• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Can’t beat a good ole Remington 870 or Mossberg pump…. They work very well in that role!!!
    ^^^^^ This
    There's a reason the U.S. military used both: Remington 870 for many years and now the Mossberg M500 / M590 / M590A1. Units are still using legacy Remington 870's and countless PD's use them. I recommend 18" barrel with cylinder choke for self defense. A pump action is simple to work and simple to clean.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would highly suggest you shoot some first. Especially if you are considering a pistol grip model.
    True.
    I remember years ago thinking it would be cool to put a pistol grip on my Mossburg 590.

When I fired it to try it out, it "killed" my hand. :lmfao:
    So I put the butt stock back on it.
    GEE, it always looks so cool on TV... :cool:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    True.
    I remember years ago thinking it would be cool to put a pistol grip on my Mossburg 590.

When I fired it to try it out, it "killed" my hand. :lmfao:
    So I put the butt stock back on it.
    GEE, it always looks so cool on TV... :cool:
    Just like the 1887 Winchester lever action Arnold Schwarzenegger used in Terminator 2. There were several of them. One was made for him to flip around. Others were made to fire blanks. He picked the wrong one to demo the flip around to someone and damn near broke his hand.

Ltrain37

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Crawfordsville
    The next thing I am on the lookout for to add to my collection is a shotgun for home defense. Probably leaning towards a pump action with a pistol grip 20 gauge. Maybe a 12. And it would have to be on the inexpensive side. Really inexpensive. I am not experienced with shotguns but have been doing some research. Also, I’m not a big person so would need to be manageable.

I can’t believe I just missed the giveaway!!

Any suggestions for a good quality inexpensive shotgun?? Thanks
    I recommend a mossberg 500 or 590

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    Oh that's a shame. He had mentioned having to close a few years ago, but as far as I knew he had managed to stay open. Always heard good things.
    So, I tried to go by Falls City Firearms again yesterday around 3p, doors were locked and no one was there. The posted hours say they closed at 4p. There was still merchandise in there and a few firearms that I wanted to check out. I could see them through the barred glass. I tried calling them phone but no answer. Idk what’s going on with them?

Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville
    The next thing I am on the lookout for to add to my collection is a shotgun for home defense. Probably leaning towards a pump action with a pistol grip 20 gauge. Maybe a 12. And it would have to be on the inexpensive side. Really inexpensive. I am not experienced with shotguns but have been doing some research. Also, I’m not a big person so would need to be manageable.

Rem 870 or Mossburg(88, 500, 590) will both work just fine. For stock options I would 100% add on the Magpul SGA stock. Looks odd but is by far the best ergo option.

Shot gun is not 100% drop safe, even with safety on. Keep it in “cruiser ready” condition. With an empty chamber - dry Fire and leave safety off. This frees the action to place a round in Chamber when you rack the gun. It’s not the noise of the rack, it’s that if’s shotgun falls over it could fire and take out any thing in front of the barrel though several walls.

Load with some decent buck shot, add a white light of some kind and you can have a decent defense set up for under $500

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    So I did it! Thanks to everyone for the variety of suggestions…Mossberg. :lmfao: Ended up picking the 88 on sale at KYGunCo. (Thanks cg21!!). They only had the one with the pistol grip in stock so I will be getting a buttstock combo eventually to swap out. Can’t wait to customize it!

Also, if anyone is near the Clarksville area, Cash America had a Mossberg 500AG 12ga wood furniture for $225 (they wouldn’t come down) and Easy Cash Pawn had an 88 12ga for $169 (offered $150 out the door). Both looked to be in decent condition but it looked like they had probably a 26” barrel.

I just decided to go with a new one and not have to pay the extra $100 to swap a barrel out.

Last edited:

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    18.5” 20 gauge will be perfect for home defense. You won’t need much for modification. Find a 20 gauge youth stock to replace the pistol grip. Really that is all you need.
    Yeah, I know it doesn’t need much. But I will probably put a light on it, maybe a strap on the forend, and maybe upgrade the sights…

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I did it! Thanks to everyone for the variety of suggestions…Mossberg. :lmfao: Ended up picking the 88 on sale at KYGunCo. (Thanks cg21!!). They only had the one with the pistol grip in stock so I will be getting a buttstock combo eventually to swap out. Can’t wait to customize it!

Also, if anyone is near the Clarksville area, Cash America had a Mossberg 500AG 12ga wood furniture for $225 (they wouldn’t come down) and Easy Cash Pawn had an 88 12ga for $169 (offered $150 out the door). Both looked to be in decent condition but it looked like they had probably a 26” barrel.

I just decided to go with a new one and not have to pay the extra $100 to swap a barrel out.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg

There's a guy here that's unhappy with a shortened 16ga....

Just sayin....

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    Question… why is it that I can find pistol grips and pistol grip/stock combos, but it has been impossible to find a regular stock to add to the original pistol grip? I don’t understand??? Seems so obvious but yet I’m having trouble finding this and the ppl that I have asked look at me like I’m stupid. Maybe I I’m uneducated in this but not stupid. Please explain… :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Question… why is it that I can find pistol grips and pistol grip/stock combos, but it has been impossible to find a regular stock to add to the original pistol grip? I don’t understand??? Seems so obvious but yet I’m having trouble finding this and the ppl that I have asked like at me like I’m stupid. Maybe I I’m uneducated in this but not stupid. Please explain… :dunno:
    not surprising. You are looking for what most already have. You are swimming upstream.

I believe the 88s use the same stocks as 500s. so dont just look for 88 stocks. (somebody correct me if Im wrong)

check ebay and numrich.

If you can find this same stock on ebay from Numrich, its probably cheaper there. Mine was. (they sell their stuff both places)

CORRECTED for 20ga

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    oh and numrich can also sell you the proper bolt to secure the stock. Im sure your pistol grip bolt is shorter.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom