• ...and so much more!
  • ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    As ChurchMouse told me there is no such thing as drop in parts for 1911's, and in my case I have no skill at fitting so it goes to my gunsmith. I miss CM. I learned a lot about 1911's from him. I should say I learned more than I did.
    I own 2 1911’s that were built or upgraded by the team of CM/Allen Moore. 3F62B86F-4A19-4B60-BE17-FFAC3D9F42C5.jpeg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Initial response from Armscor is that their accuracy standard is 4 inches at 15 yards. If I return the gun for service and when tested it meets their standard, then I will be responsible for the shipping and service expenses.

And I wonder...

With the right quality barrel, might that increase the accuracy a bit? I could hold tighter groups than that spec with my Kimber, and I dont recall those things being rated super high on fit/finish/accuracy.

I know barrel swaps can definitely improve accuracy in a rifle. Not so sure about pistols.
    Wow that is a pretty dismal accuracy standard at 15 yards with a 1911! My out of the box Springfield Range Officer is far and away better than 4" at 15 yards. My 1969 Walther PPK/S will do better than 4" at 15 yards.

I sent a Springfield Armory to Clark Custom Guns back in the late 1980s for one of their custom conversions , part of which included a 3" 10 shot 50 yard accuracy guarantee. The test target was well under that and was achieved with the stock barrel. So even a properly fitted stock barrel can be quite accurate.

In your case the barrel is clearly defective and should be replaced by the manufacturer.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Initial response from Armscor is that their accuracy standard is 4 inches at 15 yards. If I return the gun for service and when tested it meets their standard, then I will be responsible for the shipping and service expenses.

I did not previously have the option to supply pictures, so I have now sent pictures and insisted that I believe there is a manufacturing defect that needs to be corrected. We'll see what they have to say now.
    I'm pretty sure once they see that barrel they will replace it on their dime. RIA has good customer service.
    I had a problem with RIA Ultra FS 10mm I got for my birthday.
    The thumb safety would pop up with the slightest touch, and it did often with recoil. I contacted ChurchMouse about it. He said send it in because it was defective.
    They put a new thumb safety on it, returned it in 14 days that included shipping to Utah, and back to me.
    I told them I was reviewing their service on INGO, and they were happy about that.
    I'd be surprised if they didn't put a new barrel on it. It definitely looks like it's defective from the factory. I don't see how that could happen afterwards.

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    Armscor sent me a prepaid FedEx shipping label to return it to them for repair. I was worried I might have issues when I dropped it off, but the drop off place was busy and told me to just leave it on the counter since it was prepaid. Tracking number shows its on its way, so far so good! They told me to expect 4 to 6 weeks for repair.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Armscor sent me a prepaid FedEx shipping label to return it to them for repair. I was worried I might have issues when I dropped it off, but the drop off place was busy and told me to just leave it on the counter since it was prepaid. Tracking number shows its on its way, so far so good! They told me to expect 4 to 6 weeks for repair.
    Sounds all good except for the 4-6 week part, but it it is a fitted part. Hope you end up with a great gun in the long run.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That's a good start (prepaid shipping label). Now hopefully they make it right and do it quicker than 6 weeks. Keep us posted.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Great news! Hope the gun turns out to be a great shooter when they send it back. The Smith I mentioned in post #15 took exactly one month to get back . Not a 1911 but Smith put on a new barrel.

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    Update. I sent it in December 2, they got it December 6th. I hadn't heard anything from them for over 6 weeks, so I sent an email asking about it January 20. They said it was going to be replaced and I should expect an update soon. The next thing I got was a shipping notice from FedEx on 1/26. Received a different firearm on 1/30. The paperwork that came with it simply states confirmed customer complaint, replaced with serial number so and so.

I just got the chance to shoot it today, and the replacement is shooting point of aim with 1 to 2 inch groups @ 20 yards. I'm not sure if it's a new off the shelf replacement, or if they put something together from spare parts. The frame finish doesn't match the slide finish. I don't remember the one I returned being that way, but overall I am satisfied - this one shoots quite well!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Glad to hear they took care of you.

Seems a bit strange to require a complete replacement, but success can hide a multitude of sin.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Update. I sent it in December 2, they got it December 6th. I hadn't heard anything from them for over 6 weeks, so I sent an email asking about it January 20. They said it was going to be replaced and I should expect an update soon. The next thing I got was a shipping notice from FedEx on 1/26. Received a different firearm on 1/30. The paperwork that came with it simply states confirmed customer complaint, replaced with serial number so and so.

I just got the chance to shoot it today, and the replacement is shooting point of aim with 1 to 2 inch groups @ 20 yards. I'm not sure if it's a new off the shelf replacement, or if they put something together from spare parts. The frame finish doesn't match the slide finish. I don't remember the one I returned being that way, but overall I am satisfied - this one shoots quite well!
    I figured they would get you squared away.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI

Did they send replacement straight to you or to an ffl? You didn't mention that. You probably got a full replacement cause there was more wrong than initially thought.

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    Did they send replacement straight to you or to an ffl? You didn't mention that. You probably got a full replacement cause there was more wrong than initially thought.
    They sent it directly to me. That surprised me, I didn't think they could do that.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Maybe but more likely the man-hours to properly troubleshoot and repair it was more than the loss from just shipping you a new one and throwing it in the scrap bin and write it off.

Top Bottom