Hodgdon HS 6 - What Is Your Experience With It?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I have been looking at Hodgdon HS 6 since it has been readily available.

Would like to hear from those who are using it and their thoughts on it.

I would most likely use it in .45 ACP, .45 Colt and lighter .357 Magnum loads.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I love it for 9mm. It fills the case to a good level where you couldn't double-charge if you tried, burns clean, and yields consistent results. I use a Hornady LNL and have had no problems with leakage, and it meters very consistently. It's my go-to 9mm powder, and I've loaded thousands of rounds with it.

I have tried it in other cartridges, like .38 special and .357 Mag, and been less impressed. It doesn't fill the larger cases as well, and I was dealing with a lot of unburnt powder and inconsistent results over the chronograph. Even with magnum primers it didn't want to play nice in those calibers.

IMO it's great for applications where it fills the case or comes very close. Anything that is going to leave a lot of air gap forget it.

Where is it readily available? I could use some...

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    We have had 1# and 8# of HS 6 on the shelf for months. We might sell out of one or the other for a day or 2 but we have a steady supply coming in. We still have around 3,000# of powder in stock and have a truck arriving this week with PALLETS of ammo, gunpowder, primers and other reloading supplies.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I love it for 9mm. It fills the case to a good level where you couldn't double-charge if you tried, burns clean, and yields consistent results. I use a Hornady LNL and have had no problems with leakage, and it meters very consistently. It's my go-to 9mm powder, and I've loaded thousands of rounds with it.

I have tried it in other cartridges, like .38 special and .357 Mag, and been less impressed. It doesn't fill the larger cases as well, and I was dealing with a lot of unburnt powder and inconsistent results over the chronograph. Even with magnum primers it didn't want to play nice in those calibers.

IMO it's great for applications where it fills the case or comes very close. Anything that is going to leave a lot of air gap forget it.

Powder Valley currently has one pounders in stock.

MidwayUSA had it for several days last week although it is gone today.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I really like it in 9mm. I've loaded a few thousands of rounds with it, and tried it with 7 different bullets so far. It seems to like being in the upper ranges of the load data, and into the +P. For me, it's metered well and been consistently accurate. When I started loading 9mm, my 'go to' powders became AA#7 and W231. These have both been replaced by H-6 and Titegroup.

I haven't noticed it being particularly 'dirty' in my loads, but I've heard that from others. The impression I get from others is that it burns much cleaner and more consistent at higher pressures, and many swear by magnum primers. HS-6 seems to have a strong following with competition shooters pushing the envelope well beyond the limits where I'm willing to go.

I have tried it in 45 ACP, and it worked, but I was not impressed and decided not to use it for this in the future. I'm planning to work up some .357 Mag. with it, when I can get motivated.

Disclaimer: A couple years ago, I walked into a LGS looking for powder. They keep powder in the back, so to avoid multiple 'do you have this' trips, I wrote a list of what I was interested in, in order (HS-6 was 3 or 4 down), and said "start at the top, and I'll take 2x 8# jugs." The guy came back with 2 8# jugs of HS-6 and said they were out of my other choices. What the heck, I took them both. Armed with 16# of the stuff, I REALLY wanted to like it! :)

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have a few, old, four pound cans of Winchester 540 (Now called HS-6, same powder)

I use it in 9mm and .38 Special with good results.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    John TAFFIN is a fan and that’s generally a good sign. I’ve used it in .45 Colt and .32/20 loads. I don’t recall the results in the .45, mainly because I’ve already got several ‘go to’ loads but it did well isn’t he .32/20.

Top Bottom