• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I know the Laplander has some serious cred in the survivalist circles. But the Laplander seems better with more aggressive teeth, and a more ergonomic handle. Both seem to fold down to similar size. (though the Laplander takes up a bit less bulk overall)

What do you think?

Amazon product ASIN B0001IX7OWAmazon product ASIN B002J900EQ

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I buy bow saws and blades. Cheap, light, cut fast, and could be sharpened if needed. As an experiment I cut a cord of firewood (a real cord, not a face cord) in a day with one. Of course, it was pieces 4’ long and less than 8” diameter. It took about 5 hours.

Bow saw blades can also be used to cut their own frame if necessary.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have had the Sven since 2009-ish. Took it on many Boundary Waters trips. Cuts fast, lightweight, highly storable.

It was a good purchase for me.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I buy bow saws and blades. Cheap, light, cut fast, and could be sharpened if needed. As an experiment I cut a cord of firewood (a real cord, not a face cord) in a day with one. Of course, it was pieces 4’ long and less than 8” diameter. It took about 5 hours.

Bow saw blades can also be used to cut their own frame if necessary.
    Either bow saw, Laplander, or Sven, I think here is where you must make a decision of what you intend to use the tool for. The Sven has the advantage over the Laplander in the size of tree limb you can reasonably cut. It would seem the Sven is better suited for cutting pieces for a structure, not just firewood.

Reactions: Mij

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    If you haven't considered it, the Silky F180 is a great saw that cuts way faster than the two mentioned. Impossible to sharpen, but great price.

Reactions: Jin

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Gotta go with a bow or curved blade saw that cuts on the pull stroke. And can be sharpened. < 24 in. But the purpose of the saw needs to be a deciding factor. Just clearing branches a good machete. If the Bahco cuts on the pull, and can be sharpened and the teeth set, it looks ideal. JMO

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have used many saws in applications from lightweight camping to forestry to public safety hazard removal. If one is dedicated to human power, the following are my ranked choices.

Agawa Canyon Boreal 21 or 24.

Silky Big Boy

Silky Gom Boy

The Agawa is by far the most durable. The only reason I still carry a Silky on some excursions is that there is no depth of cut limitation.

Reactions: Jin

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have owned many Bahco Laplanders. They are a solid saw and for the more probably the best deal out there. I keep a saw in both vehicles and at home.

When I got my first silky folding saw 240mm with curve I thought I was holding a light saber compared to my bahco's. All are still good, but the silky hands down will cut wood faster.

I've also got a version of this folding bow saw that I'm very happy with. It's even better than a silky.

Hands down, my favorite go-to combination for getting some wood work done on my property is my 26" axe, and that folding bow in one of these: https://www.campcraftoutdoors.com/product-page/axe-saw-sling-bag
    I've kept that combo under the backseat of whatever vehicle I'm driving for years and it's so nice to just throw that over a shoulder and go fix whatever needs fixing.

Top Bottom