• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If grip and extension is even slightly off, no dot and no simple fix.
    I experienced the same thing. Sent mine back to Amazon. Totally turned off of red dot sights on handguns after my experiences shooting with red dots/green dots and comparing my speed and accuracy with iron night sights. I never intended to carry a pistol with a dot, but looked into one for my nightstand gun (Glock 34) because of my slightly fuzzy vision at night without my contact lenses in. I think I'll be much better served with a TLR2 light/green laser combo and Trijicon HD night sights which, while fuzzy, still allow me to index my pistol sufficiently to hit at home defense distances even without the laser.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Like some other aspects of the gun stuff we all love, the thinking that you can spend your way into being a better shooter is often mistaken.

You really need to make the effort to bring your skills to the level of consistent repeatability, without conscious thought.

The shooting sports is a good example of this. While the stars align for a slim few very quickly, most of us have a learning curve process that takes some time and a lot of practice reps.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Like some other aspects of the gun stuff we all love, the thinking that you can spend your way into being a better shooter is often mistaken.

You really need to make the effort to bring your skills to the level of consistent repeatability, without conscious thought.

The shooting sports is a good example of this. While the stars align for a slim few very quickly, most of us have a learning curve process that takes some time and a lot of practice reps.

That's true. Having already trained for decades with iron sights and reached a level of proficiency with them that would not be significantly improved by the switch to peering through a window to find a dot, I don't feel the need to fix what isn't broken. Shooting sports and measuring winners and losers by fractions of a second is not my focus when it comes to handguns. My focus is defensive shooting.

People overthink things.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My SCS will be here Monday, almost 3 weeks early. Then it will be decision time. My Glock 19.5 MOS is set up really nicely right now with Trijicon night sights and RMR. Going to the SCS means downgrading back to the Glock polymer sights (for the time being) and probably losing money on everything that comes off the pistol to make the changeover.

I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle. I might just return the SCS or sell it here. Or buy another Glock to put it on…

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe Kenny will pull off the RMR to sell separately? Never hurts to ask...

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Maybe Kenny will pull off the RMR to sell separately? Never hurts to ask...

There is always that chance for the right offer. LOL.

I got the chance to use the SCS at the range while being a safety officer for the dept. It was nice and the only complaint I heard was someone complaining because it was green.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mine showed up this afternoon and I took it out of the box and checked it out. My initial impression is it is extremely well-made and very compact. My next impression was the window is very small, but putting it side-by-side with the RMR there isn’t really that much of a difference, it just sits a lot lower on the pistol. I’m not convinced the presentation is so different between the RMR with night sights and the SCS with regular height sights but I haven’t bolted it on to check that yet and I’m not sure I’m going to. Like I said, I’ve got a really nice set up right now and I have no compelling reason to change it.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I have the same set up on a 365xl. I thought my eyes might like the circle in dot setting…but they definitely prefer the dot. Other than my Holosun coming with a dead battery…happy with finish, fit, and function. I just need more reps and practice with optic.
    Update on my Holosun 507k. As previously mentioned, battery was dead on arrival. Replaced battery and all was good…temporarily at least. Spent the next week or so coon fingering and practicing….another dead battery. Replaced battery yet again and followed instructions to a T. Placed in holster and put in safe. Check every 5-7 days…got about 3 weeks out of battery…in which time it was completely stationary other than testing. I did check to confirm that the auto off was working before placing in safe. Needless to say, this one is going back to Holosun.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Update on my Holosun 507k. As previously mentioned, battery was dead on arrival. Replaced battery and all was good…temporarily at least. Spent the next week or so coon fingering and practicing….another dead battery. Replaced battery yet again and followed instructions to a T. Placed in holster and put in safe. Check every 5-7 days…got about 3 weeks out of battery…in which time it was completely stationary other than testing. I did check to confirm that the auto off was working before placing in safe. Needless to say, this one is going back to Holosun.
    Out of curiosity, what battery are you using?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    CR1632

Not sure what the brand was that came with it, but replaced with Energizer. It’s not getting anywhere close to what the manual suggests.
    I am getting about 9 months out of mine using the circle. When I first got it, the one that was in it only lasted a few weeks and the one I replaced it with didn't do much better. I then went to Duracell like I use with everything else in the coin style batteries and it has been just fine. That of course doesn't mean that there is just not something wrong with you sample. I have been luckier than average with Holosun and have not had to send any back out of about 6 or 7 units. The same amount of Trijicons have seen me send 2 back.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    According to Aaron Cowan, the Duracell batteries have been more reliable for him.

ETA: had to fix the d*** autocorrect

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    According to Aaron Cowan, the Duracell batteries have been more reliable for him.

ETA: had to fix the d*** autocorrect

Not all Duracells are the same. I've gotten some from Amazon that tested under 3 volts, out of the sealed package, well before expire date. Sadly, this was discovered a year after purchase. Stocked up because the Duracell name and recomended by Arron Cowan. :rolleyes: Certainly not knocking Cowan, just sayin' YMMV.

Strangely, I have had very good luck with Amazon Basics CR123's.

I've also got two Vortex Vipers that need to go back for chewing through a battery in 2-3 weeks, every time.

Kinda sounds like the miracle of a red dot sight on your hip 24/7 is a thing prone to problem?

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I decided to go ahead and mount the SCS and give it a try. It fits well and looks good on the pistol but it is weird having the dot set so low after being used to the RMR. I know some people think that’s an advantage but I guess it’s what you get used to.

Maybe having the dot cowitness with regular height sights makes transitioning easier for a new RDS shooter but it does mean if you want to run a suppressor the SCS sits too low to see over it.

Now I have to get to the range and see what it’s like where it matters.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    To update this thread, I’ve only been to the range a couple of times with the SCS and in reality, I guess I don’t have enough time with dots on pistols to really see much of a difference between this and the RMR.

I ended up selling RMR and Trijicon night sights when I put the SCS on my Glock 19.5 MOS. Now I wish I had at least kept the RMR because there are other things I would’ve put it on in the meantime. Plus, I put the crappy polymer stock sights back on along with the SCS and I haven’t replaced them with real (night) sights yet.

The other day when the wife and kids were gone for a while, I pulled the Glock SCS out of dark storage where it had been for probably three months without seeing the light of day and the SCS powered right up to full brightness, which is reassuring.

I also did some moving around the house in the dark with a weapon mounted light, shining it against various backdrops. I learned the auto brightness function on the SCS isn’t bright enough when the shining 800 Lumens against a white wall so I bumped the brightness up to max before putting it away. Just a few observations to share.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    To update this thread, I’ve only been to the range a couple of times with the SCS and in reality, I guess I don’t have enough time with dots on pistols to really see much of a difference between this and the RMR.

I ended up selling RMR and Trijicon night sights when I put the SCS on my Glock 19.5 MOS. Now I wish I had at least kept the RMR because there are other things I would’ve put it on in the meantime. Plus, I put the crappy polymer stock sights back on along with the SCS and I haven’t replaced them with real (night) sights yet.

The other day when the wife and kids were gone for a while, I pulled the Glock SCS out of dark storage where it had been for probably three months without seeing the light of day and the SCS powered right up to full brightness, which is reassuring.

I also did some moving around the house in the dark with a weapon mounted light, shining it against various backdrops. I learned the auto brightness function on the SCS isn’t bright enough when the shining 800 Lumens against a white wall so I bumped the brightness up to max before putting it away. Just a few observations to share.

Thanks for the update!

In case you didn't know, the reticle auto brightness override only lasts for 30 minutes. So you'll need to manually override it again the next time you'll be using your light.

My old Surefire X300 is only 500 lumens. I can still see the green center dot on white walls with the light on. The 32moa circle is mostly washed out in the light though.

The auto brightness override sure highlights a dirty lens. :rolleyes:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’m bumping this thread to see if anyone has any further long-term reports on the Holosun SCS. I upgraded my light to a Surefire X-300 Ultra and I definitely do need to keep the brightness turned up to be able to see the reticle when shining on a white wall.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm still happy with mine.

Got in a little range time a few weeks back. I'm not sure that the dot doesn't improve my older eyes shooting. I had decent results shooting the plate rack and Texas star.

I can confirm the ambient light dot/reticle wash out. Was just dry firing on a bottle cap that looked out a window today. Out the window from inside, the dot/reticle washed out. Still visible but a struggle to pick out, until it covered the "target." I think it's the nature of the beast. Probably should practice turning the override on and off, so I remember how. :ugh:

Top Bottom