Hoosier Survival Project Ideas

longbow

Grandmaster
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apr 2, 2008
south central IN
Post links to survival projects you think might help out Ingo members.

These projects should fall into the items that can be obtained at local stores, basic tools and average skills. If you have advanced ideas, please share them, but tell us what special skills , materials or tools are needed.

Projects:

Water Filter:
https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ess/164600-low_cost_water_filter_project.html

Fire Starting
https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2110446#post2110446

Emergency Power
https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2135117#post2135117

Last edited:

RichardR

Expert
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 21, 2010
Years & years ago I did a series of these sorts of projects for another website, I'll see if I can find links to some of the projects if they are still online or if they are archived somewhere & repost them here.

If not I might just redo them, I think that the most popular of the bunch was probably the home-made backpacking stove kit so if I do decide to redo them I'd probably start with that one.

csaws

Expert
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
May 28, 2008
Morgan County
I was actually thinking we need a Prepper tech thread and was on my way to beg Fenway for one. However I see Longbow beat me.

Stschil

Grandmaster
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 24, 2010
At the edge of sanit
Very cool idea!
We are preparing to purchase a 350 KwH p/month solar system to power our garage/workshop and root cellar. It's a kit, but this may be a good thing to photo journal and chronicle my self installation efforts, including my mistakes when (I'm sure I'll make a few) they happen. I am also considering tieing into the house after separating the high voltage draw appliances like the stove, dryer and water heater into their own breaker box.

clarky51

Plinker
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jun 16, 2011
csaws - I saw you had Dave Ramsey listed. Does anyone else use Dave Ramsey's plan? Has anyone one considered partially diversifying in junk silver for his baby step for "3-6 Living Expense Safety Fund"? I know he states to keep it in liquid cash but given the instability of a fiat - just wondering...

csaws

Expert
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
May 28, 2008
Morgan County
What is your definition of junk silver? Pre 64 coinage is where I would consider if I were going to buy silver. We have been trying to do the snowball but most of the other stuff we really don't do we have little to pay off and we are trying to get much needed home repairs done chimney relining and some well repairs.

Piston

Plinker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 12, 2011
I highly suggest reading 'Lights Out.' It opens the mind to very real, potential threats. Obviously, everyone will prepare a little bit differently, but it's good information.

clarky51

Plinker
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jun 16, 2011
Start raising rabbits for meat. Rabbits provide an excellent source of protein and are easy to keep. I am keeping them in a shed currently but have designed a wire hutch on wheels where the rabbits can be wheeled around the garden directly dropping their fertilizer where needed.

EvilBlackGun

Expert
Rating - 100%
5   0   1
Apr 11, 2011
Mid-eastern
Hoosier winter

Start raising rabbits for meat. Rabbits provide an excellent source of protein and are easy to keep. I am keeping them in a shed currently but have designed a wire hutch on wheels where the rabbits can be wheeled around the garden directly dropping their fertilizer where needed.
Do rabbits stay in the shed in the winter? Are rabbits hardier than chickens? Can fur and feathers coexist in the same shed?

EvilBlackGun

Expert
Rating - 100%
5   0   1
Apr 11, 2011
Mid-eastern
Times they are a'changin'

The $1,000 face-value bag of 90% J.S. will now set you back closer to $25,000-$30,000. You won't need to look far to find things to buy with "JUNK" Silver.
I would say that is liquid enough. Maybe not as liquid as getting it today but it wont take you months to sell it if needed.

clarky51

Plinker
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jun 16, 2011
Do rabbits stay in the shed in the winter? Are rabbits hardier than chickens? Can fur and feathers coexist in the same shed?

I'm keeping our rabbits in the shed this winter but am planning on moving them out in suspended cages over the garden.

With winters like these neither chickens or rabbits will have any problem. Have had chickens for a long time and with proper housing haven't lost any to winter yet.

I have fur and feather living next door to each other with no issues yet but I don't claim to be an expert.

Products discussed on INGO

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gomer
Top Bottom