• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChazL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Tell City
    So...being new to Indiana, I was wondering what the consensus is on what exactly a Hoosier is and/or what it means to you. I’ve looked it up and no one really seems to know what it’s origin is. What say you?
    :dunno:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Give it up. I've been here 22 years now and nobody has come up with an explanation. The most relevant one I've heard so far is that back in the day people used to consider those from Indiana as father-less so and so's. When the topic was broached of course the Indiana native would defend against that idea and the new acquaintance would counter with "Oh, yeah? Well then, Who's your daddy?" That would typically end the argument as the product of Indiana had no idea who his daddy was. At some point in time the natives of the state decided to take that phrase of derision, shorten it to "Hoosier" and wear it as a badge of pride often calling out to others from their "hood", "S'up Hoosier?"

This name and greeting are in danger though as I've heard more and more references to the "H" word so no telling how much longer it will be used by all and only allowed to be used by those from the "Hoosier" state!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I ended up here with my family in 1964. Not sure if I qualify. I was born in Appalachia part of Kentucky. So I consider myself part of both.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    What's it mean? Well...

Fight with Ohio,
    Ignore Michigan,
    Hate Illinois,
    Kin to Kentucky,
    Envy Florida.

(I still don't get that last part myself)

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    A historian in Harpers Ferry WV once told me that it came from a greeting German immigrants would use when visitors would come to their home.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    So...being new to Indiana, I was wondering what the consensus is on what exactly a Hoosier is and/or what it means to you. I’ve looked it up and no one really seems to know what it’s origin is. What say you?
    :dunno:

I find it interesting how history is simply just lost over time.

Here is a summary:

Fisk University Professor William D. Piersen found a forgotten character of Indiana history: Harry Hoosier, an 18th century African American Methodist minister, perhaps the most widely known black preacher of his time.

Since Hoosier—like most slaves—was illiterate, his name had no definite spelling, and the length of time he spent in Indiana remains undetermined

Born around 1750 near Fayetteville, North Carolina, Harry Hoosier moved—or was sold—to Henry Dorsey Gough’s plantation near Baltimore. Gough, a devout Methodist, had built a chapel that became a popular stopping place for Methodist preachers. It was there that Harry Hoosier—known as “Black Harry”—became a talented religious orator who traveled throughout the frontier.

There were many who had attended the camp meetings, conferences, revivals, Love Feasts, and other religious gatherings where Harry spoke over a period of nearly a quarter of a century. As a former slave, Harry found a natural home among the Methodists in Indiana who preached against slavery and who often worshipped with former slaves on the American frontier. Because of this close fellowship, it does not seem at all unlikely that Methodists and then other rustics of the backcountry could be called ‘Hoosiers’–disciples of the illiterate black exhorter Harry Hoosier—including the many Methodists who questioned slavery.

Such nicknames for religious adherents are common in history.

The first recorded use of the expression “red-neck” occurred in 1830 as an expression of derision for frontier Presbyterians in North Carolina. Such derogatory religious expressions were used on the American frontier. However, it may be that these evangelical Methodists were proud of the expression and regarded it as a badge of honor, rather than a label of dishonor.

It is possible that Harry helped to foster the abolition movement in Indiana, although there is no direct evidence to support this. However, it was in 1806 that enough Abolitionist were voted into office to overturn the slavery laws which the Indiana supreme court upheld in 1820.

So...It is highly possible that Hoosier is a term that many Indiana abolitionists used as a badge of honor.

Edited to add: In early 1800's most of Indiana's population was in Southern Indiana.
    So most of those using this nickname would have been located there. It is highly likely that the "Hoosier" nickname would have spread north and further into the state during the underground railroad days of 1830 - 1865 since abolitionist were a major influence in it's formation.

For many years this information was lost. As I understand it, it was professor William D. Piersen who found this information in the 1990's in another state when researching for something else entirely. I myself had not learned this until a few years ago.

Link to more info here.....

Harry Hosier: Preacher Gives Indiana Its Nickname - Christian Heritage Fellowship, Inc.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    -knock knock
    -"hoosier?!" *heavy redneck accent*
    -"I'm here for yer mama"
    -"Hoosier daddy, you sumabich"
    -click. BOOM!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I find it interesting how history is simply just lost over time.

Here is a summary:

Fisk University Professor William D. Piersen found a forgotten character of Indiana history: Harry Hoosier, an 18th century African American Methodist minister, perhaps the most widely known black preacher of his time.

Since Hoosier—like most slaves—was illiterate, his name had no definite spelling, and the length of time he spent in Indiana remains undetermined

Born around 1750 near Fayetteville, North Carolina, Harry Hoosier moved—or was sold—to Henry Dorsey Gough’s plantation near Baltimore. Gough, a devout Methodist, had built a chapel that became a popular stopping place for Methodist preachers. It was there that Harry Hoosier—known as “Black Harry”—became a talented religious orator who traveled throughout the frontier.

There were many who had attended the camp meetings, conferences, revivals, Love Feasts, and other religious gatherings where Harry spoke over a period of nearly a quarter of a century. As a former slave, Harry found a natural home among the Methodists in Indiana who preached against slavery and who often worshipped with former slaves on the American frontier. Because of this close fellowship, it does not seem at all unlikely that Methodists and then other rustics of the backcountry could be called ‘Hoosiers’–disciples of the illiterate black exhorter Harry Hoosier—including the many Methodists who questioned slavery.

Such nicknames for religious adherents are common in history.

The first recorded use of the expression “red-neck” occurred in 1830 as an expression of derision for frontier Presbyterians in North Carolina. Such derogatory religious expressions were used on the American frontier. However, it may be that these evangelical Methodists were proud of the expression and regarded it as a badge of honor, rather than a label of dishonor.

It is possible that Harry helped to foster the abolition movement in Indiana, although there is no direct evidence to support this. However, it was in 1806 that enough Abolitionist were voted into office to overturn the slavery laws which the Indiana supreme court upheld in 1820.

So...It is highly possible that Hoosier is a term that many Indiana abolitionists used as a badge of honor.

Link to more info here.....

Harry Hosier: Preacher Gives Indiana Its Nickname - Christian Heritage Fellowship, Inc.
    Of all of the explanations I've heard thru the years, and most of them multiple times from multiple sources, this is the first time I've ever heard this story.

I suppose it's as believable as all those others.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Of all of the explanations I've heard thru the years, and most of them multiple times from multiple sources, this is the first time I've ever heard this story.

I suppose it's as believable as all those others.
    I edited my post as I forgot to add this information.

Addition: In early 1800's most of Indiana's population was in Southern Indiana.
    So most of those using this nickname would have been located there. It is highly likely that the "Hoosier" nickname would have spread north and further into the state during the underground railroad days of 1830 - 1865 since abolitionist were a major influence in it's formation.

I think it is a great history. It shows that Indiana folk...Hoosiers...cared about people. When they saw what they knew was wrong, they did what they could to bring about change. Some of it was through the ballot box, and some was also through civil disobedience. It would not surprise me if "Hoosier" was originally meant to be an insult from those racists of the day and the abolitionist took it on as a badge of honor and ran with it.

For many years this information was lost. As I understand it, it was professor William D. Piersen who found this information in the 1990's in another state when researching for something else entirely. I myself had not learned this until a few years ago.

Last edited:

ChazL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Tell City
    I edited my post as I forgot to add this information.

Addition: In early 1800's most of Indiana's population was in Southern Indiana.

I think it is a great history. It shows that Indiana folk...Hoosiers...cared about people. When they saw what they knew was wrong, they did what they could to bring about change. Some of it was through the ballot box, and some was also through civil disobedience. It would not surprise me if "Hoosier" was originally meant to be an insult from those racists of the day and the abolitionist took it on as a badge of honor and ran with it.

Thank you so much for the info! Once I get settled in here, I would be proud to be called an adopted Hoosier.

Top Bottom