• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I have been having a rough year. A couple trips to the hospital, all the Covid stuff, etc. etc. Things are starting to look up, so I was thinking of using my meager Christmas bonus to get something to cheer myself up. But what do I want.

A couple weeks ago I was sorting through my ammo and supply stash, and found half an ammo can of .45 ammo. And a couple thousand cast bullets. And a bunch of primers. And a Chip McCormick magazine. And a bushing wrench.

It was sign. I need another 1911.

If you had about $800 to spend, what would you be looking for? I like carrying a commander, but prefer shooting a full size. I carry a High Power every day, so barrel length is a wash.

I don't mind doing a few upgrades myself, and it will eventually get it cut for a red dot. So I don't need it fully tricked out to start with. I just need a good reliable base to start from.

Being cheap, my first thought was a Rock Island, but I'm learning cheap isn't always the best. So, please help me to not waste my money.

Thanks!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've always heard Springfield makes a nice one. Don't have one personally though. I like Ruger's so if I was in the market for one now, I'd check them out as well. There's several 1911 gurus on here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ruger is a decent way to get into the game. I can not knock them just not enamored with the metallurgy.
    Any number of Springfield's especially if you are going to get deeper into it. The Range Officer series us a solid launch platform for a decent build but as they come is pretty decent as well.
    The Loaded models have decent parts and for the most part are spot on reliable and accurate.

Look into the used market.

If you can get past the money angle step north of the Rocks. If not there are some solid ones out there.

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I was guessing Springfield would be at the top of the list. The only one I had had to go back, it wouldn't feed anything but ball, and that was iffy. It never did run 100%. But that was 20 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking for a used Springfield.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was guessing Springfield would be at the top of the list. The only one I had had to go back, it wouldn't feed anything but ball, and that was iffy. It never did run 100%. But that was 20 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking for a used Springfield.

You stand the chance of getting a turd from any mafg. That is just the way of it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Look at the Springfield Ronin series. They have a commander model. The MSRP is higher than your target, but I'm not sure what street prices are. Probably not too good right now.

i have owned 3 SA pistols and my brother has owned a couple. No issues with any of them and my current is a 9 mm which supposedly can be finicky.

Knock on wood, mine has always run well.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    If I can't get a Colt LW Commander, the Ronin is my next choice. Got to have Allen smooth out the sharp corners on my Competition Model first though. Then I'm thinking of having him melt the LW when I get it.

Bob

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They are pretty. That is my humble opinion.
    They do make some of the best looking ones out there, but I doubt I would ever buy another one.
    Sig makes some really good looking ones. Their MIM isn't as high a quality as Colt's and they have more of it. But as far as running, most people have given good reports on them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    High on my list was:
    Springfield
    Ruger
    Kimber

i went with the Kimber and couldn’t be happier. :ar15:

Well it sure is pretty.....:):

I owned a couple of the original pieces and regret selling them to this day.

We have owned 3 or 4 of the new ones and were terribly dis-satisfied.

But they sure were pretty....:):

Wish you the best of luck with yours.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'd also recommend the Ruger SR1911 series. I had a commander that I sold to another member on here as I was gravitating more towards the DW model line, and honestly I should have kept it as it never had a malfunction and was plenty accurate. I have seen/heard CM talk about the metallurgy of the Ruger offerings more than once, and if you want a long-term foundation to build on he's providing solid advice on this front. But I still give Ruger the nod as I think they make a tremendous amount of gun for your dollar investment.

Top Bottom