• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    The next thing I am on the lookout for to add to my collection is a shotgun for home defense. Probably leaning towards a pump action with a pistol grip 20 gauge. Maybe a 12. And it would have to be on the inexpensive side. Really inexpensive. I am not experienced with shotguns but have been doing some research. Also, I’m not a big person so would need to be manageable.

I can’t believe I just missed the giveaway!!

Any suggestions for a good quality inexpensive shotgun?? Thanks

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The next thing I am on the lookout for to add to my collection is a shotgun for home defense. Probably leaning towards a pump action with a pistol grip 20 gauge. Maybe a 12. And it would have to be on the inexpensive side. Really inexpensive. I am not experienced with shotguns but have been doing some research. Also, I’m not a big person so would need to be manageable.

I can’t believe I just missed the giveaway!!

Any suggestions for a good quality inexpensive shotgun?? Thanks
    I would highly suggest you shoot some first. Especially if you are considering a pistol grip model.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    Where to shoot? Can’t at the range near my house.

I do appreciate your feedback but this is not going to be my CC firearm. With that being said, of course I will practice with anything that I I have. I believe that’s very important.

Just asking opinions for a good quality inexpensive shotgun.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    Where to shoot? Can’t at the range near my house.

I do appreciate your feedback but this is not going to be my CC firearm. With that being said, of course I will practice with anything that I I have. I believe that’s very important.

Just asking opinions for a good quality inexpensive shotgun.
    This was responding towards cedartop’s answer.

Also, I think the pistol grip would be better for my carpal tunnel. I think…. :dunno:

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Avoid pistol grip, you're just putting all the recoil into your hand/wrist vs letting your shoulder take it. If you're of smaller stature, a youth model 20g is often a good choice. Load with any weight buck shot (note buck, not bird), reduced recoil is fine if you can get it, call it a day. It's not something you need to overthink. I've never had anyone discharge their shotgun and lose a home invasion, as long as they fired it before getting in a wrestling match ove the gun.

I'd recommend stopping by Falls City Firearms since you're by Louisville. Rick is the owner and operator/sole employee. He's honest to a fault, will not sell you something that you can't handle, and often has a rack of older used shotguns on the cheaper end of things.

Address is: 141 E Maple Ct #100, Clarksville, IN 47129

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You might even want to look at 12ga. Ive been reading and unless you want to run slugs, your choices are limited in 20ga compared to 12. LOTS of buckshot choices in 12. Anything your heart desires. Buckshot in 20? Not so much.
    Coincidentally I just finished replacing the safety lever on my Mossberg 500a with a NDZ model. its got a positive grip vertical lever on it vs just serrations.

I run 00 buck in my 12, but thats not an option from what I can find. Only #1, 2, or 3 in 20ga.

And listen to the rodent in the hat. He knows of what he speaks. Especially in Pistol grips. They suuuuuck for shotguns.

If you can make it up to the INGO shoot in June at Proteq, let us know. I can bring my 500 for you to try in both 20 and 12. And others Im sure can bring other options. (the 500 is just an upgraded 88)

Another vote to talk to Rick. He's a good guy. (and here on INGO)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You might even want to look at 12ga. Ive been reading and unless you want to run slugs, your choices are limited in 20ga compared to 12. LOTS of buckshot choices in 12. Anything your heart desires. Buckshot in 20? Not so much.
    Coincidentally I just finished replacing the safety lever on my Mossberg 500a with a NDZ model. its got a positive grip vertical lever on it vs just serrations.

I run 00 buck in my 12, but thats not an option from what I can find. Only #1, 2, or 3 in 20ga.

And listen to the rodent in the hat. He knows of what he speaks. Especially in Pistol grips. They suuuuuck for shotguns.

If you can make it up to the INGO shoot in June at Proteq, let us know. I can bring my 500 for you to try in both 20 and 12. And others Im sure can bring other options. (the 500 is just an upgraded 88)

Another vote to talk to Rick. He's a good guy. (and here on INGO)
    I love my pistol grip shotguns, but I have decades of experience firing thousands of rounds, so not exactly what one might call "average".

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I echo what BBI said about avoiding a pistol grip shotgun!!! Shotguns need a stock. Look for a youth model with a shorter stock. 20 gauge is perfectly fine and would be the place to start, however I would not discount a 12 gauge with reduced recoil loads. 12 gauge shells have more options. The gun itself will weigh more but felt recoil with reduced recoil shells will not be any different or possibly less than the 20 gauge.

The youth model Mossberg 500s are solid little guns and you might be able to find a used one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I love my pistol grip shotguns, but I have decades of experience firing thousands of rounds, so not exactly what one might call "average".
    My beef is an AR style pistol grip stock is harder to manipulate between various positions. The more natural angle of a traditional stock I find easier to manipulate. Your Mileage May Vary.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Among the guns that I inherited from my dad was a 50's era 16 ga Wingmaster. I ended up shortening the barrel and making a leather buttstock cover for it, and it's the one long gun in my house that's always loaded. I even found some #1 Buck 16s for it. Dad bought it for pheasants back in the day, but he knew I never was a very good wing-shot, and he'd be fine with how I use it now I think.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My beef is an AR style pistol grip stock is harder to manipulate between various positions. The more natural angle of a traditional stock I find easier to manipulate. Your Mileage May Vary.
    When I hear "pistol grip stock" on a shotgun my thoughts go to the birdshead grip like on the 590 shockwaves.
    To me, those are incredibly fast and easy to wield.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When I hear "pistol grip stock" on a shotgun my thoughts go to the birdshead grip like on the 590 shockwaves.
    To me, those are incredibly fast and easy to wield.
    I was talking about these. Birdsheads are what I meant by natural angle.

iu

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Pistol Grip vs Birdshead. The debate is irrelevant. Shotguns need a stock and some sort of sighting system.

I just looked and can order a youth model Maverick 88 with short stock and 22” barrel for $263 through my local gun shop. That is a perfectly serviceable gun that will provide the owner with a lifetime of reliable use. The barrel is a little long but not excessive and a quick swap of the chokes will allow it to be enjoyed on the range or used for hunting.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Check out the new Beretta A300 Patrol... its getting to where I can't recommend a pump anymore. The semi auto Beretta works so well, and reduces recoil..

a300ultimaPatrol_listing001.jpg

Top Bottom