• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So, the Mrs and I are going to Chicago at the end of the month for a quick birthday getaway for her. (Don't try and talk me out of it...it's happening.) The problem is their new "fully vaccinated" mandate that went in to affect on Jan 3, 2022. I have had zero Covid shots, and plan to keep it that way. We won't even be able to get dinner the way I'm reading things.

I recently tested positive for the Rona and wonder if I could show that and say I had to wait to get vaxxed? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edit: add link
    I coach high school kids across the state line, stopped in Starbucks today in a Chicago suburb and had to present Vaccine proof to drink coffee.

My daughter lives in Chicago. There is a hot dog stand around the corner from her building. I have to show my VAX card to eat a hot dog there.

The whole state is crazy. It’s not just the city. But basically you will be eating in your hotel room or out on a park bench.

Will they even let you check into a hotel without a vaccination? Honestly I don’t know that answer. I’m VAX’d because of my age and risk factors, but I don’t believe in a VAX mandate. Before you drive to the city you should make sure you will be allowed to check into the hotel.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    mask drama at work?
    I guess I was lucky
    They wrote up a few guys for not wearing the masks in a shanty while unvaccinated. One of those guys got a 5 day for it because he had just gotten back from being out the gate for months because he got fired after calling off because he has a seizure and never disclosed to medical that he used to have them as a child. I still think he should have talked to a lawyer about that whole thing.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They wrote up a few guys for not wearing the masks in a shanty while unvaccinated. One of those guys got a 5 day for it because he had just gotten back from being out the gate for months because he got fired after calling off because he has a seizure and never disclosed to medical that he used to have them as a child. I still think he should have talked to a lawyer about that whole thing.
    well, most of maint in the Caster work by themselves, at least the shift guys.
    So, when one of the managers that everyone hates started to threaten everyone, he was called on his bluff. He'd have lost an entire department.

He's the same guy we're telling the managers why we're leaving.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    well, most of maint in the Caster work by themselves, at least the shift guys.
    So, when one of the managers that everyone hates started to threaten everyone, he was called on his bluff. He'd have lost an entire department.

He's the same guy we're telling the managers why we're leaving.
    MTM/Es over here do work relatively alone too, but they do have their shanties where they all congregate from time to time. I'm also production and things are quite different with that as well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    MTM/Es over here do work relatively alone too, but they do have their shanties where they all congregate from time to time. I'm also production and things are quite different with that as well.
    There is only 1 systems per turn. no one to congregate, unless it's day shift. then there's 2.
    There is only 1 millwright per turn. no one to congregate, unless it's day shift. Then there's maybe 2.
    Motor Inspectors still have 2 per turn. But they have 2 shanties. So..

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    There is only 1 systems per turn. no one to congregate, unless it's day shift. then there's 2.
    There is only 1 millwright per turn. no one to congregate, unless it's day shift. Then there's maybe 2.
    Motor Inspectors still have 2 per turn. But they have 2 shanties. So..
    Yep it's a bit different here(or rather North Sheet, I just posted out in Nov). The 5 Stand mill hybrid technician have a shanty sort of to themselves but it's shared with the laborers, and then the mill crew will congregate in there when they're down for whatever reason. It's also full of mtc guys on downturns. The electricians are kinda together and then the north sheet mtc gang has a common area shanty.

I'm at the HSM Slab yard now so the only mtc guys we really see are crane repair and as you know they're mobile.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Not true. What you have are chain restaurants with the name of restaurants in Chicago.

I would have to disagree. I've been to Giordano's in Greenwood & Indianapolis and Lou Malnati's in Indianapolis & in Carmel several times (driving 3 hours round trip just for pizza each time). And being a lifetime deep-dish pizza aficionado and living > 40 years in Chicagoland, I found all 4 locations (take-out) to be up to par. If you had a bad experience, you may want to try it again and see if it was a fluke. I just wish either would open a location in southern Indiana, to save me the 3 hour drive. (Still better than the 9 hour round-trip drive to Chicago.)

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Twas mine as well from 2005 until Covid.

In the early days I would take the Toll Road, especially when they had the Ryan under construction. As tolls went up, I started seriously comparing my trip times both ways. Leaving at 3PM, it took me 10-15 minutes longer avoiding the tolls, so I went to taking 94.
    Since covoid things have changed quite a bit. In the morning from 5 to 6 I get to work 15 minutes faster than pre unless the highway is closed due to a driveby. More driveby shooting closures since covoid than in 40 previous years combined driving chicago expressways. Afternoons and evenings 1 or 2 fender benders every day when there used to be maybe a couple a week.
    I used to love the city, now I think anyone who comes here who does not have to is nuts

p9208s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Seymour
    I've been forced to make several trips to Chicago, and always dreaded them. Guesstimating travel times throughout the area was horrible. Since I am now retired and no longer required to be there for anything, I'll never find myself there again. Be careful - it rains bullets there.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I would have to disagree. I've been to Giordano's in Greenwood & Indianapolis and Lou Malnati's in Indianapolis & in Carmel several times (driving 3 hours round trip just for pizza each time). And being a lifetime deep-dish pizza aficionado and living > 40 years in Chicagoland, I found all 4 locations (take-out) to be up to par. If you had a bad experience, you may want to try it again and see if it was a fluke. I just wish either would open a location in southern Indiana, to save me the 3 hour drive. (Still better than the 9 hour round-trip drive to Chicago.)
    Maybe there is more to it. It might be mental. We used to so enjoy going to Chicago, the food, the shopping, we loved so many places. BUT, one by one, they sprouted up in Indy, the food just isn’t as good as the food in the memories, we do not even shop those stores now, and on the other end the boutique shops were closing, the crime was worse, and city dirty.

It is very hard for a strip mall pizza to live up to the memories of weekends in Chicago…

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    IMO, there is better pizza in Chicago than both of those places.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    IMO, there is better pizza in Chicago than both of those places.

It's certainly a matter of opinion, and everyone's point of view is different. But both of these are usually ranked near the top of Chicagoland pizza chains. Both offer great, cheesy Chicago-style stuffed or deep dish full of cheese with the sauce on top. I only count places that have locations in the farther suburbs anyway, as I would never willingly set foot in / near the city of Chicago unless I absolutely had to.

CoachSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 23, 2020
    Fortville
    I was just there a week ago for a conference.

You have to show a vax card to be able to stay at any of the hotels or to eat in any of the restaurants. Very strict and they were turning people away at some of the restaurants we visited.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Maybe there is more to it. It might be mental. We used to so enjoy going to Chicago, the food, the shopping, we loved so many places. BUT, one by one, they sprouted up in Indy, the food just isn’t as good as the food in the memories, we do not even shop those stores now, and on the other end the boutique shops were closing, the crime was worse, and city dirty.

It is very hard for a strip mall pizza to live up to the memories of weekends in Chicago…
    I’ve never had a good memory of Chicago. It’s always been a ******** that you had to pass through to get to Wisconsin

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So, the Mrs and I are going to Chicago at the end of the month for a quick birthday getaway for her. (Don't try and talk me out of it...it's happening.) The problem is their new "fully vaccinated" mandate that went in to affect on Jan 3, 2022. I have had zero Covid shots, and plan to keep it that way. We won't even be able to get dinner the way I'm reading things.

I recently tested positive for the Rona and wonder if I could show that and say I had to wait to get vaxxed? Thoughts? Suggestions?

At least it is cold out so maybe some of the muggers, thieves, drive-by shooters, carjackers, murderers, rapists etc. will be off the streets and back under their warm rocks.

garni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2018
    New Albany

Good luck. That is leftist central. I can deal with a democratic (spelled the way I wanted), but those people are crazy.

Top Bottom