• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Never thought id hear that out of you...

i just saw that. To bad its a 9.
    In truth it still stings a bit but the last 10 or so Rocks I have fondled were really not bad pieces especially for the money. I would not spend a dime modifying one past a set of grips for one but they seem to have stepped up their game .

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I talked to the Ronan guy. I was hoping to spend a little less then that, and it's a 9. I also talked to someone about a used stainless Springfield that had just a little work done to it, and I could probably just afford it, but then I wouldn't have anything left over for a couple mags and a holster. I'm not in a hurry, so eventually the right one will come along.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with advice. I'll do a range report when I finally do get one.
    Keep your eye out and the deal will eventually be presented to you. I wasnt really looking for a 1911 when I found this one for $500. Didn't have the brake on it, or grips in pic, but came with 3 factory mags and a nice leather owb holster as well.
    Ruger SR1911. Has been absolutely flawless for me running any ammo. Fmj, hp, mix matched ammo in the mags. Everything I've fed it has fed and went bang. Extremely accurate as well

20191116_175621.jpg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I love my Springfield stainless 1911 TRP, but that's about 2x the stated budget.

Not sure if I want to support Springfield going forward or not remembering some conroversy the company had regarding support for certain bills (Illinois?). Probably worth giving them a second chance because their products are generally very fine.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I love my Springfield stainless 1911 TRP, but that's about 2x the stated budget.

Not sure if I want to support Springfield going forward or not remembering some conroversy the company had regarding support for certain bills (Illinois?). Probably worth giving them a second chance because their products are generally very fine.
    Most gun companies have stepped in it somehow over the years.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Keep your eye out and the deal will eventually be presented to you. I wasnt really looking for a 1911 when I found this one for $500. Didn't have the brake on it, or grips in pic, but came with 3 factory mags and a nice leather owb holster as well.
    Ruger SR1911. Has been absolutely flawless for me running any ammo. Fmj, hp, mix matched ammo in the mags. Everything I've fed it has fed and went bang. Extremely accurate as

Good luck finding a Ronin. I was the guys with this thread a month ago. Ended up settling for a Taurus until i can find a Ronin. The Taurus will probably stick around though, its a nice straight shooter and hasn't given me any issues.
    Taurus is a forged slide and frame also. I don't see why you couldn't get one and fix it if needed. I may go that route too if I can't find a Ronin 10mm. Forged over cast.

240sx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2019
    Fishers
    Look at the Springfield Ronin series. They have a commander model. The MSRP is higher than your target, but I'm not sure what street prices are. Probably not too good right now.

i have owned 3 SA pistols and my brother has owned a couple. No issues with any of them and my current is a 9 mm which supposedly can be finicky.

Knock on wood, mine has always run well.
    I looked at one of these at a shop in downtown Anderson. Ronin was looking real sharp

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Some one offered me a stainless Springfield that had a little work done to it, but is was at the top of my budget, and I wouldn't have anything left to buy a holster and mags. Now that we are getting some government cheese I could afford to spend a little extra. If I could remember who it was I might check it out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some one offered me a stainless Springfield that had a little work done to it, but is was at the top of my budget, and I wouldn't have anything left to buy a holster and mags. Now that we are getting some government cheese I could afford to spend a little extra. If I could remember who it was I might check it out.
    Be careful buying a modified 1911. No knock on the member that made the offer at all but we have all seen some work that is borderline or below

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I lost a couple PM's with the site change, which is why I don't have his user name. But he said the trigger was loved on by some one I trust to do it right. I don't know how it is set up, I may not like it it. But I might.

If not, another one will come along.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I ran across some Iver Johnson 1911's my understanding they are forged frame and slide. They look pretty on the outside. Are they good 1911's?

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    My go to recommendation is a 5” SW1911 E series. They work out of the box with no fuse.
    The trigger on the E series is really exceptional and highly underrated.
    I wish they would make a 9mm E series 1911.
    I think the closest they do is a 9mm Pro.

SIG does some really good 1911s too.

I wouldn't kick a Ruger out the door either.

I want to like Kimbers, but they seem to be hit or miss sometimes.
    I think they are like Colts, hit or miss.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I did email Iver Johnson about their 1911's. Found out they are not forged frame but cast and made in the Philippines. Since I don't want a cast frame that puts them off my list of hopefuls. They are pretty though.

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I had no idea it would be this hard to find an $800.00 1911. I did find a Springfield mil-spec on GB for $700.00. But I'm not crazy about the mil spec look.

Too bad I don't want a Kimber, I found a couple of those for sale.

Still hoping for a deal on a nice used one before my wife spends my gun money on house stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had no idea it would be this hard to find an $800.00 1911. I did find a Springfield mil-spec on GB for $700.00. But I'm not crazy about the mil spec look.

Too bad I don't want a Kimber, I found a couple of those for sale.

Still hoping for a deal on a nice used one before my wife spends my gun money on house stuff.
    I wish I still had a couple of as built to offer you but all of mine are well north X's 2 of your budget.

Top Bottom