• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Be sure to keep the INGO classifieds in mind in a couple years when you replace that unit.

I have put more than one "outdated" electronic device to use on my network. These old units are great for dedicated streaming devices. Police scanner apps, radio/tv streams, etc. They are great for chromecasting to big screens and sending to speaker systems via bluetooth.

Often "old" android units have very nice cameras that will WIFI security type video over your home network and beyond also.

This. I usually use Swappa when looking for used equipment but you can scour ebay and other places as well. Lightly used flagship devices from the last couple years will be comparable in price to the current budget like devices and be better equipped.

IndyTim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    The biggest reason I'm leaning towards the others is the camera. The fire hd 10 cameras suck and my wife takes A LOT of pictures. I'm worried that the camera for facetime with the grandson isn't adequate enough. I believe the front camera is only 2mp on the fire where as the samsung front camera is 5 and the Vankyo is 8. The rear camera for pic taking is much better on the Vankyo at 13mp.

Good to hear though that the Fire seems to be a good tablet for everything else. I was a little worried that all the bloatware pre installed would make it slow and take up most the internal memory

If you need FaceTime, you should be looking at only Apple products.
    Unless, something has changed with that?

IndyTim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If you need FaceTime, you should be looking at only Apple products.
    Unless, something has changed with that?

I'm not familiar with a lot of the internet terms. She calls it facetime but I believe its Skype or something like that. We both have android phones and that's how she video chats as of now.

IndyTim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I'm not familiar with a lot of the internet terms. She calls it facetime but I believe its Skype or something like that. We both have android phones and that's how she video chats as of now.

OK, cool, then you’re not bound to the Apple eco-system.
    I didn’t realize this was a thing people do, using FaceTime as a generic term for video-conferencing.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    OK, cool, then you’re not bound to the Apple eco-system.
    I didn’t realize this was a thing people do, using FaceTime as a generic term for video-conferencing.

I actually figured "facetime" had something to do with Facebook.

Ingo is the extent of my social media

IndyTim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I actually figured "facetime" had something to do with Facebook.

Ingo is the extent of my social media

I can see why somebody would think that. Video calls are possible with Facebook Messenger, but it sounds like you already have an app figured out to get that done.

You’re certainly not missing much with your absence from Facebook.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Just ordered the Samsung Galaxy A7. Got the 64gb version with cover and 2 year extended warranty for $270.

I figured 2 year warranty will cover me and in 2 years I'm sure it will be completely outdated and will be looking into a new one anyway.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I know you ordered the A7 already, but here is a good review of the unit:

[video=youtube;sBMf3znGMxU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBMf3znGMxU[/video]

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I know you ordered the A7 already, but here is a good review of the unit:

[video=youtube;sBMf3znGMxU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBMf3znGMxU[/video]

Yeah. The wife is loving it. Gave it to her early because her phone took a crap. When She was shopping locally for phones she texted me while I was at work. She Was going to buy a tablet as well at the phone store so I had to let the cat out of the bag.
    Bought directly from Samsung and had it at my doorstep within 3 days. She ended up getting new phone and the A7 on the same day. Early Christmas for her

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Here's a way to throw some more $ at that A7 purchase...

[video=youtube;4kT7UHoIgLc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kT7UHoIgLc[/video]

Top Bottom