• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    From the Net: Joseph Wright derived Hoosier from an Indian word for corn, "hoosa." Indiana flatboatmen taking corn or maize to New Orleans came to be known as "hoosa men" or Hoosiers.

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Slang Term from the Net:
    Wherever it came from, “hoosier” was in common use in the South by the 19th century as “a term of contempt and opprobrium…used to denote a rustic, a bumpkin, a countryman, a roughneck, a hick or an awkward, uncouth or unskilled fellow,” notes Jeffrey Graf of Indiana University's Herman B Wells Library.

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I have always heard it comes from Who's Here. Instead of Who is it ? Like someone at the door, who's here ? Say it fast enough and with a southern draw it comes out hoosier. And yes I am from Kentucky but raised in Indiana But I do carry a draw it comes form my grandma and mom. And my mom's best friend who lived next door. You get them 3 together and it was a hoot. Sure miss them days.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Slang Term from the Net:
    Wherever it came from, “hoosier” was in common use in the South by the 19th century as “a term of contempt and opprobrium…used to denote a rustic, a bumpkin, a countryman, a roughneck, a hick or an awkward, uncouth or unskilled fellow,” notes Jeffrey Graf of Indiana University's Herman B Wells Library.
    Well, that describes about 90% of the folks from this end of the state, myself included. No, that is NOT an exaggeration.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, that describes about 90% of the folks from this end of the state, myself included. No, that is NOT an exaggeration.
    Come to Canada sometime - we have maple syrup. ;)

Last I went to Indiucky's store I brought him bottle since he's always calling me a Canadian. :laugh6:

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I really feel out of place now, I'm a displaced cheesehead (via MN & MI) and a packer backer to boot. Only been here about 15 years. Please dont hold it against me.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Was driving back and forth into Ohio a lot a couple of years ago. Seriously considered using a dash cam to capture lots of imagery of various sights and county roads through the corn fields and use the tunnel effect in with a speeded up frame rate to make a "Doctor Hoosier" video for nephews in Texas. My work car might not look like a TARDIS but it would have been a fun project. Might still do it just fer grins.

Top Bottom