How does this happen? Buys stolen gun from retailer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Should be easy enough for him to prove he bought it from a dealer.
    In my opinion, he's in the clear, although it may take time for authorities to admit such.
    Yep. I understand the police at the scene doing what they did, when you catch someone with a stolen gun you can't just take them at their word. But it should be very easy to pull a receipt and 4473 and demonstrate that he clearly didn't steal the gun or knowingly purchase stolen property from a large retailer.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Sounds like everyone involved in the primary incident stayed calm and polite. Glad to see that.
    This will be used to argue for a national registry.
    I had several firearms stolen back in 1994. I still get a call once a year from the local PD to ask if any had been recovered. They stay in their records that way. I can see the benefit of an accessible database of stolen guns but you know there would be huge gaps in updating the data.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How does this happen?
    Easy, a thief sells a stolen used gun at a gun shop and the gun shop owner has no way of knowing it's stolen.
    Then the gun shop owner sells it to a customer.

THIS happened to me...
    Maybe 25 years ago or so I bought a really nice M1 Carbine from a local gun shop.
    Six months to a year or so later I was informed that it had been stolen by a guy in Illinois who stole it from a man he worked for.
    The thief then came to Indiana and sold it as a used gun to my local gun shop.

The thief confessed to stealing it and told the Illinois police where he sold it here in Indiana.

I met with an Illinois cop at the Rensselaer Police station and returned the M1 Carbine.
    MY local gun shop owner REFUNDED my money.

ONE INTERESTING thing that I don't understand, the Illinois cop who picked it up from me told me that if I wanted to be a pr*ck about it, I could refuse to return it and keep it.
    (I have NO idea under what legal theory that could be true?)
    I told the Illinois cop, "No, this isn't mine, and I don't want it".

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    How does this happen?
    Easy, a thief sells a stolen used gun at a gun shop and the gun shop owner has no way of knowing it's stolen.

THIS happened to me...
    Maybe 25 years ago or so I bought a really nice M1 Carbine from a local gun shop.
    Six months to a year or so later I was informed that it had been stolen by a guy in Illinois who stole it from a man he worked for.

The thief confessed to stealing it and told the Illinois police where he sold it here in Indiana.

I met with an Illinois cop at the Rensselaer Police station and returned the M1 Carbine.

ONE INTERESTING thing that I don't understand, the Illinois cop who picked it up from me told me that if I wanted to be a pr*ck about it, I could refuse to return it and keep it.
    A lot of pieces missing from the Illinois side, but statute of limitations could apply, pending that time had run out on the clock for the thief to be charged :dunno:

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like everyone involved in the primary incident stayed calm and polite. Glad to see that.

I had several firearms stolen back in 1994. I still get a call once a year from the local PD to ask if any had been recovered. They stay in their records that way. I can see the benefit of an accessible database of stolen guns but you know there would be huge gaps in updating the data.
    there is already a federal database of stolen firearms. and it is maintained as well as everything else the government handles

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    How does this happen?

THIS happened to me...

i would think because you had no criminal intent and did not knowingly buy a stolen item.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wonder if the original owner ever got it back.
    That's a good question.
    This happened many years ago, and the Illinois cop was a good guy who seemed sincere to get it back to the owner.

If this rifle was in the hands of the Indianapolis police department today, it would likely be years and a minor miracle if the owner ever got it back.

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    Wait....doesn't the NICS check use the serial number on the firearm? Section A on the form has all the info. Why wouldn't it kick out then?

Don
    That would make sense.

However, my understanding is that the gun details are not what gets transferred to the Feds - it's info on the buyer to verify eligibility. Then its the dealers responsibility to keep the info tying buyer to item purchased.

Last edited:

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    That would make sense.

However, my understanding is that the gun details are not what gets transferred to the Feds - it's info on the buyer to verify eligibility. The its the dealers responsibility to keep the info tying buyer to item purchased.
    This is correct. more proof that the 4473 and NCIS background check system is flawed and doesn’t stop gun crime

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend

Maybe the original owner had already been paid out by his insurance company so the carbine might not have legally belonged to him anymore, it would be property of the insurance company to send it to auction, to recoup the claim loss?

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Wait....doesn't the NICS check use the serial number on the firearm? Section A on the form has all the info. Why wouldn't it kick out then?

Don
    the database for stolen guns is a seperate section of the nics.

the nics is broken into several sections. 1 for employers to do bg checks, 1 for social security, 1 for ffls, 1 for pawnshops, 1 for le, etc...

i believe the only agency that has access to all of nics is the nsa

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    the database for stolen guns is a seperate section of the nics.

the nics is broken into several sections. 1 for employers to do bg checks, 1 for social security, 1 for ffls, 1 for pawnshops, 1 for le, etc...

i believe the only agency that has access to all of nics is the nsa
    It was my assumption that when you went thru an FFL it was to make sure the fire arm was not stolen.

So a private seller/buyer insisting it goes thru an FFL has no additional info on if the gun is stolen or not. Kind of puts shade on some one insisting on it for a private sale.

Don

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It was my assumption that when you went thru an FFL it was to make sure the fire arm was not stolen.

So a private seller/buyer insisting it goes thru an FFL has no additional info on if the gun is stolen or not. Kind of puts shade on some one insisting on it for a private sale.

Don
    It still ensures that they're selling to a "proper person" though.

Top Bottom