How long will gun manufacturers keep headquartered in blue states?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I just saw today that Ruger is getting sued over a murderer in Colorado two years ago. Ruger has chosen to stay in Connecticut where the court has allowed these people to file a lawsuit despite the Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. Even if they win, the legal costs are transferred to us in the end, if they don't go bankrupt. Much like the NRA, at this point it is begging for lawfare against them to remain in these ultra blue states.

I understand going to where the fight is, but there isn't any fight there. It's wholly controlled by tyrants. I know they don't want to disrupt the lives of their employees, but I bet bankruptcy would be even more disruptive. I'd much rather see an arms manufacturer move into Indiana rather than another pharma facility.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I just saw today that Ruger is getting sued over a murderer in Colorado two years ago. Ruger has chosen to stay in Connecticut where the court has allowed these people to file a lawsuit despite the Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. Even if they win, the legal costs are transferred to us in the end, if they don't go bankrupt. Much like the NRA, at this point it is begging for lawfare against them to remain in these ultra blue states.

I understand going to where the fight is, but there isn't any fight there. It's wholly controlled by tyrants. I know they don't want to disrupt the lives of their employees, but I bet bankruptcy would be even more disruptive. I'd much rather see an arms manufacturer move into Indiana rather than another pharma facility.
    I know smith and wesson is moving to Tennessee. Maybe if we had a good republican governor he would try and get these companies to come to Indiana instead of going overseas to try and get companies to come here.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I've started seeing more people at primary elections. I'm hoping we have a chance of getting a more conservative gubernatorial candidate next time. I think Braun is considering running. He's better than Young to be certain.
    I've been fairly off put by Holcomb and Daniels. The fact that we still have DST is a testament to how many still side with them.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Of all the manufacturers in Anti 2A States, Henry is still sitting in New Jersey! OMG! Can you imagine a more hostile 2A environment? Henry has a factory in Wisconsin and we can only hope Henry would “get outta Dodge” and consider Indiana. If Ruger could move Marlin, Henry could move itself with no problems. The employees would get a pay raise just by moving here vis-a-vis general taxes, property taxes, cost of living, insurance, etc. If only our leaders in Indiana would quit soliciting out of country companies and concentrate on companies like Henry it would be a win-win all the way around. My :twocents:!

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Of all the manufacturers in Anti 2A States, Henry is still sitting in New Jersey! OMG! Can you imagine a more hostile 2A environment? Henry has a factory in Wisconsin and we can only hope Henry would “get outta Dodge” and consider Indiana. If Ruger could move Marlin, Henry could move itself with no problems. The employees would get a pay raise just by moving here vis-a-vis general taxes, property taxes, cost of living, insurance, etc. If only our leaders in Indiana would quit soliciting out of country companies and concentrate on companies like Henry it would be a win-win all the way around. My :twocents:!
    Our "leaders" would rather buy up precious farm land and give it to the pharma. They should definitely be promoting firearm manufacturing here in indiana. Looknhow much r&d already goes on at crane for the military. Would could be the IT state for firearms

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Goes for a number of gun makers, they have ether moved out of these states, or will have to.

It is just not reasons above. Some of these states have onerous laws that help Unions force pretty obnoxious terms on anyone building things in them. So sometimes you don't want those employees to follow.

As to Indiana.. We have never had the greatest gunmaking culture, and labor is still yet cheaper further south.

Reactions: RCB

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    How long? They'll move if/when it makes financial sense. Moving for the principle of it is fine but bills come first.
    After they're sued for millions upon millions will bankrupt them before they can move. Just the legal costs. It seems to be a hazard to HQ in a state where they can circumvent existing law and get a left wing judge to go along. It has nothing to do with principle, I am just talking about the money. At this point any company that can't see the writing on the wall, better wake up or just prepare to go bankrupt.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I've started seeing more people at primary elections. I'm hoping we have a chance of getting a more conservative gubernatorial candidate next time. I think Braun is considering running. He's better than Young to be certain.
    I've been fairly off put by Holcomb and Daniels. The fact that we still have DST is a testament to how many still side with them.
    I wish Rainwater would do what is necessary to run with an R instead of an I. Not sure what that would entail or if even possible. He has a good message but the ”I” will keep him from the position no matter what his views are, love the 2 party or hate it is a reality.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Les Baer moved out of the crap state of illinois several years ago. Not a big move they were close to Iowa so just moved over the state line so did not impact their employees much. IIRC a lot of their employees already lived there. Jim.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Manufacturing tend to build in Cities that have workers availible that are trained already for the most part.
    Thats why cities like Anderson, Kokomo, Marion and those like it across America keep keeping and getting those plants.
    And towns like Alexandria, Summitville and Fairmont will never get a plant built in or next to towns like them.
    Plants gotta have workers living close by.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Aero Precision is still sitting in Washington State, although they moved to another city when the one they were in decided they were going to try to tax them out of business. Puzzles me some why they didn't move to Idaho.

I know part of the problem is relocating manufacturing facilities. I've moved major manufacturing lines. That's not a simple task, and invariably tooling and machines are damaged during the move, in spite of best effort to prevent it. It's not like someone moving to a new house or apartment. Precision machines and tooling must then be recalibrated to ensure they're running within specifications after being reinstalled. Industrial manufacturing facilities have all sorts of utility requirements, and must comply with OSHA and EPA regulations, and their local equivalent. Another major issue is employee knowledge and skill. Not all employees can make the move, and you lose the detailed knowledge they possess that makes stuff work well in a manufacturing line, in spite of best efforts to document it. Nothing can completely replace experience. Moving manufacturing facilities requires considerable forward planning and don't come cheap.

Nevertheless, with what Inslee is about to sign, most likely next month, that may be the tipping point for Aero Precision to leave the state.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Of all the manufacturers in Anti 2A States, Henry is still sitting in New Jersey! OMG! Can you imagine a more hostile 2A environment? .......

Dan Wesson is in NY. Colt is in Hartford, Connecticut.
    I always found it humorous that Paraordnance was in Canada, where none of their products could be sold.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Dan Wesson is in NY. Colt is in Hartford, Connecticut.
    I always found it humorous that Paraordnance was in Canada, where none of their products could be sold.
    pretty sure a lot of Brownings are made in japan where the workers cannot buy them. A lot of strange things happen whenever a government gets involved.

Top Bottom