• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    So on Tuesday evening I was near one of the vents in my house and noticed that the air coming out was not that cold. Crap A/C not working.:wallbash: Went outside and the fan was running at speed, but the exhaust air was not that warm. The furnace filter was changed about a month ago---checked it again and it was in good shape. Went to the furnace and grabbed the copper return line to the outside unit and it was room temp---not warm like it should be. When I got home on Tuesday, the house was cool--- so the A/C was running earlier in the day... I am hoping that the condenser only needs freon (last topoff was 6 years ago).....

I would reach out to churchmouse for help, but he's retired now. Who are the other folks on INGO that do HVAC. I'm in New Whiteland...
    tnx for help....

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So on Tuesday evening I was near one of the vents in my house and noticed that the air coming out was not that cold. Crap A/C not working.:wallbash: Went outside and the fan was running at speed, but the exhaust air was not that warm. The furnace filter was changed about a month ago---checked it again and it was in good shape. Went to the furnace and grabbed the copper return line to the outside unit and it was room temp---not warm like it should be. When I got home on Tuesday, the house was cool--- so the A/C was running earlier in the day... I am hoping that the condenser only needs freon (last topoff was 6 years ago).....

I would reach out to churchmouse for help, but he's retired now. Who are the other folks on INGO that do HVAC. I'm in New Whiteland...
    tnx for help....

Typically if it was low on refrigerant it would freeze. I’ve had a slew of capacitors go bad this year so it could be the compressor cap. Not hard to check if you’re reasonably mechanically minded and have a meter that can check mfd’s.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Similar here, heat pump not warm, a/c barely cold.

Suspect bad txv, but to replace them the system must be recovered/evacuated and is very expensive.

GRAVES219

Black Rifles Matter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2021
    Hobart
    There’s a fuse block/resistor thing outside near the AC unit (I’m not electrician) but we had to have ours swapped last year. Wasn’t Freon etc. was this big ol electronic fuse or do-dad

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Going to guess since I can't see it, but going to guess you lost your capacitor.

Heat gets them.
    It can work/fail so the fan outside runs but compressor will not.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Going to guess since I can't see it, but going to guess you lost your capacitor.

Heat gets them.
    It can work/fail so the fan outside runs but compressor will not.
    Yesterday was a busy day replacing caps. 3 in a day and adjusted the charge on 2 more. Had to clean cottonwood off those two. People… CLEAN YOUR COILS OFF! There’s the friendly INGO PSA.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yesterday was a busy day replacing caps. 3 in a day and adjusted the charge on 2 more. Had to clean cottonwood off those two. People… CLEAN YOUR COILS OFF! There’s the friendly INGO PSA.
    It is all too often the condenser is right near the dryer vent. What this causes is lint build up on the coil and depending on how much laundry you do it could be a monthly thing to clean the coil. It is at my house.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    People… CLEAN YOUR COILS OFF! There’s the friendly INGO PSA.

Here, Here, I agree!
    Cleaning the outside coils is one of the best things you can do to keep your system running good.
    Changing filters (quality), is right up there too.
    My Trane system is 17 years old and holing up very well. I've always kept up with filter changes and cleaned the outside coils several times.
    Last year I had to replace two capacitors (one at blower motor and the other at the compressor, outside), all done myself.
    If you're comfortable with DIY projects of this nature, clean those coils. Plenty of youtube videos demonstrate how.

DocIndy, do you like Nu-Calgon, Refrigeration Technologies or are there better brands for the DIY professional homeowner?

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom