How long can police hold a vehicle hostage?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If a vehicle is involved in a police chase, driver arrested, car crashed, impounded and held for a search warrant......how long can police hold it before they have to get the warrant or release the car to insurance? I have been told they must obtain warrant within 2 weeks, can any of you guys confirm that?

Thanks.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    If a vehicle is involved in a police chase, driver arrested, car crashed, impounded and held for a search warrant......how long can police hold it before they have to get the warrant or release the car to insurance? I have been told they must obtain warrant within 2 weeks, can any of you guys confirm that?

Thanks.
    They can hold it as evidence which can be until the case is over

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Thanks.

Is this your car that was stolen ages ago, Randy?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Is this your car that was stolen ages ago, Randy?

No, that one got located when it was involved in a crash in Shelby county several months later. The lady that stole it hit another lady and broke her back, a snowplow driver stopped to help the hurt lady and the thief jumped in his snow plow truck and stole it. What a mess that was.

Heck, the guy driving this one has been arrested about 20 times, around 3-4 times as a felon in possession of firearm...and he was or'd out the next day, but the car he didn't even own is still a prisoner 11 days later, lol.

Just to be clear this is not my vehicle. I am just hearing the story second handed and thought it sounded odd that they could hold a vehicle that long. I would think they would search it and that be it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No, that one got located when it was involved in a crash in Shelby county several months later. The lady that stole it hit another lady and broke her back, a snowplow driver stopped to help the hurt lady and the thief jumped in his snow plow truck and stole it. What a mess that was.

Heck, the guy driving this one has been arrested about 20 times, around 3-4 times as a felon in possession of firearm...and he was or'd out the next day, but the car he didn't even own is still a prisoner 11 days later, lol.

Just to be clear this is not my vehicle. I am just hearing the story second handed and thought it sounded odd that they could hold a vehicle that long. I would think they would search it and that be it.

WOW!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Do you really think the system is in any hurry.......:):

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My son's care was in impound until the case was over and the thief went to prison. His insurance company was p.o.'ed as was he. He learned a valuable lesson to not let your grampamobile warm up at the petrol station.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My son's care was in impound until the case was over and the thief went to prison. His insurance company was p.o.'ed as was he. He learned a valuable lesson to not let your grampamobile warm up at the petrol station.

What does the insurance do? After 30 days I guess they have to pay it off (if full coverage) or is it considered recovered when it is impounded? The story I am getting is the cop is who has a hold on it....wanting a search warrant, but he has never even filed paperwork for a warrant. Did your son hire a lawyer?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Since his vehicle was PL/PD, the insurance company offered to pay for the car. My son took the money and bought the car back in the end. A drunk driver thought it would make a good hood ornament 6 weeks after he got it back.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    So the person in possession of the car has more rights than the owner. That just not right and I agree we are missing something here.

All I know for sure is the driver was found by K9, arrested and had about 6-7-8 charges on him (this I verified), driving while suspended, resisting law enforcement, fleeing using vehicle, knowingly driving while suspended within 10 years, paraphernalia and other misd. charges and they or'd him out of Morgan County less than 24 hours later. $4000 cash bond waived to zero. The vehicle owner, no previous criminal record.....who was riding shotgun and a back seat passenger surrendered upon crash and waited for cops, they were not charged and released and made to walk back to civilization where they called me to pick them up. Vehicle was impounded with personal property still in it, drivers license, debit card, check book, work id, etc.

The next day tow company said vehicle was free to be removed when fees paid, insurance showed up and was told a hold was put on vehicle by officer. Owner contacted officer and he said he wanted a warrant to search vehicle, they offered consent but it didn't matter, officer said he would get warrant that evening. That was 10-11 days ago. Tow company says no search as of yet. The owner has consulted with a few attorneys and keeps getting different opinions.

I do know the back seat passenger had a pack of 22 bullets in his jacket where he was going to his mee-maws to shoot his rifle the next day. The cops kept wanting to know where the gun was. I am wondering that since the driver has at least 3 prior convictions of felon in possession of a gun, if maybe they think there is a gun in that car?? But I really doubt it and wouldn't they have searched that evening in the car for it?

It all sounds expensive to me.....glad I never danced on the dark side, or got caught dancing.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have heard of tow/impound companies sometimes have ongoing deals with the police. Could the officer have something going on to run up the storage charges or just wants to be a PITA to the owner? Jim.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The D.A. told my son that since the case involved his car, the prima facie evidence had to stay if the bad guy's defense wanted to view the car. Sometimes pictures aren't good enough for a case to proceed against the defendant and until the evidence is rebutted or accepted, the vehicle had to set. Trials are not always speedy but must done A , B , C ,etc.. .

Top Bottom