• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    I just ordered some of the high-tech coated bullets from Hoosier Bullets. They came so fast that I was scratching my head as to what they were. ...until I grabbed the box. 10lbs of bullets probably made the postman cuss a bit.

I ordered some 160gr 9mm bullets and some 220gr 30 caliber bullets.

Anyone have any experience with loading either of those?

-NR

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    No experience with Hoosiers coated bullets personally. But if you’re using those 220gr bullets for 300BLK you’ll want to use a neck expander to flare the case a little bit. I’ve heard horror stories of shaving the coatings off of coated bullets using 300 BLK

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    No experience with Hoosiers coated bullets personally. But if you’re using those 220gr bullets for 300BLK you’ll want to use a neck expander to flare the case a little bit. I’ve heard horror stories of shaving the coatings off of coated bullets using 300 BLK
    Will the OP need to crimp the 30 caliber with the flaired neck.....or ??? Need to be able to chamber after flairing the neck?

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I just ordered some of the high-tech coated bullets from Hoosier Bullets. They came so fast that I was scratching my head as to what they were. ...until I grabbed the box. 10lbs of bullets probably made the postman cuss a bit.

-NR

Those 300s are a really good price - even compared to Berry's. Wonder if they are suppressor safe. I would assume so? Also why they two size options - .309 and .310?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I don't shoot those particular bullets but I'm a fan of HBC. I shoot their 158 grain coated SWC in heavy 357 Magnum handgun and rifle loads with good results.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I enjoy shooting Hoosier Bullets. Their facility is just a few miles from my house. Anyone shooting any lead bullets should flare the case mouth just enough to seat the bullet without scraping lead or the coating. The flare should be removed by properly adjusting a crimp die. Just how much crimp is needed should be determined by the reloader. Perhaps the ammo will be used in a revolver or a levergun where COAL growth is a potential problem.

Bullet width is a standard consideration when shooting lead bullets. Typically lead bullets sized 0.002" over nominal bore diameter is a good start. I gave up slugging bores years ago and now all I'm concerned about is throat diameter. I load a dummy round at a typical COAL and see if the bullet fits the throat. If not, I go one or two thousandths smaller until it does. Sometimes I play with COAL when I'm using lead bullets without crimp grooves or if I'm using a non-typical combination like a 45-70 (.458) bullet that I've sized down to .454" to shoot in my 45 Colt.

Last edited:

guinnb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    Columbus
    I've loaded both their 9mm 124rn and 45 200 swc this year. Been fantastic...so much I got 1000 45's and just ordered 1000 more 9mm's

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've shot a bunch of Hoosier 9mm and .45 bullets in a couple of different weights each. My G21 and SR1911 really like the 230 gr .45s. Currently loading 124 gr 9mm for a G45 and a Sig P230. I bell the case mouths a little more than I do with jacketed bullets and crimp just enough to take out the bell. Use the "plunk test" to determine OAL. Remove the barrel from the gun and use it as a OAL gauge. When you drop a round into the chamber, if it goes "plunk" you're good to go.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Those 300s are a really good price - even compared to Berry's. Wonder if they are suppressor safe. I would assume so? Also why they two size options - .309 and .310?

They should be suppressor safe. Hi-Tek or Powder Coated bullets don't lead, so they should be fine through a suppressor as long as they are stabilized by the barrel properly.

I've been shooting my own cast 230gr .309 bullets, after powder coating them, through my suppressors with no problems at all.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

-NR
    The 160gr would be fun to work up a load on.
    What is your goal for this bullet? Is it for a suppressor or just trying out a heavy for caliber bullet?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

They are suppressor safe. I went with 500 of the .309 round nose... the results have been pretty good for the price. I've had a few get stuck going into my 300 BO, but they ran fine through my friends. It might just be I need to seat them a bit deeper for my rifle compared to his, but I can say that the 220gr are actually 217gr. When loading subs, that little bit has caused a few of mine to not be subsonic, so I'm loading another .2 grains of powder lower now.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I have ran 1k of the 124 grn 9mm. I had to expand more than normal with my powder funnel to cut down on shaving. It may have been just the batch I got, but most were closer to .357 in diameter than .356.

They are definitely suppressor safe

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    Some bores like a bit larger size. I think the 300 BLK may like .310s? Not sure. I ordered the .309s which is usually what unsized 30 caliber cast lead ends up. I'm using them in lower speed loads out of a 300 WinMag. For bottlenecked rifle cartridges I use a stepped neck expander. Its expands the neck to a standard size just under the bullet size so it holds the bullet. But, the "step" flares the end just slightly above the size of the bullet so the above reported "shaving" does not take place. I usually flare them enough so that the bullets will stick in them while I run them into the seating die. Never had to worry about a re-crimp (or, in this case an "un-flare") to get the neck to fit in the chamber. Well, I say that, if you have to you're running cartridge too far up on the easy start step.

SEH0521

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jun 18, 2020
    Jackson County
    I've loaded a few thousand 9mm and .45ACP with great results. Like DRob said... bell the mouth a little more and crimpjust enough to remove bell. Then plunk 'em!

Top Bottom