• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I was thinking about getting a couple suppressors, as a first time user, what should I look for, brands, types, needed accessories, etc.
    I currently have an H&K USP 9T and a Browning HP with a spare threaded barrel and the SIg MPX. So I will want one for pistol. I think I would like a .22 rimfire. I also have one of those Sig 516 uppers with 14.5 inch barrel that I was thinking about getting a 1.5 inch muzzle device and suppressor for. I see some suppressors attach to muzzle devices, some direct attach. Is there some online info that would be helpful to read? Thanks.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    For the pistol I'd recommend a rugged obsidian 9. For 5.56 it doesn't suppress well so a yhm turbo k or sandman k 5.56/.223 is never going to be quit so might as well go short. Deadair's muzzle devices are long enough to pin and weld I think yhm's are also long enough.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I originally thought I'd buy 1 "do-it-all" and went with the SilencerCo Hybrid 46. It is now my rifle can (AR and 308 bolt gun) and attaches to a muzzle device. I have a pistol can (SiCo Octane 45k) that direct threads on. Now I have a SiCo Omega 9k in jail along with a Noveske Space Invader that the can is dedicated to - it attaches with a 3 lug.

I stuck with 1 brand, because in the event I want to switch up the lineup its easier to just buy a different muzzle device than it is to buy a new can.

efd1295

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Northern IN
    As someone who just went through your dilemma about a year ago, I'd say it's the Ford vs. Chevy, Sig vs. Glock, Milwaukee vs. Dewalt. Everyone is going to have their favorites and are some better than others? Sure, however in today's market, I'm not sure you have the ability to be picky. Inventory is scarce. I went the quick detach route at the time because I thought it would make it easier to move between hosts. What I failed to realize is that each host now needs a proprietary muzzle device, which gets pricey. I don't have any cans for pistols so I can't help you there, but if you have someone in your area that will let you shoot one it might help you make your decision. What area are you in? I'd be happy to let you see and shoot what I have if you're close. I can't say enough good things about Silencershop. I've bought all my stuff through them. They make it very easy. I'm on my 3rd can and haven't touched a piece of paper.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    It sounds like you want 3 silencers. I wouldn't recommend a 9mm or a .223 can if you're only buying 3. The bigger diameters are rated for so much more than you'd expect. I have an Obsidian in .45 and it'll do .45-70, .45 colt, .44, .357, 9mm, .300 blk subsonic, etc. If you ever think you'll get another threaded barrel on something else you'll be glad you have a more versatile can. But mounts get expensive. $80 for each one adds up if you've got German and American thread pitches to buy for.

Just about any .22 rimfire can is fine. Be aware if you have stainless internals or aluminum. Stainless is easier to clean and rimfire is dirty. You'll be cleaning it every 500 rounds.

There's quite a few manufacturers that do mounts for rifles. Some are designed for 1.5" needs like this YHM mount. Quick detach is nice because you're not shooting a rifle without a flash hider or brake on it if the can can't be used for some reason like it's on another host. But direct thread is cheaper. Nothing to buy except a different mount if you have 1/2x28 and 5/8x24.

Good luck in your search. Silencershop has a lot of good videos of product testing.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have a Gemtech 22 and a Silencerco Hybrid. Been very happy with both purchases. Hybrid works for pistols up to big bore rifles. If you look at the decible reduction, the Hybrid does almost as well as dedicated rifle cans.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So it doesn't sound like you lose much sound reduction in getting a .45 can and shoot it with a 9mm? Same goes for a 30 cal can shooting 5.56? I don't think I have any .45s with a threaded barrel at this point. But I would like to get one, either a barrel for one of the Sig (maybe the P227) or a H&K USP.

If I am reading above, you would likely be able to use a pistol suppressor on the .300 blk rather than a rifle model?

Thanks for the responses above and the ones by PM.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So it doesn't sound like you lose much sound reduction in getting a .45 can and shoot it with a 9mm? Same goes for a 30 cal can shooting 5.56? I don't think I have any .45s with a threaded barrel at this point. But I would like to get one, either a barrel for one of the Sig (maybe the P227) or a H&K USP.

If I am reading above, you would likely be able to use a pistol suppressor on the .300 blk rather than a rifle model?

Watch the pistol suppressor for 300Blk. Read the manufacturer's recommendations.

A can for a larger caliber will not suppress as well as one made for the smaller caliber.

What I would suggest is figure out what is most important to you in your suppressor. Size, Weight, and Suppression are going to vary model to model. Once you know which is most important to you, you can start narrowing down your options.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    KLB is 100% on finding out what you need first. Then find something that fits that need. My local range does have a few cans for rent there and that's the reason I got started down that path. Maybe you can find one that does that near you?

You buy a do it all can and you might as well buy a Leatherman as the only tool in your toolbox. It does a lot, it's good when you need it, but it does it poorly. The obsidan .45 is rated for subsonic .300 blk and has a replaceable endcap for 9mm (I have it, it's not worth the price of admission)

When you start chasing decibels you're wasting time for the most part. Everyone lies about test data and it's easily obscured by weather, ammo, where exactly the microphone was, reverberations from things around you. If you're looking for 3 cans get yourself a rifle, pistol, and .22. A do it all one will disappoint you. I've screwed the rifle can on to my 22/45 for fun and it's not fun with all that weight hanging off the end. Have fun watching videos. I like watching other people spend money and learning from them. Once you buy one it's yours forever basically, they hold little value on the secondary market and it usually doesn't make sense to sell it.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    If you don't plan on suppressing 45 get a 9mm can they're lighter, shorter, and quieter. Also silencershop just got a bunch of deadair cans in stock.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Using Silencershop makes the process really easy for your first time. If you are in the Indy area, Parabellum Arms in Avon has a Silencershop kiosk and allows you to shoot your silencer at their indoor range while you wait the 6 to 18 months for ATF approval to take it home. The top .30 caliber cans are the Silencerco Omega 30, Silencerco Omega 36M, Dead Air Nomad, EA Vox S, Rugged Radiant, and YHM Resonator. All of those cans are great choices. The 36M is a 9mm bore, so you could also use it on 9mm PCCs. For .45 or 9mm, the Rugged Obsidian is the champ. The CGS Nautilus and Mod9 are slightly more quiet, but have aluminum baffles which limits cleaning options. For rimfire, look at the Dead Air Mask, Rugged Oculus, and EA NYX Mod1/2. For QD mounting options, I prefer using Griffin taper mounts. They are short, light, and support everything from .223 up to .45.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I own a number of cans and here's what I can tell you. Lot of guys say get a 45, 308 and 22 can (3 total) and you will be good to go. Suppressor manufactures will say buy a can for each caliber. I've got two 22 cans, one 5.56 can and a Optimus which will do everything from 22 to 308 (no 45 or 40 cal).

22 cans are great, get one that you can take apart. You have to use sub sonic ammo with rifles to keep them quiet, most pistols are sub sonic from the get go. By far the closest to 'movie quiet' you will find.

5.56 / 308 cans are LOUD. They cut about 30 DB off but you still get the ballistic crack. Almost not worth having as you still have to wear ears.

9mm cans are LOUD. Again they cut about 30 DB off and you have to shoot subsonic (under powered) rounds to make it sound good. Again, I wear ears but my friends say I have wienie ears.

Pretty much any 45 you shoot is subsonic from the get go. Still loud if you ask me.

300 black out. Super sonic is LOUD, sub sonic is ok but super wienie in ballistics. No, I wouldn't want to get shot by either one.

Mounts / quick attach vs screw on. I thought it would be super cool to move the can from gun to gun. Well, that's a great idea on paper but the can changes the point of impact for each gun. Soooooo, you pretty much have to dedicate a can to a specific gun. Mounts are about $100 per gun which adds up.

Cans get super dirty and make the gun super dirty.

You can chase DBs via Youtube reviews and such till your eyes bleed. Just buy one that has a good rep from a good company that stands behind their product and you will be ok.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County

That's why I like the hybrid. Multiple endcaps and thread mounting options.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My biggest piece of advice would be to get your cans from a supplier that's been around for a lot of years will still be here in years to come. My first can was a kestrel from Huntertown arms and while the initial reviews were great, the whole time I was waiting on my paperwork to clear the reviews started to pour in about quality control problems and business struggles.

My favorite can I have is an AAC SDN-6 because I can use it easily on a lot of guns just by switching out their muzzle devices. I've used it on a bolt action 308, bolt action 6.5 creedmoor, an AR-15, and on my M&P 15-22 with subsonics it's hollywood quiet.

Dedicated pistol cans have never impressed me regardless of the brand.

22lr cans are definitely the most enjoyable to use.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    As mentioned above, The SilencerCo hybrid 46 is a great all around can. There are multiple mount options, end cap options etc. If you sign up for emails from SilencerCo they run sales a couple of times a year where all accessories are sometimes up to 40% off. That is when I get what I need. Bobcat steel in Shelbyville just got a shipment of I think 8 hybrids in and he says turn around time is down to about 5 months. I love the one I have.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    9mm cans are LOUD. Again they cut about 30 DB off and you have to shoot subsonic (under powered) rounds to make it sound good. Again, I wear ears but my friends say I have wienie ears.

Of everything you said, this is the only part I will push back on. Heavy 9mm bullets (147 grain and up) are subsonic without necessary being under powered. Many of the best-performing 9mm defensive loads are subsonic.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My biggest piece of advice would be to get your cans from a supplier that's been around for a lot of years will still be here in years to come. My first can was a kestrel from Huntertown arms and while the initial reviews were great, the whole time I was waiting on my paperwork to clear the reviews started to pour in about quality control problems and business struggles.
    This is something that I have always worried about. You see lifetime warranty thrown around a lot but a couple guys working in their garage might not be around when you need them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am up by South Bend area.
    It appears, from my LGS, that suppressors like a lot of gun stuff are pretty well picked over right now.
    I am on board with getting 3 at this point. Looks like I am leaning toward a .22 rimfire ( make sure it is stainless and self serviceable), pistol likely a .45 but will need to develop a good host in that caliber. Then I will try it on my 2 9mm and see how it goes. Rifle will be a 30 cal.

Top Bottom