• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I received the 4 3/4 length for Christmas. Plenty accurate for raccoons and opossums.
    Ask me how I know. :D

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I have both. The 6.5 has a red dot, the 4.75 is factory stock.
    My wife told me the 6.5 better balanced. I like both.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You almost certainly won't be using this for concealed carry, so it's a no-brainer to go with the longer barrel for the already cited reasons.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I went with the shorter barrel because I thought younger hands would be able to hold it easier. Figured it was a perfect pistol for training my kids on handguns.

If it hadn't been for that one thing, I probably would have gone with the longer barrel.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have the shorter barrel on mine and while it's plenty accurate as is, I think I'd go long if I had to buy it again. It's hard to find a downside to the longer barreled gun if you are not concealing it.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have the 4-3/4 barrel and my sons love it. It's very accurate. One of my boys chose to use it last year in the 4-H Shoot competition. He shot 5 out of 6 dum dums suckers with it at approximately 7 to 10 yards at the shoot.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Recently got one of these Rough Rider 22lr revolvers.

Open question: if I remove the cylinder from the gun, can I dry-fire it without damaging anything? The reason I ask is the owners manual says dry-firing will harm the gun because the firing pin will strike the cylinder and damage it, so if I remove the cylinder am I good to dry-fire?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Open question: if I remove the cylinder from the gun, can I dry-fire it without damaging anything? The reason I ask is the owners manual says dry-firing will harm the gun because the firing pin will strike the cylinder and damage it, so if I remove the cylinder am I good to dry-fire?
    Not sure about the Rough Rider but I have a Barretta Stampede and they supplied a plastic disc to insert between the cylinder and frame for dry firing. I would expect that you can fabricate something similar to keep the hammer from doing any damage.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington

I think if the safety lever is blocking the hammer then dry firing wouldn't damage anything, but I could be complete wrong.

I vote for the longer one, I bought it. Sight radius and all that, I went with the 6.5 because I thought it looked better. I didn't like the way it looked with the ejector rod being so close to the end of the barrel for the 4.75.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think if the safety lever is blocking the hammer then dry firing wouldn't damage anything, but I could be complete wrong.
    I believe the safety bar only blocks the hammer if the trigger is not being actively pulled. So, it would do little to protect during dry firing...but I could be completely wrong. ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I believe the safety bar only blocks the hammer if the trigger is not being actively pulled. So, it would do little to protect during dry firing...but I could be completely wrong. ;)

On mine, the safety bar is a simple block that is not connected to the trigger. It just blocks the hammer and I’ve dry fired some with the safety block engaged but never did it much because I’m not sure that it’s good for the gun to continually hammer that block. It might be but I’m guessing if it were, the manual would say to not dry fire without the safety engaged.

All in all, they are fun guns given the price point. They really shine when shooting cans instead of paper

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought the combo 22lr/22mag 6.5" barrel $89 before taxes iirc that was 1992. I trained all my children and 3 of my grandchildren using that revolver starting out with handguns. Now it sits idle in the safe waiting for my 4th to become of age to start training.

Top Bottom