• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Northeast Indy
    I happened to pick up a pair of boots from Beretta a few years back during a closeout... Ends up these boots are Crispi... made in Italy and the finest boots I own... I have hiked, hunted and even spent 10 days in the Boundary Waters with them over the past few years and have absolutely ZERO complaints... well, other than cost!
    They have a lot of styles for various uses but here's the link to my boots... Oasi Rugged GTX®

SlugRetention

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Wells Co.
    Thanks!! :ingo:
    Looks like I need to make a road trip to Indy to REI to try on some 'GOOD' boots.
    While I am in Indy. I can snag some SunKing Beer..win-win for me :rockwoot:
    Again, everybody's input is appreciated. :yesway:

Krogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I wear Keens everyday. Been through Merrell, Red Wings, Hytest, Doc Martin, Danner, Wolverine, Rocky and Chippewa. None of them fit properly or comfortably. I picked up a pair of Keen steel toed hikers for work. It's the first safety shoe that doesn't bite my toes. Remarkably comfortable, I can walk or stand all day without any barking at the end and when they say waterproof, they mean it. I spent some time just yesterday cleaning out the drain in the driveway standing in 5 inches of water, not one bit of moisture made it in! They fit so well I swear they have my foot as a model!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Best hiking boots I've ever owned are a pair of Scarpa Eduardos. A bit "old skool" and a bit expensive, but they are bulletproof. They've got a stiff enough shank and toe box that you can even use crampons with them, if need be. I've heard good things about Vasque, Asolo and Merrell too, but Scarpa is what I've stuck with for both hiking and alpine boots and they've done well for me.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Osolo, Solomon, good boots for the money, there are some italian boots that are very good. If you are just hiking and and or packing you don't need a steel toe. Good hiking boots are going to have a good toebox that will protect you. Then again asking about a good pair of hiking boots you will get a lot of answers and opinions. Momma always said opinions are like something else that everyone has, it's just that some stink more than others.

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    advise go to a "bootery" and get fitted for boots.

as far as comfort go, I recommend the red wing comfort force. I get 3-4 yrs of DAILY wear out of them, and i'm not the easiest on boots at all. they have a one year wear guarantee on the sole (with free replacement, keep receipt).

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Merrells for me. I have 4 pairs of them, and they have never let me down with hundreds of miles on the trail. Whatever you buy make sure there broken in before your hike or you will be one very unhappy camper !!

GBN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Brown County
    I own a pair of the Under Armor Valsetz Trail Boots. They're not exactly hiking boots per se, but they're one of the most comfortable and lightest pair of boots I've worn. The tread is pretty aggressive, and they provide good ankle support. I picked them up from Botach Tactical for around $100.

Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    Thanks!! :ingo:
    Looks like I need to make a road trip to Indy to REI to try on some 'GOOD' boots.
    While I am in Indy. I can snag some SunKing Beer..win-win for me :rockwoot:
    Again, everybody's input is appreciated. :yesway:

To get a more specific review of actual models of brands instead of just "Merrils are good or Asolo are good" go to zappos.com It is really a great shoe site that has real customer write ups on almost every model. Zappos usually has pretty good prices and always has free shipping and more importantly Free RETURN shipping as well if you don't like them. I have bought a couple different sizes of the same shoes to see what fit better and then returned the other for free.

SlugRetention

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Wells Co.
    As I was researching all these suggestions on here (THANKS!), I got to thinking about when SHTF. Is it worth buying a pair of boots then after a month, 6 months or a year later, after you decide if you really like the pair that you just bought. Is it worth getting another pair? To keep new or wear occasionally?
    I am just thinking that if I am stocking up on everything else, it seems to me that these are pretty important too... :popcorn:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Day hikes - Keen's that I put different insole inserts into to accommodate my higher arch and provide some more shock absorption. They have Keen's H20 barrier and my feet have always stayed dry. I actually rabbit hunted in snow this year, and even though the boots and my pants were frozen solid, my feet were dry after an 8 hour walk.

Multi-day hikes - Rocky Silent Stalkers that are super comfortable, but are finally starting to give up the ghost after a few years. They have a gore-tex liner and I've always had dry feet. Last year's multi day trip with my son for his birthday was probably the wettest trip yet and I was glad to have the gore-tex. Some trails had ankle deep water flowing and I was dry.

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    For me it depends greatly on what I'm doing. I've found regular tennis shoes to be the most effective on the trail (for me). Now if it were a matter of SHTF or really cold temps (less than 40 while wet or less than freezing) I have a pair of Belleville boots that I keep in my car.

Now, socks... that's an entirely different argument.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Italian made Vasque are the best IMHO. I have a pair I bought in 1995. Been nearly around the world with them, days in rain and slop and they never leaked and just last spring I wore them on a back-country fishing trip where it rained 4" and my feet were bone dry - all after 17 years of use. I liked them so much I bought a second pair around 1998 just to have when the first wore out. That second pair is still in the box. They are Vasque Sundowner model. Outstanding in every sense.

However, the most important thing is fit.

purd002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I have a pair of Ecco Kolyma boots with a year on them and they are holding up great, they get worn 2-3 times/week year round and are by far the most comfortable boots i've ever owned. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair when these are worn out.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Best pair of hiking boot that I ever owned were Chippewa's. Leather upper with thinsilate, and solid vibram sole. Lasted over ten years of hiking trails, fishing, squirel and rabit hunting. Wore them for 4 years through out the winter for college, in MI. Finally just wore out the leather upper.
    Heavy boots but protected the foot and held up wonderfully.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I've been wearing Hi-tech Altitude 4's for years now. They are the best long lasting boots I've had. They are comfortable, not expensive, and waterproof.

I've worn them backcountry camping in all 4 seasons and they've never let me down.

Top Bottom