• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    What about gardening as a prep? I not only have a garden but aquaponics which also produce fish, dual purpose chickens eggs/meat.

In my opinion using your brain and being able to solve problems with unconventional means is the best prep.

I need a widget, I have no widget. What do I have that I can make a widget like device. Example the alarm in camping using a mousetrap etc. Using PVC pipe and sand/charcoal to make a water filter.

Funny thing, the redneck/hillbilly in my opinion much better prepared, and none of them think of it as prepping, just livin in the woods or on the farm. It may not look pretty, but it works, was free or damn near, did it on their own, and got the job done.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Those of us who ....

.... have lived like -- or seen how they live -- the Amish will sure see the wisdom in this!! Hand-tools show up at Shippy auctions -- they are snapped up like gold bars!
    Tools and the knowledge and ability to use them will be invaluable! I'm not planning on relying on that solely, but it's in the plans!

deanwirth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    our grandparents were prepared they just didnt call them preppers it was a way of life

I was just talking to my parents about this a few days ago. We also brought up the fact that it is common for older Mormon famillies to stock up to 3 months worth of food at any given time.

howlinghudson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Bedford
    22 Ammo. loads of tampons toilet paper hygiene. we wouldn't want a bloody mess now would we?
    diapers baby wipes formula...will all be hot **** when shtf...oh yeah coffee
    and chocolate. when America collapses you think other countries will be concerned
    with our much needed mud?

Timcor3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    As I didn't read through all the posts and it may have been posted before, I keep two older victor single spring traps in my bag. Still inexpensive and light weight. I see them at flea markets and often.

trgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    South West Indy
    Water is the most important thing on Earth. If you lose power for an extended period of time, do you have a plan to be able to pump water?
    have a pitcher pump they also have small solar pumps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XsJlnieD_Y

solar would be a great investment right now. with the push for "climate change" the current administration is looking to put a hurt on all of us with regulation on coal.
    solar in the SHTF will be very valuable. If the grid is down people will need power. By having solar you will be able to recharge batteries for people.

I am not a big "investor" for silver for SHTF, I believe it will be goods that you can actually use to keep you alive or get by that will be helpful. I believe that silver and gold will be after SHTF when you will be able to "cash in" on this. There will be some type of new currency. Remember when the Dollar was actually backed by gold. Surely we will not make the same mistake twice.

Silver coins
    nickels up to 1945
    dimes up to 1965
    quarters up to 1965
    half dollar up to 1965 1965-1970 are 40%
    dollar up to 1935 1971-1976 are 40%

not sure about copper but up to 1984 pennies were copper

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Very nice info
    Thanks

have a pitcher pump they also have small solar pumps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XsJlnieD_Y

solar would be a great investment right now. with the push for "climate change" the current administration is looking to put a hurt on all of us with regulation on coal.
    solar in the SHTF will be very valuable. If the grid is down people will need power. By having solar you will be able to recharge batteries for people.

I am not a big "investor" for silver for SHTF, I believe it will be goods that you can actually use to keep you alive or get by that will be helpful. I believe that silver and gold will be after SHTF when you will be able to "cash in" on this. There will be some type of new currency. Remember when the Dollar was actually backed by gold. Surely we will not make the same mistake twice.

Silver coins
    nickels up to 1945
    dimes up to 1965
    quarters up to 1965
    half dollar up to 1965 1965-1970 are 40%
    dollar up to 1935 1971-1976 are 40%

not sure about copper but up to 1984 pennies were copper

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    How about this:

CHEAP EASY PERIMETER ALARM
    You need: Mouse trap
    Large Pistol Primer
    BB
    Glue Gun/Crazy Glue

Start with the mouse trap in the "snapped" position, trace the bar so you know where it ends up on the wood. Put a small spot of glue on the wood where the bar hits, glue the primer there. Glue the BB to the bar so that it's lined up with the primer, alternatively you can bend the bar slightly so it protrudes down to hit the primer..
    When you want to use it simply tie the fishing line to the "trigger" of the mouse trap, run it around you campsite about 6" off the ground. When you've completely surrounded your campsite tie off the fishing line. Now, nail/screw the mousetrap to tree, and set it, ensuring the fishing line is taught.

If somebody/something attempts to enter you campsite and trips the "tripwire" the mouse trap will slap closed on the primer causing it to go bang. I've used these a couple times while camping, string a few of them around and you can sleep like a baby....and if they go bang, they'll wake you up.....unless you sleep like the dead lol.
    Much easier and reliable to just use nails and LPP.
    1. You tap the nails into the wooden mouse trap where the bar hits.
    2. Cut the head off the nails.
    3. 'set' the trap (and secure so it doesn't go off until you want to use it--like zip tie around the body for longer term).
    4. Set primers onto the nail heads (set with adhesive or tape).

renov8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Indy
    I agree that water is a must. Also, you must learn how to filter water in a long term situation where you cannot just go out and buy water. Stock up what you can and get a good water filter.

SNAGGLE TOOTH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Indy
    If the world ended tomorrow I suspect that the $ would continue to be the currency of the land simply because it cannot be counterfeited easily in a post electricity environment (especially small bills) and it will be the only familiar fiat currency. Gas may cost $20 a gallon but it will be denominated in $ I think....it will take a long time for the general public to savvy up to junk coins and know their value. Ammo, alcohol would be good barter tools and these have a long shelf life. Read Boston T Party as he has some good thoughts on prepping for financial collapse. He was holding gold when it was $300 an ounce. A good battle rifle and 1000 rounds of ammo in such an environment would be worth more than gold in his view.

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center

I have been using a woodburner in my home for 13 yrs, I just spent 3-4 hrs reading EVERY page of WOODHEAT.org page and I leaned somethings, understand a few things better now and dispelled someWRONG things I had learned in the past. Great resource!!

Top Bottom