• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Full thanks to @jagee that ordered this and allowed me to do a review.

I've seen a lot over the years - suppressed this, newly invented that. Thirty five years collecting guns, fifteen years in the resale market and there's new stuff, better designs, better materials, but not a lot of change in design. K-baffle or Monocore. Forged or billet. All bigger and better than the last thing, but really, it's mostly just the same old smoke made out of new metal. But... every once in a while there's something that gives me real pause to think... "that IS new." Enter the HM Defense 300 Blackout Integrally Suppressed upper.

Yes, it's just an upper. But it's a damn cool upper. Read below to see why it's different.

First, it comes in a nice box. That might not seem like much but packaging is how a product sells on a shelf, and this packaging is nice. Sturdy box, good colors, well thought out design, and that's before you even open it. Good start.

Then you get to the meat and potatoes. This upper is sleek, like batgirl greased-up on a dark night sleek. It's just the right amount of weight without being heavy for heavy's sake. It's shorter than you'd expect, but not so short it feels like an SBR. It really has the perfect ratio of length, width and weight... Ok, now I sound like Brandon Herrera.

Little details like a wide charging handle are well thought out.

But the real gem of this upper is that the barrel, suppressor and gas block are all milled out of the same piece of steel. YES! One piece of steel. No mis-alignment of the gas block, no suppressor unthreading and coming loose, nothing. This is a modern marvel of CNC machining. Oh, it gets better. The gas block - instead of being adjustable - comes with a set of bleed off screws that interchange for super and subs, and can be done through the hand guard, so there's no removing the hand guard to adjust the block. Mind... blown. Don't steal the design though, they patented it.

Patriotic ejection port marking mandatory.

Then comes the suppressor. It's not your usual "under the hand guard" design. It's more pronounced, but it looks good. Classy, not just slapped on for aesthetics. It's wide but not unwieldy, and it looks right at home with the good design of the hand guard. It really crowns the end of this upper, almost like an MP5SD can - smooth but don't talk smack to it.

I am EXCITED to hear this can.

Clay from HM Defense doesn't mess around with his products. They're 95% military and law enforcement sales. Special Ops, Entry stuff, all the keywords gun guys like to hear when they're buying products. Tested products. On top of that, HM is a great company to work with. They pick up the phone and they talk about their uppers with pride.

I'm happy to have this upper, and I'm ready to get it in Josh's hands for some testing. If anyone else wants one, shoot me a PM and I'll get one for you too.

Seriously, this is some cool stuff.

Last edited:

Sheepdog103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2019
    Fishers

I've seen a lot over the years - suppressed this, newly invented that. Thirty five years collecting guns, fifteen years in the resale market and there's new stuff, better designs, better materials, but not a lot of change in design. K-baffle or Monocore. Forged or billet. All bigger and better than the last thing, but really, it's mostly just the same old smoke made out of new metal. But... every once in a while there's something that gives me real pause to think... "that IS new." Enter the HM Defense 300 Blackout Integrally Suppressed upper.

Yes, it's just an upper. But it's a damn cool upper. Read below to see why it's different.

First, it comes in a nice box. That might not seem like much but packaging is how a product sells on a shelf, and this packaging is nice. Sturdy box, good colors, well thought out design, and that's before you even open it. Good start.

Then you get to the meat and potatoes. This upper is sleek, like batgirl greased-up on a dark night sleek. It's just the right amount of weight without being heavy for heavy's sake. It's shorter than you'd expect, but not so short it feels like an SBR. It really has the perfect ratio of length, width and weight... Ok, now I sound like Brandon Herrera.

But the real gem of this upper is that the barrel, suppressor and gas block are all milled out of the same piece of steel. YES! One piece of steel. No mis-alignment of the gas block, no suppressor unthreading and coming loose, nothing. This is a modern marvel of CNC machining. Oh, it gets better. The gas block - instead of being adjustable - comes with a set of bleed off screws that interchange for super and subs, and can be done through the hand guard, so there's no removing the hand guard to adjust the block. Mind... blown. Don't steal the design though, they patented it.

Then comes the suppressor. It's not your usual "under the hand guard" design. It's more pronounced, but it looks good. Classy, not just slapped on for aesthetics. It's wide but not unwieldy, and it looks right at home with the good design of the hand guard. It really crowns the end of this upper, almost like an MP5SD can - smooth but don't talk smack to it.

Clay from HM Defense doesn't mess around with his products. They're 95% military and law enforcement sales. Special Ops, Entry stuff, all the keywords gun guys like to hear when they're buying products. Tested products. On top of that, HM is a great company to work with. They pick up the phone and they talk about their uppers with pride.

I'm happy to have this upper, and I'm ready to get it in Josh's hands for some testing. If anyone else wants one, shoot me a PM and I'll get one for you too.

Can the end cap be removed / reattached for cleaning every couple thousand rounds or how did they do that process? Thank you for the review!

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    @Sheepdog103 & @Dog1 -

The owner of the company wrote me back at 8pm on a Sunday night, on a holiday weekend. That’s good customer service. His response:

Hi Andrew,

The StealthMS5 and MS3 suppressors are serviceable. I suggest not cleaning them.

Our baffle stack is close tolerance. If you’re running a lot of subs and want to clear any particulates I suggest running some supers.

In our manual we state IT’s maintenance free serviceable.

The cap is threaded and we applied loctite when assembled.

If you plan on taking it apart call me to discuss fixtures. Otherwise we will take care of any issues.

Have a great holiday .

Regards
    Clay

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    @Sheepdog103 & @Dog1 -

The owner of the company wrote me back at 8pm on a Sunday night, on a holiday weekend. That’s good customer service. His response:

Hi Andrew,

The StealthMS5 and MS3 suppressors are serviceable. I suggest not cleaning them.

Our baffle stack is close tolerance. If you’re running a lot of subs and want to clear any particulates I suggest running some supers.

In our manual we state IT’s maintenance free serviceable.

The cap is threaded and we applied loctite when assembled.

If you plan on taking it apart call me to discuss fixtures. Otherwise we will take care of any issues.

Have a great holiday .

Regards
    Clay

That is great customer service! Thank you for finding out the answer. That is definitely something that would make a really great addition to a 300 Blackout carbine. Especially the ability to quickly swap out gas plugs for super or subsonic use.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis

Thanks for the in-depth review with lots of pics! Your pics actually make this look better than the manufacturer’s site does!

This is so cool… I’m going to have to get one. A suppressed, non-SBR SBR where you clean it by shooting it?! Wow.

I missed this back in March, but am really glad for the recent bumps to bring it to my attention! Now I just have to figure out which gun I need to sell…

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Quick question about this.
    When shooting subsonic rounds, can they be coated lead? The cost $ of lead versus jacketed is substantial.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I got to shoot this at @Aszerigan ‘s range today and it was a lot of fun! I swapped out the gas screw and shot only subsonic ammo through it. I had an H2 buffer in my lower and only 3 of the 6 types of ammo cycled reliably. The ones that did were on the higher powered end of the spectrum (1050-1075 fps). There was a little variance in how loud each type of ammo was, but it was never uncomfortable to my ears without ear protection. I didn’t have a decibel meter with me, but it seemed maybe somewhere between my air rifle and my electric nail gun from a noise level standpoint.

I will say that the ammo @Aszerigan made up for me to test out was right there with the Underwood and Remington ammo… not a single misfeed from any of them. I also noticed that I could have put a 5 gallon bucket in one certain spot and caught all of his brass with it. I recommend it and will be placing an order for a big batch of it when the upper gets out of jail!

Anyway, I really like the upper and am glad that I bought it. Definitely recommend it to anyone who’s thinking about it!

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Why the H2 if shooting subs? Curious if you packed a standard carbine buffer or an H1 buffer to make a quick field swap? (Not trying to throw stones: I don't yet keep a spare set of buffers and springs in my kit)

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Why the H2 if shooting subs? Curious if you packed a standard carbine buffer or an H1 buffer to make a quick field swap? (Not trying to throw stones: I don't yet keep a spare set of buffers and springs in my kit)
    It was just what I had in the lower, as I use it with various calibers/uppers. I had a captured H2 in it and wanted to hear how it ran suppressed. I could have swapped, but decided I would rather just use the ammo that cycles reliably than to switch the buffer at that point. It was just a personal preference at the time though, legitimate question to ask!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Well, I finally made time to go down and shoot this thing. I'm SO glad I did! I am a very happy customer.

Slapped it on an INGO lower from a @churchmouse gun and put an optic on it. Sighted in at 35yds and was in the 10 ring after just a few turns.

Moved over to the 70 (I think?) yard range and beat up the steel pretty good. At one point, @Aszerigan mentioned the half can of spray paint down range...that got blowed up and the brass landed right in the bucket. That was a 2fer.

This is an awesome upper and again, I'm a very happy customer. Thanks for the hospitality!

Only snapped 2 pics, but here they are...

1000002076.jpg

1000002077.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom