• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Ft Wayne
    First off "HAPPY NEW YEAR" to all that read this, and Thanks for all that reply.

I am looking for a rifle that will put down Smokey Mountain bears, and wild hogs. I am gun dumb. Do they make a semi auto that will do this? The area we camp has both, and I would feel better knowing I have something if I ever need it.

Thanks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bears, hogs, semi auto............in a sporting sense a Ruger .44 would be cool.
    But if just for personal protection, and home defense, I'd opt for a 12 gauge shotgun.
    My choice would be Remington 1100 auto, or 870 pump (I actually have both for hunting/defense).

With more folks rifle hunting in Indiana, and with Xmas bills coming up, and hunting season almost over...............might be a good time in the near future to score a deal on a nice used deer rig (get smoothbore, or choketube, NOT a fully rifled).

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    159   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    If you are looking for something in semi auto and not so budget minded the .450 bushmaster or .458 socom will work very well on anything you are hunting.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull.

Well, o.k. This is the long gun forum, and I guess you did ask about RIFLES, so how 'bout the Rossi/Puma lever .454 Casull.

wdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Ft Wayne
    Thanks for the replys.

We go camping near Bluefield, WV. My family owns 1000+ acres. This is all private land. There are 5 of us that take UTVS there. I carry a LCR .357 with shot shells to take care of snakes. We all cary Ruger Mini 14"s. The last two times we felt something was stalking us. We have seem bears there and a wild pig. The last time , something was breaking tree limbs after dark. We camp in an open field, so we can see anything coming at us. We asked who it was. No answer. We said we were going to shoot. No answer. There was a loud branch break and we opened fire. The next morning after a sleepless night night, we went looking in the woods. Broken limbs, no blood, nothing. Maybe it was The Blair Witch, Bigfoot, Mothman, bear, we don't know.

We are going with the AR10 .308 suggestion.

I use a Mossberg 12 gage for home defense, and carry a Sig Sauer P224 .357.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Given that last story, might also be good to carry a bright taclight or portable spotlight? that way you can light up the branches instead of politely asking the noisemaker breaking them to answer. :): What is it Mr Cooper said? Oh yeah. Rule 4: Know your target.

While I wont dissuade you from an AR10, Your Mossberg is more than adequate. Want to shorten it a bit? Spend about $100 on the 18 1/2" HD barrel. Carry slugs or 00Buck (or alternate the two in the tube) and you'll be fine. (without spending a fortune)

ETA:

[h=3]RULE 4
    BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET[/h] You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for the replys.

We go camping near Bluefield, WV. My family owns 1000+ acres. This is all private land. There are 5 of us that take UTVS there. I carry a LCR .357 with shot shells to take care of snakes. We all cary Ruger Mini 14"s. The last two times we felt something was stalking us. We have seem bears there and a wild pig. The last time , something was breaking tree limbs after dark. We camp in an open field, so we can see anything coming at us. We asked who it was. No answer. We said we were going to shoot. No answer. There was a loud branch break and we opened fire. The next morning after a sleepless night night, we went looking in the woods. Broken limbs, no blood, nothing. Maybe it was The Blair Witch, Bigfoot, Mothman, bear, we don't know.

Geez...

My friend, you don't need a gun you need to sell the ones you have and get some training.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Dude, what the hell's wrong with you that you "open fire" at sounds in the night?

That's stupid. That's stupid and horribly reckless.

You're damn lucky when you got up in the morning there wasn't some dead kid lying in the woods.

Quit doing stupid things like that.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I would think a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs would do a good job on anything you wanted it to.

This was my first thought. You can also shoot rabbits, squirrels, doves, ducks, deer and any varmint on 2 or 4 legs.

After typing this post, I am going to go home and hug my shotguns. :gheyhi:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I agree with some of the others, you need a lot more training, and as far as rifles go, an AR 10 would be my choice. I have one and it rocks. If I was wanting something smaller and lighter, a Rossi 92 in .44 mag would work well.

Dave

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

I think that would be a good choice.

We had wild hog problems in Texas, they are not an easy animal to kill. A .30 cal rifle lets the air out of them pretty well. I would not put a scope on the rig, set it up for quick sight alignment, like a combat rear aperature with a fiber optic front sight.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thanks for thaireplys.

For punching holes in the night air, your mini14's are perfect. I'm not sure why you need a heavier caliber. You guys must really get each other worked up. I think you should consider bringing an adult along. And let him hold your ammo.

Top Bottom