• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Considering the 243 has more velocity and energy than a 22-250, I wonder why the 22-250 would be better?
    Not saying its better, Just don't understand hunting coyotes from 300-400yds !? Most coyotes we kill are way less then 100yds. Most are coming to the call and are shotgun close. We have one guy with a shotgun and one with a rifle. We use a fox pro and a wiggler. They see the wiggler and focus in on it. But then again we are not doing a lot of night hunting. We mainly hunt mornings , mid day and evenings .

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    One advantage I will have for ranging is I will mostly be hunting my deer hunting stomping grounds, and have lived in this area for 40 years. For the most part I will know X woodline is Y yards away. I wont be able to get it exact, but I will be close.

The good news is, I thought I was out of H322, but I dug through the back of my cabinet today, and found a un opened keg. I've got some 55gr vmax's worked up for the AR, and am waiting on Saturday (no wind) to test. Unless I see something surprising on the chrono, and target 243 wins.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Not a big deal on velocity at the ranges we hunt . it's a dog. No need to reach out to 300-400yds. You get runners after the first shot then you shoot 100 or 200 , but its tuff to hit a dog moving for his life at them ranges.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not saying its better, Just don't understand hunting coyotes from 300-400yds !? Most coyotes we kill are way less then 100yds. Most are coming to the call and are shotgun close. We have one guy with a shotgun and one with a rifle. We use a fox pro and a wiggler. They see the wiggler and focus in on it. But then again we are not doing a lot of night hunting. We mainly hunt mornings , mid day and evenings .

I've got calling spots like that as well where I bring a shotgun, and ditch the rifle. Ive also got spots where I will be able to see 3/4 mile.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I’ve used .243 a fair amount. Mostly in an 18” Remington.

Simple little moderate power 85 GameKing load.. same one for deer. I don’t ask the load to be an -06 on deer, and I don’t need it to be..they’re pretty easy to kill.

Now coyotes. Well. Coyotes just don’t like that little rifle much at all. At any range.

I wouldn’t call the 85 GK really explosive outside maybe 100 yards. It’ll pass through nearly any coyote at any range. The thing about it is the offside hole it, or most any other .243 load, makes in a dog.

Raking shots, frontal/rear, joints, etc...most all if these can be forgiven with a .243, where smaller cartridges will punish you for it.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I've got calling spots like that as well where I bring a shotgun, and ditch the rifle. Ive also got spots where I will be able to see 3/4 mile.
    Yea we have spots that's open farm fields with woods or ditch's way off. We are prob hunting about the same types of places. A coyote will come a long way for a easy meal.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    the good thing with the hogster is you can program 4 different rifles into it. I have a 6x45, 223, 17&243 in one scope.
    I've tested switching b&f with no change to one rifles zero.

Top Bottom