• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    A fellow INGOer pulled in my drive today and walked to my front deck. I told him to turn around and look at his hot tires. There had to be at least 100 skeeters on each. I think he would attest to this. When I run my beagles in the morning, my clothes are sprayed with Permatin, my hands, neck, and exposed parts are sprayed with other juice. They go for the eyes, nose and ears. They even go Kamakazi into my coffee. I'm not griping because I wouldn't trade my hermitage deer shack for anywhere else. How's your bugs?

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    They tried to carry off one of the horses.. I just got some more mosquito torpedos in and going to treat the pond again. Always emptying the stock tanks and the like trying keep the breeding grounds under control. Trying all I can to keep the little beastards down. Flys are bad too even with all the preventions we use.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We were at Little League games in Amo on Friday and Saturday. I thought it was because those were country bugs, not deterred by insect repellent. It was bad out there.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    As they've done every year as far back as I can remember our little town got crop dusted for them the evening of 7/06 and this year unlike previous years it doesn't seem to have had any effect. It is not enjoyable being outside after dusk.

Added: Just saw this posted on our Town's page. Did not realize when spraying/crop dusting from aircraft the "No Residual Effect" applied.

Mosquitoes part 2
    Timing is everything. We timed our application last week to be just ahead of Homecoming activities. We thought it was timed perfectly considering the record rainfall, temps and projected mosquito hatch. As we have heard from many of you, we did take care of some mosquitoes, but apparently missed the larger hatch by the next evening. The material being used has no residual properties, its approved for use in residential areas and in fact is widely used in cities across the US, especially in coastal cities. It kills mosquitoes that are active while the material falls from plane to ground, where it then becomes inactive. You get one shot with each application to knock back the mosquito population. Typically, the wet weather we are experiencing triggers the need for a second application and that is our situation this year. We have requested the second run and as soon as the weather permits, it will be scheduled. Please watch the Town’s Facebook page for notification when it will occur. We will also use the Text message service available to residents.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    They kicked in real bad in my parts Independence Day weekend. Relentless since. Hard to enjoy the outdoors but with rain for the next 7 days will be hard to do that anyway

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the heads-up. We are renting a cottage on Holem Lake in a couple weeks. Adding more citronella, Deep Woods Off, and thermocell units to the packing list. :):

Down here, they arent too awful at the house.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What skeeters? :dunno:

I really thought the 6" of rain we had a couple weeks ago would bring them out with a vengeance, but so far, nada.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I see the occasional mosquito up on my deck in the predawn hours in the morning, but really nothing much other than that. Might be a different story if I were to go out into our big ivy bed or possibly under some of the trees out away from the house, but honestly they've never been much of a problem here for some reason.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since Hendricks county fixed the drainage tile that runs through the easement of our neighborhood 5 years ago, skeeters have been a non issue.

Before that I basically had a lake form after each rain on both northern corners of my lot and my neighbors. even throwing some cooking oil on it did not deter them.
    At times I thought they had built a dockside water front community it was so bad....seriously Indianapolis Air Traffic Control put up a remote tower out there to differentiate between Jet traffic and Skeeter traffic they was so big.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Through most of the spring and early summer, there weren’t too many out here at the Ranch, but these rains we’ve had the last couple of weeks have really brought them out. And the biting flies. Life in the woods. Even though they’re out now, they aren’t as bad as they have been some years.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    We got a little rain today so I thought I'd take the time to pull the fool's parsley out of my drainage ditch. At least 3 bites on my face and 5 on my arms in the 20 minutes or so that I was out there. Need to buy me one of these: :flamethrower:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Was damn near carried away this morning just going to my car for work.

Wasps have been awful all summer so far and now were starting to see a ton of stag beetles (pinching beetles) too

IMG_20210709_142146777.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We have fewer mosquito issues here than any place I've lived. Less standing water and plenty of things that eat mosquitos. It's more of a ground game here in the GSF, ticks are ferocious and seed tick season will start at the end of the month.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    A fellow INGOer pulled in my drive today and walked to my front deck. I told him to turn around and look at his hot tires. There had to be at least 100 skeeters on each. I think he would attest to this. When I run my beagles in the morning, my clothes are sprayed with Permatin, my hands, neck, and exposed parts are sprayed with other juice. They go for the eyes, nose and ears. They even go Kamakazi into my coffee. I'm not griping because I wouldn't trade my hermitage deer shack for anywhere else. How's your bugs?
    Since I'm the one flyingsquirrel is talking about I figure I should confirm his story.
    Skeeters were terrible at his place!
    I'm about 15 miles west of him and don't think I've seen a single skeeter at my place. Heck I work outside all day and haven't really sen any at work either

Top Bottom