster than normal, and getting more expensive. They do take some serious impacts from rocks, while digging out the trench to the right width.
    My question is would it be feasible to weld a 2 1/2” wide by 4” long piece of AR 500 to the tooth holder and build that up as needed?

How do you build up plow blades and would any of that apply?

View attachment 239823
    Ive seen plate welded or bolted with body fit or snowplow edge bolts and nuts across the teeth of a bucket to help with wear.
    I have a bunch of Vermeer LM 35.40 and 42 AR500 plow blanks in 1/2" thick and are ?? 6 1/2" wide and say 30 +" long.
    If you would like a few to cut and try I would be more than glad to toss a few in a large flat rate box and ship them to you?
    Or if your close a meet and eat?
    I can snap a few pics of one tomorrow if your interested.

With smaller plow blades like the walk beside Vermeers, Berkeens, Ditch Witch and other smaller machines I would normally use a plasma and cut out the bullet and wear portion and weld in a new piece of flat stock and bullet.
    Larger blades I would add AR flat plate in the needed thickness and then the never ending 7018 buildup and finish with hardface wear bars.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Ive seen plate welded or bolted with body fit or snowplow edge bolts and nuts across the teeth of a bucket to help with wear.
    I have a bunch of Vermeer LM 35.40 and 42 AR500 plow blanks in 1/2" thick and are ?? 6 1/2" wide and say 30 +" long.
    If you would like a few to cut and try I would be more than glad to toss a few in a large flat rate box and ship them to you?
    Or if your close a meet and eat?
    I can snap a few pics of one tomorrow if your interested.

With smaller plow blades like the walk beside Vermeers, Berkeens, Ditch Witch and other smaller machines I would normally use a plasma and cut out the bullet and wear portion and weld in a new piece of flat stock and bullet.
    Larger blades I would add AR flat plate in the needed thickness and then the never ending 7018 buildup and finish with hardface wear bars.
    I’ll let you know I’m really don’t have any metallurgy knowledge at all…

Do I assume correctly I could plasma cut the pieces you have into 3”ish by 4”ish pieces without taking the wear or hardness properties out of the AR?

If so I’d be happy to buy your lunch and buy some steel.

I actually have my usual steel supplier checking into what these cut pieces would cost, but they’ll probably be high. Great service, will do whatever, but you pay for it.

We do quite a bit of buildup/hardfacing and would commit to doing that on these teeth as that would be about as quick as changing them out.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I’ll let you know I’m really don’t have any metallurgy knowledge at all…

Do I assume correctly I could plasma cut the pieces you have into 3”ish by 4”ish pieces without taking the wear or hardness properties out of the AR?

If so I’d be happy to buy your lunch and buy some steel.

I actually have my usual steel supplier checking into what these cut pieces would cost, but they’ll probably be high. Great service, will do whatever, but you pay for it.

We do quite a bit of buildup/hardfacing and would commit to doing that on these teeth as that would be about as quick as changing them out.
    I cut most of my plate out myself then on a 4'x4' plasma table. I never noticed any excessive wear or problems with what I cut.
    O'neals saleman stopped in one day and I was cutting some AR and he asked why I didnt get these parts cut by them on a enhanced gang plasma. Back then I was charged just under a buck a cutting foot. I could spend that almost in just consumables much less with adding dry air and elect.
    I'll post a few pics tomorrow. At minimum you can cut and try a few different styles for almost nothing.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I cut most of my plate out myself then on a 4'x4' plasma table. I never noticed any excessive wear or problems with what I cut.
    O'neals saleman stopped in one day and I was cutting some AR and he asked why I didnt get these parts cut by them on a enhanced gang plasma. Back then I was charged just under a buck a cutting foot. I could spend that almost in just consumables much less with adding dry air and elect.
    I'll post a few pics tomorrow. At minimum you can cut and try a few different styles for almost nothing.

Same vein, how do you feel about hard facing? I know back in the 40's/50's it was a very popular thing to do with our Alloy. 6B would definitely work well for that application

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Same vein, how do you feel about hard facing? I know back in the 40's/50's it was a very popular thing to do with our Alloy. 6B would definitely work well for that application
    I know The Kennametal name for some reason. I want to say ive used there replacable carbide tipped cutters used on some chain trenchers and asphalt grinders.
    One plow blade co Triple D uses there cutters as replacable plow blade bullets.
    Most of the hard face rod I have is "Stoody" rod.
    I have some hardface with chunks of carbide in it that you braze on.
    I used it on 12" to 24" percussion drill bits.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is all very interesting. Not to be a dick or anything, but why don't you gents start a thread in an appropriate forum to discuss it? :scratch:

You could even post a link to your new thread and visa versa, if you think folks interested in heavy equipment and ditching discussion might be interested in pocket knives and the opposite? :dunno:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    This is all very interesting. Not to be a dick or anything, but why don't you gents start a thread in an appropriate forum to discuss it? :scratch:

You could even post a link to your new thread and visa versa, if you think folks interested in heavy equipment and ditching discussion might be interested in pocket knives and the opposite? :dunno:
    I mean, it is an edged tool, but yea I get it. Sorry.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Top Bottom