How long before these birds get off of my hose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I couldn't tell you that, but you could just set up a little shelf for the nest, and move it 8" up or so to make it easy to find. I was always told that the momma bird rejecting the chicks was a myth (specifically about robins, if that helps). Of course, the big moustached ascot wearing crowd may wonder why you've ruined such perfectly good barnwood with fresh lumber.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I couldn't tell you that, but you could just set up a little shelf for the nest, and move it 8" up or so to make it easy to find. I was always told that the momma bird rejecting the chicks was a myth (specifically about robins, if that helps). Of course, the big moustached ascot wearing crowd may wonder why you've ruined such perfectly good barnwood with fresh lumber.
    This might just be a very good test. I like it. I'll wait for a little more input, but I have stuff laying around to do this.
    :ingo:

I had the exact same thing last year. When first noticed the this year, thought that I was sure I moved the nest? Didn't use the soaker hose last year.

The robin flying off whenever I get close (a few times a day) is annoying. Its worse when the baby's outgrow the nest.

I have no desire to harm the birds. As far as I know, the only downside to robins is pooping where I don't want and eating my nightcrawlers?

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    This might just be a very good test. I like it. I'll wait for a little more input, but I have stuff laying around to do this.
    Great. Should be good for the local ecology.

I have no desire to harm the birds. As far as I know, the only downside to robins is pooping where I don't want and eating my nightcrawlers?
    They're just helping aerate the soil for you.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I had the exact same thing last year. When first noticed the this year, thought that I was sure I moved the nest? Didn't use the soaker hose last year.

The robin flying off whenever I get close (a few times a day) is annoying. Its worse when the baby's outgrow the nest.

Just move it to the lower section of the hose reel, should be close enough to find easy

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    GiFqeG4.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Moma will find the nest. We have moved more than a couple over the years and yes Moma finds them and takes care.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Easier fix than mine, Ive got a Killdeer that has laid its eggs in my narrow driveway, I just put a flag by the nest so people won't drive over them.

They are fun to watch. If you get close, the female will fluff up and try to intimidate you while the male will act like he is injured about 30 feet away to try to get the predator to chase him.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Easier fix than mine, Ive got a Killdeer that has laid its eggs in my narrow driveway, I just put a flag by the nest so people won't drive over them.

They are fun to watch. If you get close, the female will fluff up and try to intimidate you while the male will act like he is injured about 30 feet away to try to get the predator to chase him.
    They put on quite a show for sure. The young are hilarious when their just cotton balls on long legs.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Move it over, not up. If it is above the hose, momma will poop all over the hose

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I had a nest in the bush next to my trash cans last year. You would think I would eventually remember it but every time I put the trash out, she would erupt into flight and scare the crap out of me. Kinda funny watching the chicks with their open mouths pointed to the sky, squawking to be fed all day long.

Top Bottom