How do we fix the police ‘testilying’ problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have been very frustrated in hearings before when I have had to recall details about something and things dont go my way. That said, I rest easy knowing that I did my job even if the suspect gets a pass because of something that happened in a hearing or courtroom. I dont have any control over what happens after I make the arrest and I am ok with that. I have more to lose than even the suspect does if I lie so why the eff would I do that. I know that all the other coppers I work with feel the same way.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Police perjury because of drugs? Not to my knowledge. I would like to see a study about the motivations (not really relevant excepting for sociological reasons).

People commit perjury because they are human, not because of their jobs. Cops are just as human as anyone else--embarrassment, trying to "help", inter alia, greed.

Last LEO Perjury convcition in my county was over a well-being check, had nothing to do with drugs. The LE scandal before that was motivated by greed.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    "Hardly worth it."

"No incentive to lie."

Yet cops willingly commit perjury, even for things as stupid and mundane as marijuana. That's what was mentioned in the OP if anybody read it. Five (5) cops conspired to lie over their illegal search in order to bust a guy for a stupid weed.

Video Shows Cops Lied On the Stand | NBC Chicago

Can you imagine? Five bad apples all showing up to the same traffic stop? What are the odds?

And doing these reprehensible things, having no incentive to do so. Quite remarkable.

I'm not saying law enforcement never lies. Everybody can lie. In the case your presenting, there are failures beyond the officers.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    People commit perjury because they are human, not because of their jobs. Cops are just as human as anyone else--embarrassment, trying to "help", inter alia, greed.

+1

Plus, I would add that officers - like other human beings - can be wrong.

Years ago, in a de rigueur moving violation trial (prosecuting), after direct exam, as the defendant was testifying, I had an officer realize that he had gotten the current case confused with a different ticket. One of those (exceedingly) rare times that a defendant was accurately testifying about how wrong the officer was. As she testified, he remembered that she was correct. He whispered that to me, and flat out told me to dismiss the ticket. I whispered back that we could probably fix the problem, but he insisted. So, instead of cross exam, I moved to dismiss and made sure the judge understood why. I think it enhanced the officer's credibility.

But, for as rare as it was that the defendant was right, I also realize that it is rare for a person (the officer) to admit they were wrong in such a public situation.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    +1

Plus, I would add that officers - like other human beings - can be wrong.

Years ago, in a de rigueur moving violation trial (prosecuting), after direct exam, as the defendant was testifying, I had an officer realize that he had gotten the current case confused with a different ticket. One of those (exceedingly) rare times that a defendant was accurately testifying about how wrong the officer was. As she testified, he remembered that she was correct. He whispered that to me, and flat out told me to dismiss the ticket. I whispered back that we could probably fix the problem, but he insisted. So, instead of cross exam, I moved to dismiss and made sure the judge understood why. I think it enhanced the officer's credibility.

But, for as rare as it was that the defendant was right, I also realize that it is rare for a person (the officer) to admit they were wrong in such a public situation.

Great story T.Lex, it's rare for anybody it seems to admit they're wrong myself included, good show by the officer.

Top Bottom