• ...and so much more!
  • Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    LARGE PROPANE TANK
    i am wonder if any one knows on the average how long would a 1000# propane tank last in a 1000sqft. well insulated home, the propane would be used for heating, lighting, cooking and hot water. in a very coservitve manner (WSHTF)

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    LARGE PROPANE TANK
    i am wonder if any one knows on the average how long would a 1000# propane tank last in a 1000sqft. well insulated home, the propane would be used for heating, lighting, cooking and hot water. in a very coservitve manner (WSHTF)

Depends on how conservative you are with it and many other things. Depends on how many things you run on it and to what extent you run them. If the house is well insulated and your very conservative, only running things when absolutely necessary you should get 9 months to a year out of it. It would be beneficial to have other sources for some of those things as well thus helping preserve your propane as long as possible.

Just FYI, you can buy the tanks used for about $0.50 per gallon. So a 1000 galllon tank can be bought for around $500. You can manifold tanks together giving you an even larger system. So if you had two 1000 gallon tanks manifolded together you have just doubled your capacity. Propane can basically set for years and never go bad so you could fill the system little by little over time as you had the money and once full you would be set for when SHTF.

Also another FYI, ( I used to haul propane for a living, that's why I know so much about it ) the best time to purchase is in the summer. Most companies give rather large discounts to people who buy in the summer because they are not doing much business at all during that time. If you own your tank you also get better pricing than if you are renting your tank from them, usually about $0.30 per gallon less just for owning your own tank. Owning your own tank and filling in the summer can save you somewhere between $0.45 to $0.80 per gallon. That adds up pretty quick with a large system.

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    thanks for that, I was hoping to get 12 months. I am well aware that there is such a wide scope for this. my hope is to have two 1000# tanks eached piped seperatly to the hide out, just in case somthing goes wrong with one. I do plan on burrying them so they are out of site. where would you look for these tanks used. Do i need to have "PADS" on the sides of these tanks or is that just a money thing for the sellers of the tanks?

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    thanks for that, I was hoping to get 12 months. I am well aware that there is such a wide scope for this. my hope is to have two 1000# tanks eached piped seperatly to the hide out, just in case somthing goes wrong with one. I do plan on burrying them so they are out of site. where would you look for these tanks used. Do i need to have "PADS" on the sides of these tanks or is that just a money thing for the sellers of the tanks?

You can't just "bury a tank" with an above ground tank. You would have to buy an actual underground tank which is constructed differently. Hard to find underground tanks for sale used. You can check with your local propane provider and they might know of some used tanks or they may have some for sale even. If not they can order you new ones but if you shop around you can probably get a better deal. I believe places like TSC, Farm and Fleet etc... sell them so I'd check those avenues also..

rnungester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Awesome thread. Also if anyone has any questions about "junk" silver feel free to ask me. I have been putting away for years. I also sell large quantities of pre 64 silver at spot price-no premiums...

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Dave Scamsey

Almost all of Dave's "breakthrough ideas" are borrowed -- without attribution -- from other financial wizards of the past -- H.L. Hunt, Marlin Maddoux, Larry Burkett, and A.L.Williams come to mind. But Dave sells those ideas to subscribers Caveat Emptor whereas the gents mentioned have many of their ideas posted for free access. BTW, "junk silver" used to cost $1,000 per sack. It is now $35,000. Has ammo jumped as high? Yet? Mine has not, but I'm still buying some ea. week.
    csaws - I saw you had Dave Ramsey listed. Does anyone else use Dave Ramsey's plan? I know he states to keep it in liquid cash but given the instability of a fiat - just wondering...

czyhorse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Seymour
    Just FYI, you can buy the tanks used for about $0.50 per gallon. So a 1000 galllon tank can be bought for around $500. You can manifold tanks together giving you an even larger system. So if you had two 1000 gallon tanks manifolded together you have just doubled your capacity. Propane can basically set for years and never go bad so you could fill the system little by little over time as you had the money and once full you would be set for when SHTF.
    Please let me know where you can get used LP tanks for around $0.50 a gal. The ones I've seen for sale recently are usually going around $1 a gal.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Please let me know where you can get used LP tanks for around $0.50 a gal. The ones I've seen for sale recently are usually going around $1 a gal.

Well they sell here for $.50 / gallon all the time. I worked for ferrellgas here in east central part of the state and that has been the going rate for the last 2 years on them. If you find someone who has an old tank just setting not being used sometimes even cheaper. An old farmer I used to deliver to bought a 1000 gallon tank for $100 last winter.

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    Im just not following the whole gold and silver thing. I understand that is has value now and is much better than paper. If "SHTF" like many people say i dont see it having any more benefit than paper. If i say to someone when food is hard to come by, "Ill give you this coin for that protien bar" the answer will probably be no. I still think that commodities such as gas, food, guns, etc. are better investments. Now if you dont think things get that bad and you are using it as an investment tool that i understand.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How about this:

CHEAP EASY PERIMETER ALARM
    You need: Mouse trap
    Large Pistol Primer
    BB
    Glue Gun/Crazy Glue

Start with the mouse trap in the "snapped" position, trace the bar so you know where it ends up on the wood. Put a small spot of glue on the wood where the bar hits, glue the primer there. Glue the BB to the bar so that it's lined up with the primer, alternatively you can bend the bar slightly so it protrudes down to hit the primer..
    When you want to use it simply tie the fishing line to the "trigger" of the mouse trap, run it around you campsite about 6" off the ground. When you've completely surrounded your campsite tie off the fishing line. Now, nail/screw the mousetrap to tree, and set it, ensuring the fishing line is taught.

If somebody/something attempts to enter you campsite and trips the "tripwire" the mouse trap will slap closed on the primer causing it to go bang. I've used these a couple times while camping, string a few of them around and you can sleep like a baby....and if they go bang, they'll wake you up.....unless you sleep like the dead lol.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    How about this:

CHEAP EASY PERIMETER ALARM
    You need: Mouse trap
    Large Pistol Primer
    BB
    Glue Gun/Crazy Glue

Start with the mouse trap in the "snapped" position, trace the bar so you know where it ends up on the wood. Put a small spot of glue on the wood where the bar hits, glue the primer there. Glue the BB to the bar so that it's lined up with the primer, alternatively you can bend the bar slightly so it protrudes down to hit the primer..
    When you want to use it simply tie the fishing line to the "trigger" of the mouse trap, run it around you campsite about 6" off the ground. When you've completely surrounded your campsite tie off the fishing line. Now, nail/screw the mousetrap to tree, and set it, ensuring the fishing line is taught.

If somebody/something attempts to enter you campsite and trips the "tripwire" the mouse trap will slap closed on the primer causing it to go bang. I've used these a couple times while camping, string a few of them around and you can sleep like a baby....and if they go bang, they'll wake you up.....unless you sleep like the dead lol.

AWESOME! I saw bear grylls do something like this with a coffee can suspended in a tree and filled with rocks. this is really nice because its portable. Guess what I'm doing tonight!

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    AWESOME! I saw bear grylls do something like this with a coffee can suspended in a tree and filled with rocks. this is really nice because its portable. Guess what I'm doing tonight!

A buddy of mine, a fellow prepper, taught me how to do these about 10/15 years ago. I started using them when camping and they work really well. I've had animals (assume 4 legged) trip them a couple times, never failed to wake me up, and never failed to scare the hell out of whatever animal it was so it ran away. Wouldn't necessarily scare off a 2 legged predator, but at least you'd have warning they were coming and be able to prepare before they slit open the side of your tent.

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Don't rely totally on rabbits. "Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou, is a form of acute malnutrition caused by excess consumption of any lean meat (e.g., rabbit) coupled with a lack of other sources of nutrients usually in combination with other stressors, such as severe cold or dry environment." You'll want to supplement your diet. Beaver is a good source for oils to balance this out. I like to keep track of where they are locally in case I need that option.

hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    A buddy of mine, a fellow prepper, taught me how to do these about 10/15 years ago. I started using them when camping and they work really well. I've had animals (assume 4 legged) trip them a couple times, never failed to wake me up, and never failed to scare the hell out of whatever animal it was so it ran away. Wouldn't necessarily scare off a 2 legged predator, but at least you'd have warning they were coming and be able to prepare before they slit open the side of your tent.
    I got my traps and started making them, I will be ready. :ar15::ar15:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    If it is REAL SHTF, there will be ...

... no goodies on ☭hi-☭om-mart's shelves, there will be no gasoline unless you pay the gangstahs (biker-gangs and Homeys) for access to the pump-switch, @ $10+ per gallon, and no food or water. If you even THINK you'll be trading silver for food-bars, you'd better be stocking up on food-bars NOW while the "dollar" has a recognizable barter-value. Paper will be worth ØØØØ. The value of silver now will increase, as the paper-bill inflates to NOTHING. Maybe a paper dollar will buy you a pack of chewing-gum, whereas the silver 25¢ will buy you an MRE plus a heater and toilet paper. And just WHERE will you store any worthwhile amounts of gas, food, guns, etc. to be effective investments? Silver is a good very-short-term investment. You had better start getting ready REAL soon! EBG
    Im just not following the whole gold and silver thing. I understand that is has value now and is much better than paper. If "SHTF" like many people say i dont see it having any more benefit than paper. If i say to someone when food is hard to come by, "Ill give you this coin for that protien bar" the answer will probably be no. I still think that commodities such as gas, food, guns, etc. are better investments. Now if you dont think things get that bad and you are using it as an investment tool that i understand.

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    If it is bad enough, .22 ammo well be great currency. Can easily divide, is nearly inelastic once the dust settles, and holds it's real value. Like cigarrettes in prison. Also, check out survivalblog.com if you haven't. My guess is 99.99% of you have been there, and continue to go back.

And sigrome is right - loose lips sink ships.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom