How do we fix the police ‘testilying’ problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Expand the use of video. Ensure that the evidentiary rules require more and more recording so the trier of fact can see for themselves, e.g. expansion of IRE617 to include FSTs, Chompy sniffs, etc.

When you have video, this happens: New York Judge Declares Mistrial After Prosecutor Claims Defendant Tried To Run Her Down . . . Later Video Disputes Account And Defendant Was Not In The Car | JONATHAN TURLEY
    As in require the allowance of video?

Seems like it would be a backward move to require video simply for the sake of requiring video.

I would add that the issue of granting unwarranted credibility to a particular side is not limited to those wearing a badge. Any agent of the state seems to be granted such.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Have you spent much time in a courtroom? Credibility favoritism is given to both sides, not just the prosecution/police.

I'll see how far that takes me next time I get a ticket for running a stop sign or something and the only evidence against me is someone else saying "I observed the defendant run the stop sign." I wonder which of us will be believed...

Insert purple as needed.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'll see how far that takes me next time I get a ticket for running a stop sign or something and the only evidence against me is someone else saying "I observed the defendant run the stop sign." I wonder which of us will be believed...

Insert purple as needed.

I don't have a 100% "win" record in court even though I've never testilied.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Typically in a criminal court one side has something to lose and the other nothing to gain. I learned in my very first jury trial that I didn't care what happened in a courtroom. It is 100% out of my control and therefore nowhere near valuable enough to lie for, particularly under oath. Perhaps some agencies are different but I've never been asked about a conviction rate for arrests. It isn't a consideration for anything that might affect my job. The only thing I ever cared about was that the judge recognize that probable cause existed for the arrest. After that none of it matters.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about starting with "I have no recollection of that" responses? "I may have or may not have ________."

How about requiring, as a condition of employment as a LEO, mandatory annual memory drills to confirm that the person enforcing the laws is actually capable of remembering basic facts of their own cases beyond the 6 months to a year time frame between the events and the trials? I had an officer in my case directly contradict his own arrest report on the stand. If you can't remember your own arrest report after a year, you don't need to be putting people's safety or liberty at jeopardy based on your failing powers of recollection.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have to chart and document everything I do all day. (healthcare provider) When it is part of your daily habit you really don't have a memory after a while. When someone comes in 6 months or a year later my "memory" is comprised of what I have read from their chart. Using actual memory just gets me in trouble.

devil07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    East Side Indy
    How about starting with "I have no recollection of that" responses? "I may have or may not have ________."

How about requiring, as a condition of employment as a LEO, mandatory annual memory drills to confirm that the person enforcing the laws is actually capable of remembering basic facts of their own cases beyond the 6 months to a year time frame between the events and the trials? I had an officer in my case directly contradict his own arrest report on the stand. If you can't remember your own arrest report after a year, you don't need to be putting people's safety or liberty at jeopardy based on your failing powers of recollection.

Wow, no.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    As long as no one is giving non-cops 10 years mandatory prison time (NO early release, NO good time, NO plea-bargaining) for lying, I'm not gonna worry too much, sorry. :dunno:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

In 2013 I made nearly 2500 traffic stops, over 200 arrests and wrote nearly 200 non-arrest reports. Are you saying that I should be REQUIRED to remember every detail of each of those interactions? Thats lunacy...and impossible.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    In 2013 I made nearly 2500 traffic stops, over 200 arrests and wrote nearly 200 non-arrest reports. Are you saying that I should be REQUIRED to remember every detail of each of those interactions? Thats lunacy...and impossible.

The other side of that coin is that on the jury trial I sat on, it was clear the Leo memorized his report for the trial. It was so scripted, it was obvious. Sounded so confident in what happened only to have the dash cam prove him wrong.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you were heading to the stand to testify as to the details of any of those cases, would you at the very least reread your reports to refresh whatever memory you have of the case at hand?

Apparently, so much as that is beyond the purview of the THPD.

Top Bottom