• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That was your mulligan you know.

Man we are all really pissed but stop making work for me damnit.
    Can’t words simply be added to a list of words that get starred out? I noticed yesterday that the “b” word wasn’t starred out in one of my posts. I edited the post. But months into this forum software and we still have to do this? Surely it doesn’t require code changes to add a word to the naughty list.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Shouldn't but I'm not taking any cash bets. I woukd point out yhat if this flies, then there is no reason why a block of steel, aluminum, or polymer cannot be classified as a firearm.
    A hunk of mostly plastic, otherwise known as a bumpstock, IS a machine gun even though it does not have the parts even to be classified as a firearm under the current definition. Until a court throws that out, the ATF has the power to redefine anything in the firearms laws.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I thought that the constitution limits the federal government to controlling commerce between the states, not within. So if a company makes firearms and sells them everywhere it can be controlled but if an individual makes it for himself without selling it out of state, the feds shouldnt have anything do say on the matter.
    They get around that by saying that the steel "traveled in interstate commerce" to arrive in your hands. Or failing that, they say thatyou buying it locally "impacts interstate commerce" because you didn't have to ship it from elsewhere.

They also seem to like that if you communicated on the internet to make the deal happen, communication is regulated by the FCC, so even if you communicated in-state, the medium you used (internet) is an interstate platform, and thus, they still have a hand in the pie.

To add a bit to BoR's post, look up the case Wickard v Filburn. An Ohio farmer grew wheat in excess of what he was allowed to, he was charged with violating that law (price protection act or something like that). His defense was that he grew the excess strictly for his own use and none was sold. Long story short SCOTUS held that by growing his own wheat he didn't have to buy it, and even if he would have bought it locally, wheat travels in interstate commerce, and thus growing it for his own use effected interstate commerce.

He can, but then the have to reclassify what a firearm is and that's going to be a monster can of worms. If it gets much less than an 80%, then an iron pipe is a firearm and Home Depot and Lowes are the biggest arms dealers in the world.

Gonna be fun to watch this play out.

But 80%s aren't firearms. Are we going to serialize black iron pipe too? Hummm...
    Why is 80% the magic number? Is a 81% receiver a firearm? Because BATFECEs said so. All they have to do is say well 50% is the new cut off number. Same as with bumpstocks, they weren't machine guns until they were.

And I think we may have a slightly different idea of fun. From this I'd have to wager a guess that yours also includes stiletto heels and certain sensitive parts of the male anatomy.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    They get around that by saying that the steel "traveled in interstate commerce" to arrive in your hands. Or failing that, they say thatyou buying it locally "impacts interstate commerce" because you didn't have to ship it from elsewhere.

They also seem to like that if you communicated on the internet to make the deal happen, communication is regulated by the FCC, so even if you communicated in-state, the medium you used (internet) is an interstate platform, and thus, they still have a hand in the pie.
    The feds have always been fast and loose with the commerce clause.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Can’t words simply be added to a list of words that get starred out? I noticed yesterday that the “b” word wasn’t starred out in one of my posts. I edited the post. But months into this forum software and we still have to do this? Surely it doesn’t require code changes to add a word to the naughty list.
    Apparently the B-Word is OK fellas.
    And the combo words that trick the filter are out there on a list. Not my dept. but I know Tex is up to his Kiester in work with all the other forums right now.
    Some of these I just blow off no harm no foul but if you catch one just edit it OK....:dunno: especially when in that string of *7&$/:#$#$# one slips in "OK"

You can not call someone a D*** head in open forum as that is a mans name and the filter will not displace it. Thats up to us as civil adults to catch. There are ways.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Why couldn’t the POTUS just tell the ATF to say it’s a firearm, just like they did when they declared that bumpstocks are machine guns? So far the ATF has gotten away with that.

Maybe he will? Then it goes to court. We'll find out soon enough.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Apparently the B-Word is OK fellas.
    And the combo words that trick the filter are out there on a list. Not my dept. but I know Tex is up to his Kiester in work with all the other forums right now.
    Some of these I just blow off no harm no foul but if you catch one just edit it OK....:dunno: especially when in that string of *7&$/:#$#$# one slips in "OK"

You can not call someone a D*** head in open forum as that is a mans name and the filter will not displace it. Thats up to us as civil adults to catch. There are ways.
    Using your example of how Dick can be a mans name (how I'm using it) or an insult (how I'm not) kinda works with why I was thinking the B-word wasn't filtered. As an example I have a lab mix bitch, proper use to refer to my canine's sex and not an insult compared to Kamala Harris is a B-word. Well in her case it may be both. I can think up many other words that depending on how they are used would be perfectly alright or would probably get someone a ban and wouldn't surprise me if it was a permanent one depending.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Because the two seem to be confused in this thread...and this is going to help Kut's case in this scenario...

It looks to me like some folks here need to learn the difference between executive actions vs executive orders. Obama issued 23 Executive Actions on guns, none of which meant more than the paper I wipe my butt with... The White House keeps saying Executive Actions, not orders. They are telling you that what they are doing is a nothing-burger. He can make whatever wish list he wants, it has no legal power.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm just looking at what they are actually saying...
    Either way, it's still an infringement. They guy is still a diehard gun-grabber that some gun owners voted for. A good chance there will be no repercussions and it won't get overturned if it's not "legal".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Either way, it's still an infringement. They guy is still a diehard gun-grabber that some gun owners voted for. A good chance there will be no repercussions and it won't get overturned if it's not "legal".
    Given the alternative, I doubt those folks are even the slightest bit upset with their choice. We're not supporting Biden's gun control attempts, as well as some other things, but we still view him as the correct choice.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Using your example of how Dick can be a mans name (how I'm using it) or an insult (how I'm not) kinda works with why I was thinking the B-word wasn't filtered. As an example I have a lab mix bitch, proper use to refer to my canine's sex and not an insult compared to Kamala Harris is a B-word. Well in her case it may be both. I can think up many other words that depending on how they are used would be perfectly alright or would probably get someone a ban and wouldn't surprise me if it was a permanent one depending.
    Reminds me of an old George Carlin quote...

1617890468502.png

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bottom line, dont use dirty words, and if you are having to put special characters in the word so that it DOESNT filter, you deserve to have your pee-pee smacked for it. Its usually filtered for a reason. Usually. (glad they finally fixed saltwater... that was wrong for years and a stupid easy fix)

Purposefully going around the filters deserves at least a day in the corner to think about what they did.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Context my friend.
    all in the context.
    and we all know better but still want to see how far we can push things.
    in certain situations I cuss like a sailor. But those around me are as well.

time/place.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bottom line, dont use dirty words, and if you are having to put special characters in the word so that it DOESNT filter, you deserve to have your pee-pee smacked for it. Its usually filtered for a reason. Usually. (glad they finally fixed saltwater... that was wrong for years and a stupid easy fix)

Purposefully going around the filters deserves at least a day in the corner to think about what they did.
    Yeah but one has to want to fix things.
    we were barely afloat in those days.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I know for a while it was the rule to not use special characters or replace a couple of the letters with asterisks to get around the filter. IIRC a member or two got the ban for it. When it was first introduced I used to use special characters not to replace letters, but just to simulate swearing like in the old comics/cartoons like this %#&&^%$$^& I asked about it was told it would be a violation even doing that. It was also general guidelines to not lock threads, warn/infract/ban as needed and edit/remove posts if necessary but don't lock the thread.
    Context my friend.
    all in the context.
    and we all know better but still want to see how far we can push things.
    in certain situations I cuss like a sailor. But those around me are as well.

time/place.
    Yep, all in the context. Which is why I figured the b-word wasn't banned. While there are a few words that are "dirty" regardless of context that are on the filter, there are a lot more depending on context and possibly use in conjuctin with other words would be either just fine or banable.

And I'll admit I've pushed the line a time or two but I do try to avoid it. In part not to give you mods more work and in part so I don't push it too far. I used to swear a good bit, I've tried to tone it down a bit. But... A lot is location/time/company dependent.

Top Bottom