Hearing sirens? Finding out why could get harder as Central Indiana police encrypt radios

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

I can see both sides of this predicament. But secret police has bad news written all over it. Especially when the police want to monitor everything I transmit. JMO

Police being the .gov.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I can see both sides of this predicament. But secret police has bad news written all over it. Especially when the police want to monitor everything I transmit. JMO

Police being the .gov.

It'd be interesting to know what the average LEO thinks of this vs those in admin, who often seem to have an agenda?

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    It'd be interesting to know what the average LEO thinks of this vs those in admin, who often seem to have an agenda?

Same here. But ”average” is a hard thing to pin down. If you have a 50/50 of uniform and street clothing officers it might be a push.

My thinking is if they can hear me I should be able to hear them. But that horse left the gate in the 80’s.

If we could only make the assumption that “all LEO” were moral people it would be an easier judgment, but we all know that is not the case. As much as we all wish it was. It now becomes a question of who’s morality are we going to use as a base for our judgment. It’s a tuff call no matter where you stand.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Same here. But ”average” is a hard thing to pin down. If you have a 50/50 of uniform and street clothing officers it might be a push.

My thinking is if they can hear me I should be able to hear them. But that horse left the gate in the 80’s.

If we could only make the assumption that “all LEO” were moral people it would be an easier judgment, but we all know that is not the case. As much as we all wish it was. It now becomes a question of who’s morality are we going to use as a base for our judgment. It’s a tuff call no matter where you stand.

With all due respect my friend, we might just get some INGO officer participation, as long as we a careful not to let this thread turn into another cop bashing one. :nono: Just sayin'...

:twocents:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    With all due respect my friend, we might just get some INGO officer participation, as long as we a careful not to let this thread turn into another cop bashing one. :nono: Just sayin'...

:twocents:
    Well aware, they have nothing to be angry with me about. I’ve got nothing but respect for them, and I’m thinking they may feel the same as I. They know better than I who the bad apples are. After all they are a subsection of America, and math doesn’t lie. If they were all Serpico we wouldn’t have had a great movie. I’ll be the last person on here to bash any govt. official no matter the branch or party. My postings are open for all to review you will never find me bashing any one. I may disagree with some, but I’ll keep it to myself. I was taught to respect the rank/office, not the man. Drill Sgt. Gilroy 1968.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The best solution is probably to have all general patrol traffic unencrypted. That's the information that's most useful to the public, anyway. Any confidential information or tactical traffic can be run on encrypted channels. Seems like a reasonable compromise between public awareness, personal ID information confidentiality and officer safety.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    In 8 years, I've never listened to anything
    a non-cop transmitted not affiliated with a government entity while performing my duties. I'm not sure where that idea comes from. Different experiences, I suppose.

Outside of the "tac" stuff, my main concern is address info, identifying info, phone numbers, and other details being broadcast on open channels. Even mundane calls are a treasure trove of potential fraud info. Got pulled over? Prepare to have your full name, DOB, DL number, plate number, vehicle description, and possibly your address put over the air. I don't like it, from either side of the badge. Encrypt it all.

Most places don't have the resources to have dedicated NCIC/BMV channels, and it comes with another set of problems anyway.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In 8 years, I've never listened to anything a non-cop transmitted while performing my duties. I'm not sure where that idea comes from. Different experiences, I suppose.

Outside of the "tac" stuff, my main concern is address info, identifying info, phone numbers, and other details being broadcast on open channels. Even mundane calls are a treasure trove of potential fraud info. Got pulled over? Prepare to have your full name, DOB, DL number, plate number, vehicle description, and possibly your address put over the air. I don't like it, from either side of the badge. Encrypt it all.

Most places don't have the resources to have dedicated NCIC/BMV channels, and it comes with another set of problems anyway.
    Well thought out post. Thanks

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In 8 years, I've never listened to anything a non-cop transmitted while performing my duties. I'm not sure where that idea comes from. Different experiences, I suppose.

To be fair, they arent worried about YOU. They are concerned with feds and spooks listening. He's lumping you in with big brother in this case.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Thank you for your professional :twocents:! (As always.) :ingo:

As a loooong time scanner radio, (now app,) listener rubbernecker I'm disappointed with the encryption idea.

I had no idea that folks are frauded by details spoken of on the scanner radio channels. I have noticed that over the years the local agencies are quite guarded about using names over the air, other than the rare suspect confirmations between officers. :dunno:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thank you for your professional :twocents:! (As always.) :ingo:

As a loooong time scanner radio, (now app,) listener rubbernecker I'm disappointed with the encryption idea.

I had no idea that folks are frauded by details spoken of on the scanner radio channels. I have noticed that over the years the local agencies are quite guarded about using names over the air, other than the rare suspect confirmations between officers. :dunno:
    That is probably a regional thing. Everything here is open channels except for scheduled tac operations. Sounds like you folks might have a "headquarters" channel where identifiers are run. We used to, but things changed. Various reasons.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

The radios in my commission worked on State, Local police, INDOT, State Prisons, local fire freqs. Even heard a couple hot air balloons one time. Our radios were programmed by Ra-Comm in Lafayette.

ETA: Most time my communications were with Traffic control center North n Traffic control center South. Or me to responding State officer.

ETA X 2: That was ~ 15 yrs. ago I think that was TMC North n TMC South.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom