How do we fix the police ‘testilying’ problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How about 2 minutes later? You think you would forget by then?

Interesting video. There was no doubt a green light but the cars in the other two lanes were stopped or stopping. You could also hear a siren immediately after the crash. Was the USBP van running with its lights and siren activated? Maybe that's the "light" the officer was talking about?

When you watch the slow motion video, around 28 seconds in, you can see the light bar on the van flashing. That could be 'the light'. The driver says they kept telling him he ran a red light, yet oddly doesn't post that part of the video. Seems like if the video bolstered his statement, he wouldn't have edited it down to exclude it.

What did the customs guy say to the responding officer? What's the crash report read?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Yep. Cops are people. And some of us will justify the means if it helps to arrive at the desired "ends".
    Yes, you are correct. This is scary though. If one has authority given to them to arrest or use other force to subdue citizens, the people with that authority had better make sure they are doing it right.

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    Here's a thought. How about having the police focus on crimes with real victims rather than crimes where the arrest hinges on observations made by the officer. It seems the bulk of complaints are in cases involving narcotics possession. These cases are usually initiated by something unrelated like a traffic stop. Conversely, crimes like murder, robbery, burglary, rape, are initiated when a person is actually harmed, either physically or financially. Then the bulk of the evidence relies on the testimony of victims or witnesses. So, let's get these "victimless crimes" off the books. Then the police can focus on real crimes where there is much less incentive to commit perjury.

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    When the judge, DA and LEO are all paid by the same team..........they tend to be "buddies/friends" and trust either other MUCH more than the new guy being accused/charged with a crime......

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I wish I knew what the two of you did for a living so that I could repeatedly trash it.

When society chooses to make my occupation a public service acting on behalf of the people with our delegated authority then you can certainly exercise all the citizen oversight towards it that you feel comfortable with. :oldwise:

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    It's amazing the amount of experts on the police on this forum. SOme valid points we made, however some amaze me. If you think you know the job so well, or how it should be done, apply. Once you go thru about 2 years of training start to finish, take thousands of runs and deal with the majority of situations that require a immediate solutions to long term issues then you can say you know what you speak of. This used to be a good forum/blog but now its just a platform of the police are gonna drive over us with MRAP's yet be unable to remember why it was done. I love when people say.. oh go after the real crimes….. not narcotics…. what do you think is one of the factors in Indpls crime….. Traffic stops find drivers with warrants…. drugs and guns they should not legally posses. But what do I know.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Here's a thought. How about having the police focus on crimes with real victims rather than crimes where the arrest hinges on observations made by the officer. It seems the bulk of complaints are in cases involving narcotics possession. These cases are usually initiated by something unrelated like a traffic stop. Conversely, crimes like murder, robbery, burglary, rape, are initiated when a person is actually harmed, either physically or financially. Then the bulk of the evidence relies on the testimony of victims or witnesses. So, let's get these "victimless crimes" off the books. Then the police can focus on real crimes where there is much less incentive to commit perjury.

Yes, I detest those cops that pull over my supplier for a vehicle violation only to find that they have 2 kilos of coke in the trunk. Cops should focus on real crimes instead because drug running is a victimless crime /purple.

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

Incentive to commit perjury? The incentive NOT to commit perjury is, at minimum (aside from integrity), keeping your job. Cops have no use for other cops who lie. Once your busted committing perjury, your pretty much a paperweight. You will be running VIN checks and taking reports of missing unicorns the rest of your career (If you keep it). You could very well end up in prison, and for what? Busting some low life with some crack? Over a speeding ticked? Hardly worth it.

Only screw-up's need to lie, and AFAIK, nobody likes working with a bunch of screw-ups regardless of where they work.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    and for what? Busting some low life with some crack? Over a speeding ticked? Hardly worth it.

"Hardly worth it."

"No incentive to lie."

Yet cops willingly commit perjury, even for things as stupid and mundane as marijuana. That's what was mentioned in the OP if anybody read it. Five (5) cops conspired to lie over their illegal search in order to bust a guy for a stupid weed.

Video Shows Cops Lied On the Stand | NBC Chicago

Can you imagine? Five bad apples all showing up to the same traffic stop? What are the odds?

And doing these reprehensible things, having no incentive to do so. Quite remarkable.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Incentive to commit perjury? The incentive NOT to commit perjury is, at minimum (aside from integrity), keeping your job. Cops have no use for other cops who lie. Once your busted committing perjury, your pretty much a paperweight. You will be running VIN checks and taking reports of missing unicorns the rest of your career (If you keep it). You could very well end up in prison, and for what? Busting some low life with some crack? Over a speeding ticked? Hardly worth it.

Only screw-up's need to lie, and AFAIK, nobody likes working with a bunch of screw-ups regardless of where they work.

I would say that you are absolutely right aside from one detail which needs added. I have come to suspect that you have been fortunate enough to live where you have good police. One of the benefits I have received from INGO is exposure to far more good police than I have encountered in person which has done much to modify my outlook on the subject. You said that nobody likes working with a bunch of screw-ups, and that is reflected in good departments. I have, however, had the misfortune of learning that when you have a department full of screw-ups, they are as hostile to good people as a group of good people will be toward a screw-up.

Needless to say, when this happens and you have a department populated with this low quality of officer, life can get very difficult.

Top Bottom