• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have a 20" Henry Frontier .22lr with a Simmons 3-9x mounted on the Weaver rail on top of the receiver, and it seems to suffer from wandering zero. Pretty much every time I take it out and shoot it, groups land in a different place. Most recent example is that I zeroed it in at 50 yards, put it in a rifle bag, took it out at an event four days later, and at 36 yards it was about 3-4 MOA high and right. The rifle itself is quite accurate and will shoot quarter-sized groups at 50 off a rest with CCI SV.

My suspicion is that the problem is in the mounting to the receiver. The dovetail isn't actually part of the reciever, it's part of a sheet metal cover that goes over the pot metal reciever frame and is attached with 4 screws on the sides. If you take it off to clean the gun, zero is completely lost, but I suspect it wanders and flexes even when screwed in place. This u-shaped cover "floats" on these four screws.

Anyone know if there are other ways to mount a scope on this platform that will retain zero better, or if I should just scrap the scope completely and put it on something more suitable for accuracy work? I've had a lot of frustrating misses on squirrels with this rifle and I think the wandering zero is the main reason.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I'm no expert but I have used a dab of fingernail polish as loc-tite on fine thread gun screws. I would suggest that plus torquing everything with an inch-pounds or gunsmithing wrench to verify nothing is moving.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    If you are taking that dust cover off after every time you shoot, I can see how your zero would shift. I have an optic one of my Henry rimfires, but I don't take the dust cover off when cleaning it and haven't lost zero on that rifle ever.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom