Help me choose a city in South Central Indiana.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I am a big fan of the Trafalgar area...but Ninevah and north towards Franklin is nice too. I don't know much about SW...but lots of nice areas. Just choose your amenities. Columbus is nice but houses are expensive.

Johnson County is about the same as Bartholomew County these days. We moved to the north side of Columbus about two and a half years ago and we absolutely love it. We left Franklin because it was just getting way too busy.

KGS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2014
    Crawfordsville
    I grew up about 20 minutes from Bedford. It is a nice town and is close to a lot of other places. Bloomington is 30 minutes away for shopping. I now live farther north in Indiana and really like the Greencastle area. I also like Danville Indiana. Danville is close to Indianapolis but not to close. Danville also has a very good hospital (Hendricks Regional) if that's important to you. Good Luck!!

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I am a big fan of the Trafalgar area...but Ninevah and north towards Franklin is nice too. I don't know much about SW...but lots of nice areas. Just choose your amenities. Columbus is nice but houses are expensive.

I noticed the prices in some of these places aren't as affordable as I thought they'd be.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I noticed the prices in some of these places aren't as affordable as I thought they'd be.

What are you looking for when you get here? Since moving to Indiana years ago, I've lived in Bloomington, Bedford, and east of Mitchell. Job prospects vary considerably depending on what town you choose. Some folks like the university town atmosphere, some like the country side, some small town life, etc. If you've got kids and will be putting them in public schools, you'll want to look around...I don't know that I'd put them in Mitchell schools anymore. Bloomington is so leftist, I'd never think about moving back there plus when the kids are in town, it can be a pain in the butt doing almost anything.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

Home prices in Hendricks County are out of control right now, and I imagine many other places. Big housing shortage, not enough skilled labor to build homes. Many homes in this area are selling for more than they are worth. % rates are gonna rise and everyone wants it yesterday. A good place to find an affordable home is Heritage Lake just west of Danville in Putnam County. You get access to lake and can build a pretty nice house for $120,000's, maybe even less depending on your desires.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    It may be too far south, but Dubois County is a pretty nice mix of small city and rural areas. Lots of jobs to be had and plenty of houses for sale. were about an hour away from Evansville and Louisville, and with the new I-69 project, Bloomington and Indy aren't too far of a drive.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Its nice town and a lot of homes thst sre not all in subdivisions. Can take I70 or US40(Washington St ) to get to Indy.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Nice, good to hear, thanks! Visiting the area soon and really trying to narrow things down.

Looking at:

#1 Greenfield
    #2 Avon/Brownsburg/Plainfield
    #3 Martinsville/Franklin/Shelbyville

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    Depending on if you will be renting or buying may have an impact on location. Rents can vary greatly between towns. Either way if you want me to email you some properties so you can start to get an idea let me know. If you plan on renting I can email properties with rent prices too but they get scarce in the rural areas.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Depending on if you will be renting or buying may have an impact on location. Rents can vary greatly between towns. Either way if you want me to email you some properties so you can start to get an idea let me know. If you plan on renting I can email properties with rent prices too but they get scarce in the rural areas.
    Thanks!

Yeah I've noticed that. Seems like less for rent even % wise when you get farther out. Guess folks are less transient there.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I grew up in Columbus. It's starting to get kinda big, but in the right areas still has that small(ish) town feel with the bigger city shops and stuff. My folks still live there. They like it, but they lock their doors these days...

Seems like even the out-of-town areas have to worry these days. too much meth from the low-income areas all over? Part of what gave my wife the kick to interest her in guns was someone going through our cars in the driveway overnight july 4 a few years ago even though we are outside town (my truck was unlocked, firebird easy to open, her car resisted and they broke a window).

+1 for Columbus tho, get something outside the city limits and taxes/prices drop dramatically. Rent's crazy around here tho, my mortgage+tax is 200 less than rent for 2x the house, 20x the proprty, sizable pole-barn (largely because I left town)

Fair number of ranges and stores in the area too, the previously mentioned Seymour area is 20 minutes south, couple stores in town here, few more within 20-30 minutes north, even more if you count the small 1-room stores with no web presence that are hard to find on a map.

Something else to keep an eye out with housing around here is watch the terrain for rivers and floodplains. There are a lot of rivers. we had 3 days off from school 2 weeks ago due to the number of road closures.

jt1975

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Whiteland
    Agree Whiteland, Franklin and Bargersville. You can live outside of town and have that country feeling but still only be about 15 min away from town.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have been casually looking at the arc that runs from Crawfordsville south thru Greencastle, around thru Spencer, and even around to Bedford. Can still be rural, but not too far from civilization.

Top Bottom