• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    I picked up a very lightly used Rock Island TAC ultra HC 45 acp 1911 back in February from my favorite localish gun shop. They didn’t know anything about the gun because it was purchased through an auction, but it was very tight and looked like new. The first time I shot it, using 230gr FMJ factory ammo, it was nearly off the paper high and right! After adjusting the rear sight as low and far left as it will go, the gun continues to shoot high, but nearly centered now. However, it’s throwing 4 to 6 inch groups at 20 yards off of sand bags! I’m a pretty good shot and can consistently shoot 1 to 2 inch groups with my other hand guns at the same range, so I know something is up with this gun.

I’ve heard that 1911’s need a break in period and since this one looked new, I hoped it would get better as I shot it more. I’ve now put about 500 rounds through it and if anything it’s getting less accurate. I’m very frustrated with this gun and feel like I’ve wasted 500 rounds of ammo for nothing now. I was hoping to use this gun to start getting into some IDPA competitions. I have filed a warranty claim with Rock Island, but while I wait to hear back from them thought I would get some opinions. Given the current political environment and woke shipping companies, I’m very concerned about trying to return this gun for warranty work.

I’m no expert with 1911’s, but I can’t find much that seems to be wrong with this gun. Right now I believe the barrel is suspect and depending on RIA’s response and the shipping and FFL costs, I may try to replace the barrel myself. It looks to me like the machining for the locking lugs on the barrel was pushed a bit too hard as you can actually see indentations on the inside of the barrel in those locations. That can’t be normal – correct?

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    Sorry, I forgot to post the picture of the barrel. My camera isn't too great, so this is about the best picture I could get. 20221123_141112.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Sorry, I forgot to post the picture of the barrel. My camera isn't too great, so this is about the best picture I could get.
    If your circle is what looks like a noticeable impression into the barrel then no it is not normal.

Can you feel that with a pick or anything? What does the outside lug area of the barrel and in the slide look like?

I would be contacting Rock Island if I was you.

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    Most 1911s will need a few hundred rounds to settle in, but you should not see any accuracy issues like you are describing. Most common break in issues are feed related. I’d be curious to know how the bushing and barrel lock up is as well as the barrel hood to slide. A look at the barrel crown as well

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Most 1911s will need a few hundred rounds to settle in, but you should not see any accuracy issues like you are describing. Most common break in issues are feed related. I’d be curious to know how the bushing and barrel lock up is as well as the barrel hood to slide. A look at the barrel crown as well
    I have some that are famous for needing a 500 round break in, I never noticed any change in accuracy though.

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    If your circle is what looks like a noticeable impression into the barrel then no it is not normal.

Can you feel that with a pick or anything? What does the outside lug area of the barrel and in the slide look like?

I would be contacting Rock Island if I was you.
    Yes, that is a noticeable impression inside the barrel. I can feel it with a pick. Here are some pictures of the lugs. 20221123_180526.jpg 20221123_180408.jpg

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    This gun is tight! No perceptible movement in the barrel/ bushing lockup or the barrel to slide. Barrel crown looks good to me. I really expected this to be an excellent shooter based on the great fit of everything.

I have a very worn old colt commander that is sloppy as can be and it will way outshoot this RIA!

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree, and I mentioned in my first post above that I have contacted RIA, but they have not yet responded. However, the warranty specifically says they will not cover the shipping costs. If that does turn out to be the case, I can probably replace the barrel myself for about the same cost as shipping each way and the likely transfer fee I'll have to pay to get my own gun back because the shipping companies will now only ship handguns to and from an FFL.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree, and I mentioned in my first post above that I have contacted RIA, but they have not yet responded. However, the warranty specifically says they will not cover the shipping costs. If that does turn out to be the case, I can probably replace the barrel myself for about the same cost as shipping each way and the likely transfer fee I'll have to pay to get my own gun back because the shipping companies will now only ship handguns to and from an FFL.
    Shipping cost is moot compared to getting your 1911 fixed if it's on their dime. Looks like a new barrel minimum, and that's going to take some fitting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If its truly just a barrel issue and they look at the barrel and note its screwed up, talk to them about just swapping a barrel. THAT you can ship using any carrier because that is simply "machine parts". Only the receiver is a firearm.

6 months ago they probably wouldnt have allowed just a parts swap. But given the recent changes in common carrier policies (you may have to remind them, highlighting it costs you more to ship via a FFL than to have a new barrel fitted) there is a chance they may swap parts if you let them know that you understand it will need to be properly fitted by a gunsmith and if he mucks it up they will not replace it. (again) It never hurts to ask. The worst they can do is say no.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I did miss that you have tried to contact RIA.

I would probably contact a gunsmith that can fit up a 1911 barrel. I would think it's more than just a barrel. I think the relationship between slide and barrel has to be off or the barrel is being driven to high on the breach end.
    Can you tell if the bulge lines up with the low side or high side of the barrel lugs?
    There are a couple of people on this forum who could do that, but I would think it would cost significantly more than the shipping.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I did miss that you have tried to contact RIA.

I would probably contact a gunsmith that can fit up a 1911 barrel. I would think it's more than just a barrel. I think the relationship between slide and barrel has to be off or the barrel is being driven to high on the breach end.
    Can you tell if the bulge lines up with the low side or high side of the barrel lugs?
    There are a couple of people on this forum who could do that, but I would think it would cost significantly more than the shipping.
    If he's in southeastern Indiana look up Henry Couch Aurora, Indiana. C&C GUN REPAIR.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I’m no expert with 1911’s, but I can’t find much that seems to be wrong with this gun. Right now I believe the barrel is suspect and depending on RIA’s response and the shipping and FFL costs, I may try to replace the barrel myself. It looks to me like the machining for the locking lugs on the barrel was pushed a bit too hard as you can actually see indentations on the inside of the barrel in those locations. That can’t be normal – correct?
    That's a significant barrel defect and really something that Rock Island should make right. Whether or not it is responsible for the erratic shooting results its still not acceptable. I have a Smith Victory pistol that had some rough areas in the bore but the pistol still shot pretty well. Smith did replace the barrel.

Attachments

• 1 victory bore.jpg
      1 victory bore.jpg
      86 KB · Views: 23

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    Initial response from Armscor is that their accuracy standard is 4 inches at 15 yards. If I return the gun for service and when tested it meets their standard, then I will be responsible for the shipping and service expenses.

I did not previously have the option to supply pictures, so I have now sent pictures and insisted that I believe there is a manufacturing defect that needs to be corrected. We'll see what they have to say now.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    The barrel is definitely bad. There are a couple of routes you can go. One is to send it in for a barrel replacement, order a Kart EZ fit barrel or take it to a gunsmith that knows his way around a 1911. Allen Moore in Avon is the 1911 gunsmith I would recommend. I know his work very well. He is here on INGO as well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The barrel is definitely bad. There are a couple of routes you can go. One is to send it in for a barrel replacement, order a Kart EZ fit barrel or take it to a gunsmith that knows his way around a 1911. Allen Moore in Avon is the 1911 gunsmith I would recommend. I know his work very well. He is here on INGO as well.
    And I wonder...

With the right quality barrel, might that increase the accuracy a bit? I could hold tighter groups than that spec with my Kimber, and I dont recall those things being rated super high on fit/finish/accuracy.

I know barrel swaps can definitely improve accuracy in a rifle. Not so sure about pistols.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    As ChurchMouse told me there is no such thing as drop in parts for 1911's, and in my case I have no skill at fitting so it goes to my gunsmith. I miss CM. I learned a lot about 1911's from him. I should say I learned more than I did.

Top Bottom