• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ryan homes developers of the finest plastic house money can be thrown at wants to change the farmland in my area to high density homes.

currectly the 123 acres of farmland is agricultural zoned. The want to change that to what I have been told is M3 (?) allowing 4-6 homes per acre. 450+ plastic houses

i understand change happens but flooding and area with 450+ apartments and homes without proper consideration of road ways drainage schools fire electrical water and police and the negative impact this may have on current property values needs addressed.

RYAN stuck up three zoning signs (one for each parcel of land to redone during the time when grass was high and right after the beans covered sight view of the sings from the main road. They made the meeting with the zoning board at Tuesday 8:45 am so nobody who works can show up.
    the board members include people with ties to them and one who Lives in zionsville but represents Madison county?

they want to push this though quick and if I can get some involvement on a change.org maybe I can get it pushed back until local residents have a chance to get spun up and save our selves from what is going to happen eventually.

We want good roads good schools and house that reflect the neighborhoo.

please help it will take a couple minutes online to make a difference for a neighborhood and fight against zoning which effects us.

https://www.change.org/p/rezoning-to-allow-320-houses-150-apartments

thank you in advance.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Ryan homes developers of the finest plastic house money can be thrown at wants to change the farmland in my area to high density homes.

currectly the 123 acres of farmland is agricultural zoned. The want to change that to what I have been told is M3 (?) allowing 4-6 homes per acre. 450+ plastic houses

i understand change happens but flooding and area with 450+ apartments and homes without proper consideration of road ways drainage schools fire electrical water and police and the negative impact this may have on current property values needs addressed.

RYAN stuck up three zoning signs (one for each parcel of land to redone during the time when grass was high and right after the beans covered sight view of the sings from the main road. They made the meeting with the zoning board at Tuesday 8:45 am so nobody who works can show up.
    the board members include people with ties to them and one who Lives in zionsville but represents Madison county?

they want to push this though quick and if I can get some involvement on a change.org maybe I can get it pushed back until local residents have a chance to get spun up and save our selves from what is going to happen eventually.

please help it will take a couple minutes online to make a difference for a neighborhood and fight against zoning which effects us.

thank you in advance.
    The only signatures that will matter to the zoning board are ones of people who live in your county. The only information that can be used in an appeal of the board's decision is info presented at this hearing. If you want to fight it, you need to attend and get as many others as possible to attend with you. Only parties with adjoining property have standing to appeal in court if it comes to that. Hiring a court reporter to attend and record the meeting is invaluable if it should come to a legal appeal.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The only signatures that will matter to the zoning board are ones of people who live in your county. The only information that can be used in an appeal of the board's decision is info presented at this hearing. If you want to fight it, you need to attend and get as many others as possible to attend with you. Only parties we adjoining property have standing to appeal in court if it comes to that. Hiring a court reporter to attend and record the meeting is invaluable if it should come to a legal appeal.
    Thank you
    We are working hard on this since they sprung it on us quickly to push it through. I was told the petitioner from the change.org can be Intrested parties and the petition locally that is signed on paper is voters of southwestern Madison county.
    Since the zoning commission is county wide all Madison county residents are effected because it sets a standard on housing going forward.

I did see zero notes or minutes when I looked up the last meeting they had. Everything else has been very hush hush.

Last edited:

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Is it also possible to video tape the meeting?

Roads, drains, water, sewer, increased traffic, etc. never enters into the thought process of local gov't. All they see is increase in the tax base.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A large venue sounds good. In my old neighborhood the county tried to build the horse racing track that eventually went to Shelbyville. The hearing was very large with people even outside and it was well organized by a local preacher. The crowd was unhappy though, not riotous, but enough that the local officials supporting the track lost control of the meeting. I remember the developer looking a little scared. End of story, the neighborhood won that contest, and I think that meeting decided it.

Best of luck.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

thank you in advance.
    If your area’s like Avon, the zoning board is a rubber stamp owned part and parcel by their developer buddies. The project will get green lighted regardless of any downsides brought up. Gotta keep the kickbacks coming in. Better luck to you than we’ve had fighting the vinyl villages…

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    Similiar issue up in my area. Unfortunately most elected officials think any housing development is the answer to all their problems. They get tunnel vision and fail to consider anything other than (potential) $. Best of luck your fight.

Brimaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    This happens more and more sad to say. A few years back I remember a local politician said that farmland is worthless and that subdivisions and strip malls are what make money. In the last year or so close to us farmland is now 300+ homes and a bunch more farmland is been bought and prepped for more homes. It all comes down to tax money to line pockets.
    Like what rhamersley posted most boards look at $$$ and almost ALWAYS approve variances and the like.
    When we had our outbuilding built had to send letters to all the land owners by us and go before the board to get approved and hear any land owners complaints but when the farmland next to us sold and someone decided to build a house never got a letter or notice or anything until they were digging the hole. It screwed up the water run off paths and now get standing water and get the joy of looking out the back windows to stare at a house that use to be open farmland.
    So unless someone on the board or town will be affected nothing will block or stop it as all about the $$$$.
    The only thing I ever saw stop a development or road is some endangered or threaten wildlife/plant and most of the time it was just temporary.

Good luck with the battle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah. Worthless land. Until you need gas for your car, plastics, bread on the table, meat on the table, etc.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

thank you in advance.

Do you know how to cut brake lines?

IMG_0786.JPG

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Kosciusko county

thank you in advance.
    I remember how massive zoning caused ellicott city in Maryland to flood twice in a few years.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

thank you in advance.
    You sure you don't live in Hamilton County?
    From what others have said, it seems like this is an issue that happens all over.

My experience- a developer wanted to change zoning fro R1 to R5(high density), 120 townhomes on 17 acres. I attended the zoning meeting, spoke my concerns, asked when the last time a traffic study had been done. I learned, from discussion between board members, a traffic study was done more than 20 years ago.

I also learned that the board had already given a favorable nod to the re-zoning, it was just a matter of having a formal vote. So having public comment was just a formality.

Unfortunately, in Hamilton county, the plan commission is comprised of appointed members. I think it would be better if the members were voted in.

Fortunately, the Hamilton county commissioners have the final say. If that is the way it works in Madison county, you might try to get the ear of one or more on the county commissioners.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Is it also possible to video tape the meeting?

Roads, drains, water, sewer, increased traffic, etc. never enters into the thought process of local gov't. All they see is increase in the tax base.
    You can legally video record the meeting. The board also is required to audio record the meeting and you should be able to purchase a copy of the recording. If it were to end up in an appeal in court, the court reporter transcript is much better for submitting as evidence to the judge. The judge can ready every single word and who said it. He doesn't have to try to determine who said what, etc.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Most of the planning matters were largely decided 20+ years ago in the counties master plan, they were just waiting for details of what developers would want to put there. What most of you think is farm ground is already under option for development in the doughnut counties.

The part I do not get is the OP assertion that it will negatively affect his values. Why would this change the OP’s values? If anything it will make it easier to get more from the OP’s land in my opinion…

Go look at your counties master plan to see the direction your local officials plan for your areas…

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I know hiring a court reporter isn't cheap, but it is worth every dime. We won an appeal in court and without the transcripts from the meetings, I doubt it would have happened.
    Sadly these are usually just a temporary stay, they will not make the same mistakes next time…

Been there done that. A big community response I was involved in stopped an apartment complex, they got it done 6 years later. If the land has development potential they developers will not stop…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I remember how massive zoning caused ellicott city in Maryland to flood twice in a few years.
    Well not so fast, lets also remember that The town is part of the Tiber-Hudson Watershed, a natural drainage area that has four tributaries flowing through its three-and-a-half-square-mile expanse, all of which eventually empty into the Patapsco River.

The last big floods downtown were caused by the massive amount of rainfall in a short amount of time that ran downhill verses filling up the bottom and the water rising.

It was a poor choice of land to build a town.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Kosciusko county
    Well not so fast, lets also remember that The town is part of the Tiber-Hudson Watershed, a natural drainage area that has four tributaries flowing through its three-and-a-half-square-mile expanse, all of which eventually empty into the Patapsco River.

The last big floods downtown were caused by the massive amount of rainfall in a short amount of time that ran downhill verses filling up the bottom and the water rising.

It was a poor choice of land to build a town.
    That definitely had a major factor too but the development made it even worse. The way it was zoned created a huge funnel which caused main st to flood very easily.

Top Bottom