How many actually vote on issue of retaining Judges?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Up north we rarely hear anything pertaining to the Judge retention question(s) that often appear on ballot, prior to the election.

Is that by design, is the consensus among those in the know that the less pre-election coverage, the greater the retention or do we just suffer lack of information out here in the sticks cause of where we are?

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I don't know the answer, but I have the same question. Do you guys research judges to make a decision. Since I'm basically ignorant of their record, I generally just leave it blank, but I'm sure that's not a responsible way to handle it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Cross posting from a similar thread.

There is a resource to see all of the judicial bios and links to all their decisions.

https://www.in.gov/judiciary/5572.htm

After some basic research, I voted "yes" to retain State Supreme Court Justice Goff and District Court Judges Elaine Brown and Cale Bradford.

Just keep in mind no judge has ever not been retained since Indiana went to this retention process in the 1970s.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Up north we rarely hear anything pertaining to the Judge retention question(s) that often appear on ballot, prior to the election.

Is that by design, is the consensus among those in the know that the less pre-election coverage, the greater the retention or do we just suffer lack of information out here in the sticks cause of where we are?

On my way home from voting, I heard my first ever commercial for retaining judges. Turns out, it was for judges in Michigan!

But yeah. School boards, judges are just left blank.

I seem to recall a time when I voted "no" for them all......

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Cross posting from a similar thread.

There is a resource to see all of the judicial bios and links to all their decisions.

https://www.in.gov/judiciary/5572.htm

After some basic research, I voted "yes" to retain State Supreme Court Justice Goff and District Court Judges Elaine Brown and Cale Bradford.

Just keep in mind no judge has ever not been retained since Indiana went to this retention process in the 1970s.

This year I've done the same. I want to start doing my research well ahead of time from now on concerning all elections, and convince others to do the same.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    On my way home from voting, I heard my first ever commercial for retaining judges. Turns out, it was for judges in Michigan!

But yeah. School boards, judges are just left blank.

I seem to recall a time when I voted "no" for them all......

One advantage of living in a small town, many people know each other and vote for school board positions. In the past, it's mostly been based on popularity, but nowadays, with the growth of my town and the new normal of $70 million dollar bond issues for taj mahal modern schools, it's become a real issue. This spring "we" passed said $70 million bond, and it's gonna cost me a bunch in property taxes. That on top of the $40 million spent a few years ago that "we" just extended into perpetuity. These may not be the exact numbers - but you get the gist of it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I always forget to research. So I just leave them blank. And for us, this was a good teaching moment for our kids*. We were able to demonstrate that not voting for an office, issue, referendum, etc is acceptable if you are not educated on the issue. In fact, it can be dangerous to blindly vote without knowing why.

*we homeschool, so we took them with. While we were in line the wife taught a unit on how elections work in the US, and how our govt is structured as we made our way slowly along.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    I do, did some research before hand. Anyone else have less machines but additional precincts added? A lot of unhappy people waiting 3-4 hours to vote. Consolidate locations and cut machines in half, Not real smart...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I always forget to research. So I just leave them blank. And for us, this was a good teaching moment for our kids*. We were able to demonstrate that not voting for an office, issue, referendum, etc is acceptable if you are not educated on the issue. In fact, it can be dangerous to blindly vote without knowing why.

*we homeschool, so we took them with. While we were in line the wife taught a unit on how elections work in the US, and how our govt is structured as we made our way slowly along.

Sounds like next time you should create an assignment for the kids to do the research and write a report / recommendation on candidates based on the criteria and issues you and the wife provide.

Top Bottom