• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWAT153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Has anyone here tried hot bluing? I'm really close to having a setup to do it but would like to pick some brains on the subject.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    You need to talk to someone who does it before you decide to "jump in".

The price of the salts will usually out weigh any "do it yourself" savings you might be thinking about.

EPA inspections, temperature sensitivity, time, space, heat source...

Where are you located? I have a guy in the southern part of the state that will give you one of "those" looks just for asking.

SWAT153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    I'm in Rush Co. out East.

I've been reading up on it, and it does seem like it could be difficult if you don't pay attention to everything.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It is half art and half chemical reaction with a lot of luck spread in for flavor. The guy I know is the southern part of the state.

Getting the salts is difficult and expensive, disposing of the salts is difficult and expensive.

The last I heard there is an annual inspection even if you are not using the tanks. Paperwork and back flips out the old smitty pipe.

I advise you to get to know someone who does bluing and hang out with them and learn that what they charge is very little profit and the one doing the bluing will look like "the guy behind the curtain" in the Wizard of Oz...

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Has anyone here tried hot bluing? I'm really close to having a setup to do it but would like to pick some brains on the subject.

I have some experience hot bluing as part of a gunsmithing curriculum at Yavapai college. As far as setup, i could prolly answer some basic questions, but everything such as tanks and heating elements were already set up for us....maybe i can answer your questions?

SWAT153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    It is half art and half chemical reaction with a lot of luck spread in for flavor. The guy I know is the southern part of the state.

Getting the salts is difficult and expensive, disposing of the salts is difficult and expensive.

The last I heard there is an annual inspection even if you are not using the tanks. Paperwork and back flips out the old smitty pipe.

I advise you to get to know someone who does bluing and hang out with them and learn that what they charge is very little profit and the one doing the bluing will look like "the guy behind the curtain" in the Wizard of Oz...

I happened to come across a guy here locally that use to do it a while back. Think I'm going to meet up with him and discuss it. Seemed like he knew what he was talking about.

I know he mentioned EPA so I need to do some more research. I may not be able to do it at all. May be more than I want to get into.

But I really appreciate the help.

SWAT153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    I have some experience hot bluing as part of a gunsmithing curriculum at Yavapai college. As far as setup, i could prolly answer some basic questions, but everything such as tanks and heating elements were already set up for us....maybe i can answer your questions?

I may send you a PM once I talk to this local guy. I would like to pick your brain on the subject. And thank you!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    I may send you a PM once I talk to this local guy. I would like to pick your brain on the subject. And thank you!

Sure thing:) if you end up not wanting to mess with hot bluing as a hobby(understandable, my hold up with things like learning case hardening has always been cost of equipment), possibly look into slow rust bluing if you havent dont so already. Can produce some beautiful results, with a minimum of specialized equipment

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Have you tried rust bluing? I tried it a couple years back. It was not complicated or difficult and it came out beautifully.

Just noticed the posting, above. Yes, what he said :)

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI

Where are you getting this info? You can order blueing salts right to your door from Brownells and many other sources.... without any EPA inspections

Top Bottom