• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm not a tablet guy so I'm just reading along and Googling a little here and there, but it appears the Tab A7 has an SD card slot. I have 256GB cards in all of my devices and I have never concerned myself over space. It looks like Samsung is a little picky about what apps can be moved to SD, but is she really going to run more than 32gb of JUST apps? 256GB is a bunch of pics, videos, music, etc. Then there are 512GB cards too.

Most of the apps she will be adding will be school related. What always concerns me is the advertised internal memory seems to always be cut in half by apps preloaded. If I do go.with the A7 I will be going with the 64gb version. The 64gb version allows for up to 1tb card to be used. I figure going with the 64gb version will allow for all the apps she'll want to.install and the sd card will cover the rest easliy

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    D.K., I've really enjoyed my Samsung. I don't know which model it is, but it's about an 8" or 9" screen, with 32gb memory. I don't do a lot with it, but it's got a beautiful screen and takes good pics and movies. I think it's a Tab 8 maybe? I've had it around 2 years, I generally don't do updates, and it still runs fine. I was thinking they were more expensive than what you're talking. I'll confirm model and ask the wife what she spent on it, but again, that was a couple years ago.

Steve

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks for all the input so far. Keep it coming

Definitely like the price of the fire hd10. It can be had with the 64gb upgrade for under $150. The 32gb version is $80 right now for black friday

Reviews all look good for the Vankyo but I've never personally heard of them and only available in 32gb. Cameras seem to be the best. The S30 runs about $150 everywhere. Really would love a first person review on these

Several models of Samsung have intrigued me, but seems the A7 is what I keep trending too. The 64gb version runs $200 while the 32gb is at $150

Now I'm seeing the lenovo m10 plus the as well. 64gb version around $200

The Lenovo and Samsung seem really close spec wise.

Leary of the Fire HD just because of the uncertainty that it will run the apps necessary the wife wants to add

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    FWIW, on the extreme outside event that that this would matter, as I recall Samsung is the only brand of tablet that has a 2 way IR. I bought an old Tab 3(?) to use exclusively as a home theater universal remote because I can program the remote app for it off of the other remotes and fully customize the main remote "display" for what I want, then flip through the more detailed versions for each component.

Unlikely that your wife would care, but maybe?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Vellum graph paper tablets worked pretty good for patching .40 caliber but the grid ink turned my tongue blue.

Sorry. Thirty-five years ago I was using computer systems to identify undocumented welds and deviations from design in nuclear reactor control systems but I don't know doodly about tablets except maybe daily vitamins.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you want a sub $200 tablet, don't ever use a more expensive one. Now is the time to grab up the 2019 models as retailers clear them out. I have twins and just grabbed a pair of Samsung Tab A 10.1s for them in your budget range. As a technology professional they are painful for me to use. Once an app is started they do fine but don't have the RAM to do more than one thing at once. My 3 year old Pixel 2 phone and 4 year old Pixel C tablet are both far superior. The Tab s6 on the other hand is a properly equipped device and has been under $400 recently. Batteries are usually the limiting factor of mobile the device life cycle. They are consumable and the more times you run them to 0% power the shorter their lifespan. That said, tablets with larger batteries will live longer as you won't be draining them as often. As with most things technology you will get what you pay for. Suffer with underpowered inexpensive devices and buy a new one every year or spend some $ on a proper device and be happy with it for many years. If you get something with less than 64gb of storage make sure it supports microSD cards.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks jkaetz for the info. From what I can find on the A7 after preloaded apps and whatnot there's 51gb left from the 64. I believe that would be good for the apps the wife will install. Memory card could also store any apps that could be moved to it. Rest of memory card would be mostly pics and maybe some music.

She's not wanting the tablet for really anything more than making it easier on the eyes (apps for the kids school and I'm sure spacebook and whatnot) and Skype/facetine/zoom, whatever the hell its called, along with maybe some videos on YouTube and the like.

It will not be for watching movies or gaming

As to cloud storage, no I dont really trust it, but it also costs money over a certain gb or mb if I'm not mistaken. So now have added a monthly bill to the mix

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks jkaetz for the info. From what I can find on the A7 after preloaded apps and whatnot there's 51gb left from the 64. I believe that would be good for the apps the wife will install. Memory card could also store any apps that could be moved to it. Rest of memory card would be mostly pics and maybe some music.

She's not wanting the tablet for really anything more than making it easier on the eyes (apps for the kids school and I'm sure spacebook and whatnot) and Skype/facetine/zoom, whatever the hell its called, along with maybe some videos on YouTube and the like.

It will not be for watching movies or gaming

As to cloud storage, no I dont really trust it, but it also costs money over a certain gb or mb if I'm not mistaken. So now have added a monthly bill to the mix
    64GB is certainly workable with or without alternate storage. Sounds like the Tab A series will do the job for your use case. I'm far more demanding of my technology than most.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive had great luck with my Zenpad 10 from Asus. Not cheap, but great performance. Granted I only use it when I'm on the road on business. (lighter than packing my personal laptop) So its only used for youtube, facebook, INGO, etc and not anything heavy but I like it.

And Asus makes quality gear.

EDIT Beware there are several versions out there. The older one is a Z300 series. Current mfr is z500 series. I'm running the 300 and its OK, but Im sure it will be dated soon. And Amazon only seems to have refurbs of the 500s So you might check a Verizon store. They seem to be the main seller of these. You might even be able to get one without the data plan, or buy it with a month to month and cancel the service in the 2nd month.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Gotcha. Do we have any evidence that Google storage has been privacy compromised?

By anyone outside Google? No. (password leaks not withstanding)

But when your mailman is reading your mail, does it matter if somebody else is? Either way is bad.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive had great luck with my Zenpad 10 from Asus. Not cheap, but great performance. Granted I only use it when I'm on the road on business. (lighter than packing my personal laptop) So its only used for youtube, facebook, INGO, etc and not anything heavy but I like it.

And Asus makes quality gear.

EDIT Beware there are several versions out there. The older one is a Z300 series. Current mfr is z500 series. I'm running the 300 and its OK, but Im sure it will be dated soon. And Amazon only seems to have refurbs of the 500s So you might check a Verizon store. They seem to be the main seller of these. You might even be able to get one without the data plan, or buy it with a month to month and cancel the service in the 2nd month.

Looked into that one. Definitely above my price range for what its gonna be used for. I appreciate the insight though

At the moment leaning towards the Samsung A7. Seems like it shouldn't have a problem doing what she needs and probably capable of more than it will ever be used for.

Few days till BF so any more input or options is more than welcome.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Few days till BF so any more input or options is more than welcome.

The BF deals have been rolling out for weeks now and a lot of them have been selling out immediately, no rain checks. So if something is on you radar and is a reasonably heavy ticket item, keep your ear to the ground for deals well in advance.

Camelcamelcamel is a great website for Amazon price monitoring. Usually when a place like Best Buy drops the price on something, so does Amazon, and it will email alert you immediately when that happens.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Just ordered the Samsung Galaxy A7. Got the 64gb version with cover and 2 year extended warranty for $270.

I figured 2 year warranty will cover me and in 2 years I'm sure it will be completely outdated and will be looking into a new one anyway.

Thanks for everyone's input.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Be sure to keep the INGO classifieds in mind in a couple years when you replace that unit.

I have put more than one "outdated" electronic device to use on my network. These old units are great for dedicated streaming devices. Police scanner apps, radio/tv streams, etc. They are great for chromecasting to big screens and sending to speaker systems via bluetooth.

Often "old" android units have very nice cameras that will WIFI security type video over your home network and beyond also.

Top Bottom