• ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm with @Leadeye
    I buy parts on sale, and when I have enough to assemble I put one together.

That’s the difference in most firearm projects and other projects for me. The gun projects are just saving money to buy bolt on parts and I guess I don’t really consider that a project unless it’s more in-depth. I have a few firearms I want to have the barrels threaded on and one I want Cerakoted, but to me that’s also just hiring someone else to do work. I guess those are projects, but in my head it’s really just things to throw money at, where actual projects are things I’ve come up with to build from scratch.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That’s the difference in most firearm projects and other projects for me. The gun projects are just saving money to buy bolt on parts and I guess I don’t really consider that a project unless it’s more in-depth. I have a few firearms I want to have the barrels threaded on and one I want Cerakoted, but to me that’s also just hiring someone else to do work. I guess those are projects, but in my head it’s really just things to throw money at, where actual projects are things I’ve come up with to build from scratch.

Check these guys out they help you diy. They even have courses, but you'd need to go to Missouri for them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    In my version of TPS, if you're married, all unfinished projects are reclassified from "WIP" to "safety stock" or "critical spares."

In theory, this keeps the Purchasing Manager from putting a hold on new procurement.
    It's important to utilize 5S if you have many projects. No use in not being able to progress due to not being organized.

I work for a company that is based on TPS and I use it wherever I can in my personal life.

It is the way.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Someday I really need to check out 3D printing for those unobtainium parts. I bought two Cooper revolvers and had enough parts between the two to get one shooting. The other is missing a lot but I would like to reproduce the missing parts.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I always have 3 or more in progress. it's good to have other projects to work on whenever my "highest priority" project has to wait for an ordered part, better weather, drying time, or any other specific circumstances. And I always have a long backlog of projects to start. Never a dull moment.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Wait.....you guys are able to keep track of all your projects?

If anyone tells my wife that there is such a thing as "to many projects" I am going to be pizzed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wait.....you guys are able to keep track of all your projects?

If anyone tells my wife that there is such a thing as "to many projects" I am going to be pizzed.
    We won't tell. Promise.

But I do believe that one can have too many projects. If a person has started so many that they get in the way of one another and there is zero forward progress on any of them because you just don't know where to start or you are overwhelmed or not enough time in a day/week/month/year, then I would suggest jettisoning some of them and pare down to a number that is workable.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    We won't tell. Promise.

But I do believe that one can have too many projects. If a person has started so many that they get in the way of one another and there is zero forward progress on any of them because you just don't know where to start or you are overwhelmed or not enough time in a day/week/month/year, then I would suggest jettisoning some of them and pare down to a number that is workable.
    Oh I'm sure I have to many. It's like a constant rotation depending on availability of stuff or weather or both or motivation.

And I'm currently looking at another. :wallbash:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Someday I really need to check out 3D printing for those unobtainium parts. I bought two Cooper revolvers and had enough parts between the two to get one shooting. The other is missing a lot but I would like to reproduce the missing parts.
    Yes and no. That's a whole genre of projects. First you have to figure out what you want to print leading to which printer to get. While you're figuring it out, you buy another for what it can't do. Then another because it was cheap. in the course of figuring out how to use them you find all sorts of other things to print. Then you realize you need a resin printer too and it repeats. Eventually you come back to the project you originally bought it for and realize it would be better handled by a lathe... Meanwhile you have another workroom full of printing stuff and a house full of trinkets and decorations.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Talking gun projects are we? Let’s be honest here. Who has time for gun projects when we all receive “Honey Do” lists for projects that never end from our most significant other! LOL!

List? I'd love to have a list. I have "Honey Do" books (think "War and Peace" length) volumes 1 thru 6!:runaway:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    73. Unless one is a remodel that involves plumbing or any sort of car restoration from a state that sees winters. Then -3 and have a suicide prevention hotline on speed dial and/or copious amounts of coping fluids to imbibe.
    We must be related.
    I don't even want to count the projects i have in various status... I definitely have a patient wife. 3 car projects on going and too many gun ones to count. Kid just bought a house that is a total remodel also. He paid to have it totally repiped so i'm off the hook on that one. lmao.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I prioritize.
    Stuff I want to do.
    Stuff I have to do.
    Stuff my wife wants me to do.
    It's not in that order.
    I'm pretty close.

Stuff I want to do.
    Stuff I should do.
    Stuff I'm never gonna do.
    Everything else.

I just finished a big rocket stove yesterday and gave it a test run today. Melted a few pounds of lead in about 30 minute starting from a cold stove to ready to pour.

1696016539049.png

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Dang I feel lazy... guess that's why I'm not rich....but I have a great wife, 3 kids....2 great kids, 1 stepkid a waste of air....a roof over my head, a few guns in the safe, food in the fridge, and gas in the cars, Not all bad, just not a "projects"guy.......

Top Bottom