• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    In a local gun shop today perusing the current offerings when I spotted a Henry with what appeared to be a laminated stock.
    Curious, I picked it up to find it said "Garden Gun" Smooth bore .22 shotshell only

I have heard of Garden guns but never seen one in person.
    With the (un)availability of ammo these days I'm not sure who would want one but it was a cute little lever gun.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I always like using airguns for chipmunks and ground squirrels. If they are < 30 yards, I use a Beeman P1 air pistol (w/ red dot). Over 30 yards, I use my Beeman R-11 air rifle (w/ 18X scope).

One summer day I was plinking with my R-11 on my deck and I noticed some movement by my wood pile. I looked thru the scope and saw a chipmunk. I have some steel targets every 10 yards from my deck out to 90 yards, so I knew it was about 75 yards away. I aimed a few inches high and shot. Nailed that little b@$t@&d with the 1st shot. You can't have that kind of fun with a garden gun.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In a local gun shop today perusing the current offerings when I spotted a Henry with what appeared to be a laminated stock.
    Curious, I picked it up to find it said "Garden Gun" Smooth bore .22 shotshell only

I have heard of Garden guns but never seen one in person.
    With the (un)availability of ammo these days I'm not sure who would want one but it was a cute little lever gun.
    :postpics:

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I bought a Henry H001 at the Bedford walmart about a year ago. It had the smooth bore bbl, labeled as shotshell only. It was rollmarked as an H001, and had the walnut stock.
    Henry re-barreled it with the correct bbl in about a 2 week turnaround.
    I almost kept it becuse of it being so unique, but had no use/interest in it otherwise.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought a Henry H001 at the Bedford walmart about a year ago. It had the smooth bore bbl, labeled as shotshell only. It was rollmarked as an H001, and had the walnut stock.
    Henry re-barreled it with the correct bbl in about a 2 week turnaround.
    I almost kept it becuse of it being so unique, but had no use/interest in it otherwise.
    Did you get to keep the smooth bore barrel?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    While .22 shotshells are admittedly a very specialized round with a very specific application, there are times when that's exactly what you need. They can kill vermin without causing damage to surrounding structures, and there's no risk of sending a bullet 2 blocks over and hitting the neighbors house. I've tested the ones I have and they won't even penetrate 3/8" drywall. I've actually shot one inside before, and while I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, it did the job and didn't cause any damage to the wall other than cosmetic, and it took care of the problem. Do that with a .410 or even .38 snakeshot and you're going to be doing some significant patching if not structural repairs.

I don't have a garden gun...I use them out of a 3" J-Frame or a Single-Six. I live in an unincorporated area, but there are other houses around so while it's legal to shoot stuff, you do have to be very careful about bullet travel and over-penetration even with a .22. The shotshells solve that problem, and they kill little rodents stone dead without any drama.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You know what, i have a couple 22LR shotshells. I found them in a High Standard derringer a family member gave me. I did my usual okay check this damn thing to see it was loaded, and what the hell.. wait.. what hell are these. These are not like the CCI ones, they have a crimped brass end.

Also, CCI has them in stock, on their page.

How much and where was that Garden Gun?

Top Bottom