• HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Who's arguing otherwise?
    Many people that I have seen.

From a civil perspective, this case is a done deal. The only issue is how much.

From a criminal perspective, in Minnesota, this looks like 3d degree murder (no intent to kill). I don't see a greater charge.

That this guy may have been a felonious mope only gives context to why there was an interaction. Because it is, essentially, admitted that lethal force was not needed, there is no real self-defense claim that can defeat the 3rd degree charge.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Doesn't that entirely depend on the state? Pretty sure that in some states a taser is regarded as lethal.
    There is "lethal" as defined for use in statutes, and "lethal" as it is used in a self-defense claim. Look at it this way- when a person says "I didn't mean to shoot him" (or some such) whether or not a Tazer is involved, it makes it pretty hard to go back later and say: "I killed him in self-defense" because you have already admitted that you don't believe you needed to kill him.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    There is "lethal" as defined for use in statutes, and "lethal" as it is used in a self-defense claim. Look at it this way- when a person says "I didn't mean to shoot him" (or some such) whether or not a Tazer is involved, it makes it pretty hard to go back later and say: "I killed him in self-defense" because you have already admitted that you don't believe you needed to kill him.

Fair enough, my only point was, if it was one of the states that classified a taser as lethal force, then I believe the case might be moot. Lethal force is lethal force.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Many people that I have seen.

From a civil perspective, this case is a done deal. The only issue is how much.

From a criminal perspective, in Minnesota, this looks like 3d degree murder (no intent to kill). I don't see a greater charge.

That this guy may have been a felonious mope only gives context to why there was an interaction. Because it is, essentially, admitted that lethal force was not needed, there is no real self-defense claim that can defeat the 3rd degree charge.
    My take on it is that the only way she skates is if she is on a plane to a non-extradition country right now

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Something to think about...

...when you admit that you meant to use non-lethal, that's an admission that lethal was not necessary.
    Could the admission also mean that lethal force was not intended?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Essentially they’re saying because there’s was a warrant for his arrest, that his failure to comply is the ultimate reason he is dead; as if that is a justification for the bad actions on the officer’s part. I don’t believe that people who hold this notion have thought their option through all that thoroughly.
    No, not saying there is any justification for the officer’s negligence at all. If any one of the sequence of steps did not happen then the final outcome would not have happened. There were several opportunities to change the trajectory of this event. He had a warrant for a violent crime and chose to try to evade the police on top of that. On him. Officer not in control of her situation. On her.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Essentially they’re saying because there’s was a warrant for his arrest, that his failure to comply is the ultimate reason he is dead; as if that is a justification for the bad actions on the officer’s part. I don’t believe that people who hold this notion have thought their option through all that thoroughly.
    That’s why took the “w” questions out as far as the information given. If only he’d have remembered to update his license tags, he’d still be alive. Therefore, Root cause: forgetfulness.

Asking the right questions to arrive at a root cause does not require questions that start with the 5 w’s. It just requires asking the right questions.

Here’s one that was missed. Would attempting to get back in the car have resulted in his death from the officer’s glock if she’d have grabbed the correct tool?

And then there’s the whole thing about root cause altogether. It does not imply that there are no other causes in which responsibility obvious. I think that officer is in a lot of trouble.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I would say so… She’s now a former officer, has been charged with second-degree manslaughter, and they’ve put barriers around her home.

...and she just got out of jail on $100,000 bail.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    The abject dishonesty and race-baiting of anyone (like Crump) who asserts that Potter shot Wright intentionally is nothing short of spectacular. Do they think she forgot about the body cameras or didn’t care? Do they think the department would cover for her? Do they think she wanted to be jailed? Charged with a crime? Pay $100,000 beil? Not be able to return to her home? Lose her career? All of this not to mention the emotional anguish and distress she must be going through right now… What do they think? I know what I think. It’s tragic. It shouldn’t have happened. It was clearly an accident. So I think they’re intellectually dishonest ****-stirrers with an agenda.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That’s why took the “w” questions out as far as the information given. If only he’d have remembered to update his license tags, he’d still be alive. Therefore, Root cause: forgetfulness.

Asking the right questions to arrive at a root cause does not require questions that start with the 5 w’s. It just requires asking the right questions.

Here’s one that was missed. Would attempting to get back in the car have resulted in his death from the officer’s glock if she’d have grabbed the correct tool?

And then there’s the whole thing about root cause altogether. It does not imply that there are no other causes in which responsibility obvious. I think that officer is in a lot of trouble.
    The “taser” announcement cooked her goose. If she hadn’t said that, she had an argument.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The abject dishonesty and race-baiting of anyone (like Crump) who asserts that Potter shot Wright intentionally is nothing short of spectacular. Do they think she forgot about the body cameras or didn’t care? Do they think the department would cover for her? Do they think she wanted to be jailed? Charged with a crime? Pay $100,000 beil? Not be able to return to her home? Lose her career? What do they think? I know what I think. I think they’re intellectually dishonest troublemakers with an agenda.

I think the video shows the honest reaction. She was obviously surprised that she heard a bang instead of a taser. He’s just trying to stir **** up more than it is already.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I think the video shows the honest reaction. She was obviously surprised that she heard a bang instead of a taser. He’s just trying to stir **** up more than it is already.
    Wow, I added to my post while you were quoting me and we ended up using some of the same language.

Top Bottom