• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I went to a friend's house this evening and he had a new piece of furniture in his home. He had been working on it in his wood-shop for a while and it was finished. I figured I'd post it up for the guys/gals of INGO to have a look at, as I think it's pretty cool.

He made it to look like a dresser almost, only larger, and thickened up the sides so that it is heavy and secure. The drawers are made out of black walnut and lined with velour. Each drawer has it's own lock to secure it as well.

I think it looks amazing, and he made it himself, which is also cool. The thing is HEAVY too. He had me try and lift an end, and there was no way. (I'm not the world's strongest, but I can usually help move furniture)

(edit for all the people, and their wives asking)
    My friend can make you pretty much anything you want. If you are serious, let me know and I'll ask him about it. If you really want one that's just a dresser or a wardrobe, or I don't know what else, I just have to talk to him and I'm sure he'd do some side work.

Anyway, I took some pictures to share because I think it's awesome. Have a look!!

2wpl8wl.jpg

The top drawers were made for handguns, and ammunition...
    vhu8ax.jpg

middle drawer for rifles...
    25s06qh.jpg

lower drawer for rifles with scopes... (it's 3 1/2" deeper)
    30monj7.jpg

The corners are finished with wood insets.
    2ahh7jl.jpg

I took this to show the hardware
    30axv1z.jpg

Last edited:

asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ill be the first to say "THATS AWESOME!" I have a small closet in one of my bedrooms and I was thinking of turning it into a gun safe but I like his idea better. GOOD JOB!

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Thats a pretty cool idea and some nice wood work. I like to do a little wood working a the winter to keep busy. I've never built a dresser but something similar might be next on the list.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    That is nice. I know I could build something solid like that but I'm not sure it would end up as nice looking, I don't have the patience for that type of work.

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    Your friend, we see, is a Master Craftsman. This is some real good work. I know this has been posted/asked already, but seriously, would he take orders and build these for others here?

HUFFMANWG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    VA.
    I went to a friend's house this evening and he had a new piece of furniture in his home. He had been working on it in his wood-shop for a while and it was finished. I figured I'd post it up for the guys/gals of INGO to have a look at, as I think it's pretty cool.

He made it to look like a dresser almost, only larger, and thickened up the sides so that it is heavy and secure. The drawers are made out of black walnut and lined with velour. Each drawer has it's own lock to secure it as well.

I think it looks amazing, and he made it himself, which is also cool. The thing is HEAVY too. He had me try and lift an end, and there was no way. (I'm not the world's strongest, but I can usually help move furniture)

Anyway, I took some pictures to share because I think it's awesome. Have a look!!

2wpl8wl.jpg

The top drawers were made for handguns, and ammunition...
    vhu8ax.jpg

middle drawer for rifles...
    25s06qh.jpg

lower drawer for rifles with scopes... (it's 3 1/2" deeper)
    30monj7.jpg

The corners are finished with wood insets.
    2ahh7jl.jpg

I took this to show the hardware
    30axv1z.jpg
    THATS SOME REAL GOOD WORK. ALSO A GREAT IDEAL.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Always that is nice. I might start looking for another cedar hope chest to reinforce and modify for that since my skills and budget couldn't afford or create that.

Tell your friend to make another and start taking orders. Not every gun owner is on a strict budget so he should do well selling them. Not exactly a safe but neither are the pretty gunracks they sell.

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    That's a beautiful piece of furniture regardless of what purpose for which it was designed. As someone mentioned, other than the fact that it has locks (sometimes several) for each drawer, no one would consider that it might house anything other than socks and boxer shorts. :yesway:

To get a gloss finish like that is a lot of work. Very nice craftsmanship! I bet this guy sanded for hours on end.

It really does look like a nice, high polish. Looks like nice work all around.

Two downsides I can see...it obviously isn't fire safe, and a sledgehammer renders it useless and destroys it in the process. It's still way more secure than what a lot of folks use, though, and obviously looks infinitely better!

Nice work!

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Hey everyone,

I talked to my friend today, and he said if people are interested, he would be willing to make similar cabinets/chests for people. He does not have access to internet at his home, but if you want to PM me I can give you more information. He also said if he sells a couple and people seem interested in them, he'd even become an INGO advertiser.

Prices will vary based on depending on the wood chosen, finish, hardware and customization people would want. He also said that if you wanted something smaller/larger/different/specific, you can ask and if he know's how to do it, he'd do it.

That's all for now. Feel free to message me. It made him feel good to hear the positive replies because it was something he made for himself and he liked hearing other people appreciated the work he put into it. :)

edit: I forgot to post the dimensions of the one in the picture:

66" wide x 30" deep x 33" tall. Drawers are Top: 5" deep. Mid: 7" deep. Bot: 10" deep.

This is just the one in the photo, as stated, this is just the size he wanted, it is easily changeable.

Last edited:

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    WOW doesn't even to begin to describe that peice. Very nice and your freind definately has skills. What a labor of love

Top Bottom